Thread: towing a raft

Default towing a raft

So I have a 10ft inflatable that I put on the cabin of my 22 ft Seasport. Its a pain to get in and out, but rides up there nicely when towing the boat and when underway on the water. Going out bear hunting in a couple weeks, and the raft gets lots of use on these trips.

Question is, what is the best way to tow the raft behind my boat if so chosen? Lots of times we are in a bay, unload the raft, head to shore and hunt. Back to the big boat and go further down the inlet. I'd like to just tow the raft "x" yards behind the big boat.

Ideas on the ideal length behind the big boat would be greatly appreciated.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Wink On the side...

Another option, what I do when shrimping, is tie it tight to the side of the boat. If you are just cruising at a moderate speed, eight to ten knots, it works great! Tie the bow to the front side cleat and then pull the back in tight to the back side cleat. We do this when in and out of a cove pullin' shrimp pots a few times a day, that way it's not tailing behind the big boat, we can back up and move around when pulling up to the bouy. Sometimes we really haul-***** because we forget it's there or we are not worried about splashing it full of water if we know were going to flip it up onto the roof after a final run.

Palmer, AK.

Usually about 100' back works fairly well. Too close and it wants to wiggle around and ends up taking on water. About 70-100' back it seems to ride well in the prop wash and is still protected from the waves. My .02.

Play around with the length of the tow rope. There is ususally a sweet spot that is dependent on your boat, the dingy, and your speed. Going slow (under 10 kts), tying off to the side works real well. You can maneuver around without worrying about getting a rope tangled in your prop.