Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 100th bear....???

Default My 100th bear....???

....my eyes squited against the rare kodiak sunshine as i slumped in my seat to see under the wing. The soft drone of the beaver echoed in my head somewhere, its easy to echo in my head, i keep alot of it empty. We banked softly thru the pass and into the valley that feels like home. Bear trails run like viens from brush patches to creek banks, weaving there way around the valley floor and walls, appearing as an unorganized mess, but yet extremely efficient and tactfully laid out.

After my eyes adjusted from the bright trackless snow and I could see into the leafless alders and flattened grass, I glanced straight down, perhaps knowing somehow that i needed to? A dark ominous form was positioned between a snow slide and alder patch. I craned my neck and face against the window to follow it with my eyes as long i could, desperatly wanting to know if it was a brown bear. My gut said yes, my eyes said maybe and my mind said move on. With no resolvement, i turn back forward.

22 hours of heavy rains gave me time to get to know my client, Dean an eye doctor from Iowa. He was beginning to get antsy. Kodiak rain will do that to you. My new cabela's XWT 10x10 defeated every rain drop, often times its the little things. Like a tent working to help a trip be an adventure and not a survial trip.
    We spotted him on day 2, when the was out beconing the island back to life. Deer grazed on almost every hill side, one of the boone and crocket bumble bee's whizzed by and the foxes were out on the beaches digging around and watching the whale as it coasted thru the bay. A good day. But to late in the evening.
    To sum up the next several days...it rained. on day 4 or 5, we saw him again. A tall long legged bear, dark against the brown carhart collored grass, but on this day we saw him bed.

A fine location he'd picked, the intersecting point to about five brush patches, laden with black berry bushes and dense alders surrounding him. No weak point i could find to break in and trash his house. We set up at 200 yards and just waited...and waited....you get the idea. Our wind was squirrely, not wanting to bust him from this valley wall, we eased out and let him lay. There will be another day...tomorrow.

On day six we moved back into his neighborhood slowly, with the my Big Eye (swarovski spotter) tearing apart the landscape. We found him....again. He hadn't moved, still slumbering in his bed. Taking up a mobile postion 500 yards out we sat and waiting,dreaming of ways he could move that would be great for us and bad for him, fretting about ways he could move that would be great for him and bad for us! Taking about shot placement and our sandwhiches. roast beef with barbacue sauce...ya.

You could see the restlessness in the bear, he rolled and flopped around. Stretching and reaching, sniffing the air and flopping back down. I didn't dare try to make a move on him as he acted ready to move himself. He did. he rose from his bed, he tiny black marble eyes standing guard as his nose went to work...satisfed he was alone he began to graze. straight down hill!!! perfect, we hadn't though of that one. We slide forward, workin' tight to the alders to break up our outline along the grass, moving when he was distracted, stopping when he stared. He slid down the hill a few yards on his rump, like the neighbords dog does on the carpet...never taking his eyes off the valley. We slithered thru some thick alders, duckin' and weaving our way under and over tender dead limbs and devils club. but on this day, none of it seemed to hold us back, only add concelement to our mission. 230 yards we stopped, unless he came down more, this was going to be the kill floor. he was in some pretty open country, a couple small bushes that want to be alders when they grow up decorated the grass patch he stood guard over. it was one of those junior alder branches that now kept us from shooting....

we waited....he stared, we stared. he sniffed, we wondred. Then it happened. His nose shot into the air, reaching out with his head as far as he could reach as if there was just one odor just to far to grab that he needed desperatly....he reached it. The smell of Dean filled his nose (deans taller than me so i just figure the bear smelled him first.. ) spinning on his haunches he headed up hill. "you'd better do it, you'd better do it!" i uttered, a soft bark to try to stop him, no, he sped up, "do it, do it!"

Well, Dean did it, a perfect vital shot from a .375 took the bear on a hard quarter away, stopped him, but not rolling him. I heard the soft empty metallic song that empty brass sings when it flies thru the air and lands softly in the wet grass. knowing dean was not loaded yet and the bear on the move again i fired thru his chest as well...as the bear climbed thru one of the young alder bushes the last shot to be heard in the valley that day broke the bruins back and dropped on the steep slope. 60 yards or so from the security of his bed. Dean had done it, two perfect shots, one perfect bear.

We pounded fists and talked of hugging, but both figured it would be awkward. We rolled the bear down the hill for better pictures and skinning. Found him to be a big 9'2" boar with long legs and a 26.5" skull, estimated age of 9 years old. His lip was split in half years back and healed up this way. it will be remembered in the lifesize mount.
    Another great client, with a great attitude and expectations made this a great trip for me and him as well.
    This was my 100th bear....never saw that day coming.

Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

you can see the lip hanging out.

We had a thread a while back about "hair or carpet like stuff" on bears feet, here is a picture of his, he hadn't sluffed it all off of any of his feet yet.
    Master guide 212

Nice job Jake! Good looking bruin, you won't forget this one anytime soon!

Thanks for the fine story sharing a milestone
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Jake,
    How very inspiring!
    What a fine brown bear to be your #100.
    In this day and age, 100 brown bear kills says much about you, your abilities, committment, and sacrafices.
    Dennis

Man Jake, not only are your guiding skills obviously great, but your writing skills just shine in the above story. Thank you for sharing that! I love the imagry.

Nice job Jake and client! That is a beauty!

Nice job man. Hope to have my daughter do the same this fall. Congratulations on #100. KJD

i need to clarify...100 bears....not 100 brown bears, its running around 63-64 brown/grizz at this point and the rest blackie....it'll be a couple more years before we hit 100 brown....
    Master guide 212

Wow that's quite a milestone, congratulations. Thanks for the story and that's an absolute beauty of a bear. Always good to hear good reports.

Dang Jake, that's the way to wax poetic!

Nice bear, figured one was coming soon from you and a client.

Great job, great story and fine pictures.

You're making me really want to get back to Kodiak, I'm going to have to hunt with you one of these days, I like your style!

Again, congrats!

Chris

Great writeup, Jake. That's one big and scarred bruin, congrats to Dean (and you too), glad the rain let up enough for some good hunting days.

Very nice...Very Leggy Bear.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Very nice Bear, and a fantastic write up, if ever there was...

The patience required for hunting in the Alder and Berry thickets (and the Bear seem to know this, right, sooo safe in there) is pretty impressive to read about.
    Still working on that part myself

would sure like to hunt with a guide like this one, someday.
    Hey, maybe you could raffle off a hunt sometime....
    Y'kno give away some of "the experience"
    I could pray hard into that

Thanks for the story and Real Nice Pics
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

You are the bear killingist (I made that word up for you) Hard to believe in 07 mine was #69. Great story and I could just imagine being there, which wasn't to hard since I have been. I'll make sure Cory checks out this site to see the write up. I think he's going to have a hard time sleeping for the next year or so. Congrats Dean on not only taking a fantastic bear but having the fortitude to be stuck in a tent with Jake for days on end. I can remember trying to read a book and never getting to far because someone wanted to talk.... and talk.... and talk. Good job and can't wait to see the completed mount.

I'm saving my money..........

Very cool write up and photos, congrats on number 100. That split lip is proof it is a tough world out there.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Very Nice Jake and Dean...Most excellent work and write up...Thanks..

Congrats! I am so jealous, am I still looking for #1. That is anwesome job and an awesome hunt. Keep on going till hunting just isnt fun any more!
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

I'm loving the split lip. Great bear, happy hunter; all ends well for BRWNBR.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast