Thread: Any bear sightings in 25C

Default Any bear sightings in 25C

I am going out Monday to put up my bear stands, and I was wondering if anyone has seen any bears out up in 25C? I am really trying to get my first bear this year and was just wondering. It doesnt matter if its a grizzly or a blackie, I just want a bear. I know I can't shoot the big brown ones over bait, but if I see one on the way out, I'm gonna see if I can connect. So if you have seen any please let me know.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    I am going out Monday to put up my bear stands, and I was wondering if anyone has seen any bears out up in 25C? I am really trying to get my first bear this year and was just wondering. It doesnt matter if its a grizzly or a blackie, I just want a bear. I know I can't shoot the big brown ones over bait, but if I see one on the way out, I'm gonna see if I can connect. So if you have seen any please let me know.
    no bears & no tracks it's still winter up there. my guess is another week at the soonest. saw one moose & one caribou.

Definitely winter on the Steese, at least as far as Twelvemile Summit. I guess it could be thawed out a little more over toward Circle, but if you're driving to Circle to put out a 55-gallon drum of donuts, I think you might be putting too much work (and gasoline) into your stand. Wandered around Wickersham a few days ago trying to take pics of ptarmigan and found waist-deep, slushy, nasty snow. It's just not quite spring yet - at least up high on the mountain. There was bare ground in the valley over toward the pipeline though.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Well we are not quite to central, and the snow is all but gone. There was snow on the summit's but none in our valley. We had no signs this time, but had plenty the first time we went out. I have a good feeling about it and I am hoping it will draw in some bears. we are gonna let it set for a week and go back out there. We still have a little work to do, but it shouldnt atke long and we should get bears on the stand soon.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Lets refresh this one a bit; anybody have some updates on the ground cover near 12mile summit? Are the mountain/hilltops uncovered and the valleys still snow covered? Has anyone had bear sightings up in that area?

I saw a marmot on a rock at Twelvemil-e on Sunday. No bears.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

drove up to central friday , snow on hill tops & no grass starting up, it's about a week behind fairbanks- on a side note if the two bear baiters that I meet in the middle of the road on the corner about 79 mile- 3 tips of advice. 1- it's a hwy stay top the side not the middle, 2 wearing all cammo will not help you when baiting & 3 there are some BIG brown things around that area. best of luck.

Is it worth my weekend and gas money to head up toward twelvemile for blackies?

Quote Originally Posted by Bgarcher44 View Post
    Is it worth my weekend and gas money to head up toward twelvemile for blackies?
    any day not at work is worth it, but as for bear I saw no sign when i came back friday. I'm sure this warm weather coming up should have them out.