Thread: What broadhead for a Brown Bear?

Question What broadhead for a Brown Bear?

I currently use Muzzy 125's and have had great luck with them on moose, caribou, and black bears all with a complete pass thru. Has anyone used them on Brown Bears and what was the results? I shoot a Mathews Outback 29" draw set at 67 lbs with Gold tip hunter xt arrows in 5575. Trying to get a hunt together across the inlet for Brown Bear and just want to be well prepared and see what everyone else is using. Thanks

Default brown bear......

I'll be using a 1 1/8" 4 blade Slick Trick on Kodiak this spring. Never killed a brown bear with one but have used them on quite a few other critters and I've been impressed. I used Muzzys in the past and still think they are a good head but I think the Slick Tricks are a little more durable and they fly right with my field tips out to 80yds. Good luck on your hunt.

Jarrett

I got the same set up you are using, only I'm shooting a switchback w/29" draw @ 65 pounds. shot a nice size blackie last year with the new Magnus snuffer blades (one piece construction) they are very strong, use 125 grains, one good shot in the boiler room is all you need. Used Magnus stingers in the pass and they work well too, and they are guarranteed for life, can't beat that....K

Default Wanting more penetration.

I wanted more penetration for moose and bears so I went to the 150 grain Snuffers, Carbon Express Terminiator Hunter Selects, 60/75 with 3 gpi inserts. I now have an arrow that weighs around 650 grains.

I use a BowTech Pro40 at 70 pounds.

In target tests I figured I would have a lot more drop at 30 yards. I was pleasently surprized when it turned out to only be 3" difference at that distance. It was too cold to do a complete test out to 40 or 50.

No animals shot with it the combiniation yet.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Magnus

I love the Magnus Stingers. They are really strong and fly well. I shoot the 125s.

Magnus 125 stingers,Bad A#$ broadheads. They fly really nice too. I wouldnt change If the others were free. There was a gentleman in the area that did some extensive testing of broadheads including some autopsy of game animals harvested. I was privy to some of the information supplied by a friend. The magnus broadheads were nothing short of fantastic. In my opinion, none compare.

Default Personally

I like the muzzy's. If I were you though maybe bump your arrow up to the 7595's. Possibly even the camo versions for more weight. I think you set-up will work, but I think a little weight would do you good. 7595's tune great anywhere near 70lbs in a 29" draw. Thats what I hunt with.

Default kinetic energy

I would check your Kinetic energy with both and see which one has the most Kinetic Energy. This tells the whole story. The more Kinetic Energy the more penetration your arrow will get. To figure Kinetic Energy here is the formula.

Arrow weight X Speed of Arrow X Speed or Arrow Divided by 450240 = Kinetic energy.

Example

Weight 400
    = 112000
    = 31360000
    divide 450240
    = 69.65 FT LB Kinetic Energy

Another example with a heavier arrow with the speed knocked down because of arrow weight.

W 540
    = 126900
    = 29821500
    D 450240
    = 66.23 FT LB Kinetic Energy

In this case the lighter arrow has more Kinetic Energy.
    You need to shoot your bow with a light arrow and and heavy arrow and multiply it out and see what works best for you.

My only other suggestion is to go with a 2 blade broadhead that cuts on contact, Bleeder blades seem to cut down on penetration.

Like said above Magnus makes a good head, the stinger. That would work well without the bleeders. They have 2 types or stingers, one with sarrorated blade and one with straight blade. I do not think it would matter which one you shot.

Well that is about all for school today.
    Hope this helps, it takes all the guess work out of it.
    Have fun and good luck hunting.
    Barko

Thumbs up Thanks For the Input

Thanks for taking the time to give me input! I have shot the Muzzy's for about 8 years now and haven't had any fail me yet. I was thinking about the switch to 7595's this spring for a little extra weight but I haven't shot them yet so we'll have to see. I have shot the magnus blades in the past with my old bow but not my Outback. I had a planing problem in wind but loved the grooping they made but stuck with the Muzzy's. Haven't tried the Motec G-5's yet but heard they had tuning issues? Well keep the good info coming I have a while to switch things around before I hunt this spring. Thanks Steve

I use the Muzzy's 100 or 125. Tough as nails and they will do the job if you do yours.
    Barko's post is good but the KE is not the whole truth. The heavier arrow with less KE will have more punch once it hits something. The lighter arrow will slow down faster once it hits something. Something to ponder.

Snuffer 150. Looking forward to using them on Kodiak this April. They work great on moose, caribou, and griz. They leave some big holes.

Looks like Magnus is the brand, whether you go with the stingers or the snuffers, they are guarranteed for life! get a hold of Woody Sanford of Magnus Broadheads, he's the tech rep for them, he used to work @ north pole Archery, think he still might be around the area, but you can get with him woody@magnusbroadheads.com , he'll give you some free ones to try....K

I use the magnus snuffer 145 and 160. Great out of my 57lb longbow. I shoot laminated birch arrows and my total arrow weight is something like 770 gr. I shot a black bear with it this spring, double lung shot and dead withen 8 seconds. Just ran fr a second then piled up deader than dead. Huge blood trail also.

Default land sharks

Simmons landsharks................gitty-up!!

For the big/tough animals I prefer a heavy arrow with a cut on contact broadhead. Currently I'm shooting GT 7595's with a 125 grain Magnus Stinger out of my 70lb. Switchback.

Default Muzzy 100 grn 4 blades

I shot my Brown Bear with PSE Extreme 300's with the Muzzy 100 grn 4 blade. He died in less then 30 seconds. The broadhead looked perfect even after stopping against the offside shoulder blade.

md

Thumbs up Thank You for your input!!

Thanks to all who spent the time to answer this question. Looks like there are many choices and it appears that the broadhead I shoot the best would be the smart choice here. Darn (sarcasm) guess I'll have to shoot my bow some more. Happy Hunting, Steve

Thumbs up Muzzy...

I'm a little behind here answering this thread....but I would stay with the Muzzys, especially if you are used to shooting them. I've done a lot of shooting with the Muzzy 125's, as you have, and have never had a problem with them all, including several pass through shots on moose.

Good luck!!!

If you haven't already, I suggest you try razorcaps before making your decision. I haven't shot a bb with them yet. I'll have that chance in '09

I have had great results on a number of black bear, several elk, a muskox, a few mulies and a pile of whitetails. All the broadhead recommendations aside, shot placement is where it at.