Thread: Anchorage June

Default Anchorage June

Hello,

Not a stranger to AK, but will actually be in the Anchorage area 2, 3rdish of June for Business, and being I love to fish, was wondering if the Reds will be coming up the Russian at that time? I've looked at past reports, and it looks pretty light for fishing that time of year for Reds on the Russian. Any other options? Kings DIY down there would be tough I imagine. Just wondering what some of my options would be.

I'm open for anything you guys might think would be good.

Fishing on the Russian is closed until 11 June. Kings on the Kenai or Kasilof would be an option as would trout on the Parks or in the lakes.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

There will be a few Reds around Bings landing from the shore. They are headed for the Russian, The kings are in the river, you could catch a small one from the bank,25 to 40 lb.

You could always stop by Ship Creek, last years King run there wasn't spectacular by any means I managed to catch one (my first) last year. It is a little stream right smack in the city. Crowded and crazy at times but easy access. Fairly easy to fish also.

I didn't realize the Russian would be shutdown until then, dang. I love fishing kings, but I love eating reds, and would rather fish for them than anything. I've fished the Gulkana, and a few rivers up that way for kings as well as Ship, but I always thought the Kenai as big as it is, would be tough to land anything. Do they actually fish that from shore for kings? How is the Halibut that time of year?

THanks Guys!

Fishing kings from shore on the Kenai is a challenge. Reds are much easier since they stay closer to the bank. You should have no problem getting a limit of halibut at that time. People are catching them right now
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

@Chad

Fishing for reds in the Kenai is easy. If they're in there, they hug the shoreline (unlike Kings). Bings and Moose's Meadow are a couple of favorites.

BUT - - Here's an interesting thing to try. There's a little creek in Seward that has a red (and hooligan!) run in late May, early June. I don't think the creek has a name, but it's easily accessed down Nash road. You'll have to pay a park to get in, but $15 won't break the bank. The thing about this... the stream passages lie in the marine area, so its considered salt water. You will see nearly everyone snagging for their reds. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtheroad View Post
    @Chad

Fishing for reds in the Kenai is easy. If they're in there, they hug the shoreline (unlike Kings). Bings and Moose's Meadow are a couple of favorites.

BUT - - Here's an interesting thing to try. There's a little creek in Seward that has a red (and hooligan!) run in late May, early June. I don't think the creek has a name, but it's easily accessed down Nash road. You'll have to pay a park to get in, but $15 won't break the bank. The thing about this... the stream passages lie in the marine area, so its considered salt water. You will see nearly everyone snagging for their reds. Check it out!
    Oh so its like fishing in valdez's Allison Point for pinks?
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Not quite. They're not nearly as abundant, and you're actually fishing in stream passages. Imagine a beach with lots of veiny streams. The good thing is, there's a clear ADFG marker that lets you know what's considered fresh and what's considered salt. Here, I've made a google map for you all.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...566d7086a357d4

Thank you I really hope i get a chance this summer to check it out.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Fish,

Thanks for the info, I will check into that. I've fished the Russian/Kenai for reds in the past and did well, but I see my timing is going to be a bit off for them unless they get an early run. I may end up staying there a few extra days if things start to look good. Alaska is all about timing fore sure!