Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the bullet you could call back

Default the bullet you could call back

I started a thread about amonth ago about the most amazing shot you had ever seen and I could tell it was slightly frowned upon due tio the fact some stories sounded unethical in the sense people were slingin lead on near impossible shots possibly out of there range and capabilities. to open everybodys eyes I though maybe you might share a mistake you may have made , a bullet you could have back if you could maybe Michael Strahan is right and somebody might learn something

Default the one I coud take back

I shot a whitetail doe when I was 14 with a .270 she was 350 yards away running when I shot my dad scolded me a little when I shot. I hit here low in the belly and a little bit of gut was hanging out I trailed her for a ways then the blood ran out and then it got dark.I stayed out til 3am lookin for her and all the next day and couldnt find her. I felt like crap I made a poor move, caused needless suffering on an animal, My dad was pissed because he taught me better and I couldnt find her to save my life. my dad told me I learned one of the most valueable lessons that day but it was one I learned the hard way I found the deer the last day of the season, well what was left of her and felt even worse after I saw what I had done

Worst one I ever pulled...It has haunted me for years. Stalked in on a bunch of moose at the top of treeline. I watched them only long enough to ID a Legal Bull in the bunch...all the rest were feeding, with heads down and bedding down...I got right up amongst them, on all sides. The first one to stand up was by sheer coincidence the one I had spotted and ID'd earlier, at close range I quickly ascertained he would easily top 60"...sooooo...without hesitation...pop...I tapped him right off the bat. Then all his big brothers got up out of bed to see what the rukus was about. Yeah...I would like to have been able to call that one back!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

last yr took a shot at a black bear with the bow, only a 25 yrd shot but the shot opening in the brush wasn't that big, VERY stupid. the arrow grazed the back of his butt when I pulled . hands & knee tracking for 3 hours with the bugs. following tiny drops of blood just to make sure he wasn't mortaly wounded down the valley. sickening feeling, very ashamed of myself for evan thinking of taking the shot. Alot of practice this year because of that mistake.

I have two...one when I was young and dumb and one when I should have known better. Both happened when I was deer hunting in Wisconsin.

For my first, I was 14 and hunting alone for the first time. I heard another hunter shoot a few hundred yards away. I was sitting a few yards of a well worn trail that led to the area where the other hunter shot. I got my rifle ready and was rewarded when the buck came tearing past me. I shot once at a buck running full bore. Pretty dumb. I hit him in the gut and had to trail him for about half a mile. I was lucky and recovered that small 8-point, but realized I should have passed on the shot because I didn't have the skill to execute it humanely.

For my second, I was back in Wisconsin two years ago after an 11 year absence. I had only hunted in Alaska during that time. When a small buck walked into my clearing, I wasn't cautious enough with the safety and let it "click" on fire. The buck spooked and I snapped the shot. I found a sliver of skin 1/8" x 1/2" long with white hair on the ground near where I shot and other white hair scattered nearby. I was shooting a down-loaded .458 Mag with Remington 405 grain bullets. I figured if I gut shot him with that load I should have seen some intestinal matter somewhere, but there was none. I finally concluded I must have only grazed him, because the deer didn't hunch up at the shot and ran off with his flag raised...at least that's what I tell myself to feel better about it.

Both were hurried shots that I should have shown the patience to pass on.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

The Winter time when my "new" Chinese AK underfolder was being tested at the dump and after about 1/2 a 1440 rd case of Chinese 7.62X39 had been burned up I figured to go home as soon as the clip was empty, so I shot "Stuff" untill I had a weird "Chug" and the expended case was jammed in the closed bolt.The next round seated as I plucked it out and was wondering ***?, as my wife said "WOW!, Big ol' Bunnie" and indeed there was a Jack rabbit standing about 50 yards away, chewing on a willow.........so I aimed and squeezed and blew a chunk out ofthe barrel, down and off with the lower hand guard, my hand feeling like someone had slapped it HARD, kinda buzzing feeling.

Dang........I knew better! I had the thought in my head when it happend and had allowed my self to be distracted......
    At a glance the powder spilled on the ground from the case I plucked out proved the thing was squibbed in the bareel, and my flollowing bullet just blew it, itself and 4 inches of barrel off, with two concentric rings in mid chunkd barrel.

The Jack just wander'd off , unknowing, uncareing.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Shot a hen pheasant once when I was about ten. My pard and me enjoyed it but we new it was wrong,should have just went home a night early
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Kay9Cop, I don't even know what to say about your post. ( boggles the mind)

I was about 15 and I decided to load and shoot my muzzle loading pistol. Since I "knew" it wasn't loaded I stepped out into the garage and snapped a percussion cap in order to make sure the nipple was clear. You guessed it, what a surprise I had. My folks were in the house and yelled "what was that", I yelled back "oh, nothing" (they were used to me making all sorts of things go bang). As soon as the smoke cleared I rushed over to inspect the damage. Luckily the drywall had just been taped and mudded, I did a quick patch job with a little mud. The cedar siding was a little more challenging, but I found a big splinter of the cedar on the ground and was able to glue it back into place. Now, forty years latter they're still none the wiser. I learned a valuable lesson that day!

Seriously, what is the point of this thread? All this is going to turn into is 'you're a bad person, you're wrong, I'm right, I'm perfect, shame on you, you should just go take a dirt nap" kind of thread. We've already had one of these threads, why start another...
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Hasn't happened yet, really. I think people can learn from mistake, or at least be reminded of the **** that can happen if you are not careful/using common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Seriously, what is the point of this thread? All this is going to turn into is 'you're a bad person, you're wrong, I'm right, I'm perfect, shame on you, you should just go take a dirt nap" kind of thread. We've already had one of these threads, why start another...
    Let's let it percolate for awhile...
    Always fun to watch the Gang Leaders go on the attack, at the smell of blood in the air!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

TOTALLY jerked the trigger on a black bear at 175 yards a couple years back. He was a whopper. I had a great rest and everything was fine right up until I JERKED the hell out of the trigger when he turned to walk a way. I was HORRIFIED. Otherwise I'm a damm good shot.

Still hurts!

Taylor

Seriously, what is the point of this thread?
    You do realize that you may pick and choose what threads to read, right?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Unhappy Know Your Target And What Lies Behind.

My brother was trying to sneak a group of bedded elk while I circled around to pick them up if they spooked (we both had cow tags). Sure enough they started moving but the cover was thick and I had about a 3-foot window between the trees to watch them going by just 50-60 yards away. I watched a head pass the window and felt incredibly lucky when the animal stopped with a perfect chest exposure right there in the window. Couldn't shoot, though, because others were passing behind. I took time to drop my pack but there was no easy rest so I just held a standing position and waited with the crosshairs about 2 inches low. Felt like a long time, and must have been a good 20 seconds. The area behind finally cleared, and just as a new head started to appear I squeezed off a perfect shot and watched the chest disappear, followed by hooves, followed by spike antlers, followed by hooves, followed...down the hill. Those spikes had hidden behind his ears and I never got a second look at them until he tumbled. Game warden confiscated the carcass, but we'd dressed it out and a battered women's shelter ate pretty well for a while. Thinking back, probably only a bull (even a spike) would stop like that waiting for the cows to pass.

I KNEW that shot was perfect as the trigger broke, have never gone from total satisfaction to total dismay quite so quickly.

I still remember the cyber beating you took for telling a story understand your feelings completly.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default Know Your gun!

Last year trapping, I always took my sisters browning buckmark for disbatching what ever I had caught, and this grouse flew up, about 10 foot in this tree, so I walked up to it to make sure i wouldn't miss (I had never shot the gun at anything over 5 feet, so i didn't know where it was hitting, I doubt it had ever been sighted in before we got it, and we never took the time to do it) I figured at 15 feet, how'm I gona miss, well, I didn't miss, I got it right through the gut, and it flew off and I never recovered it, I know it was a real bad gut shot, I saw the bullet hit, and to this day it still makes me sick, so now I shoot all of your guns and know exacially where they hit.

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    I still remember the cyber beating you took for telling a story understand your feelings completly.
    This thread hasn't gotten as hot as I figured it would.

Yes, that cyber 'beating' I took was impressive. I can still remember that one schmuck who gave me "advice" about bears that he learned off the internet.... because he had never been to AK.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I took a shot with my bow on a nice buck but hit the buck in the hip. I watched him run and never drop. The next day I went in looking for him and saw him get up and walk off, still alive and the arrow still in his hip. The second day, I got a bunch of guys, including my youngest son and we went back into the woods, expecting to find a dead deer. We managed to push most of the deer and there was my wounded buck, trying to keep up but his head was hanging down and walking poorly. My youngest boy, he's 6'5" and 235lbs, took off and actually caught the buck, bulldogging it to the ground. The poor deer was bawling as I finished it off. I felt sick for months, thinking of the suffering I caused it.
    It wasn't a bad shot. The arrow had come off the nock as I fired and the nock was still on the string. I've since glued all my nocks to prevent that from happening again.

norse i can relate, bowhunting especially has a much higher potential for wounding animals in my opinion. i have seen and heard of a lot of wounded, not found or recovered animals during bow season. much of that has do to with poor choices which i can relay one incident in which i was well within a reasonable shot things just went south quickly. i had stalked a nice large muley buck. had walked in my socks for at least a few hundred yards so as not to be heard in the crunching dry grass. the wind was variable which ultimately caused my problem. i got within about 25 yrds of this feeding buck after a long stalk. the wind was fairly strong but growing up in montana wind was the norm and i practiced in it enough to know how it affected my arrows. at a relatively short range at a feeding muley i took the shot. the wind turned my arrow and instead of hitting right behind the shoulder blade the arrow hit in front of it and into the neck. with the arrow sticking out of the bucks neck he bounded down the mountain. i searched high and low with the blood eventually running out. returned the next day with more people, still no luck just a broken arrow. makes me mad.... a year or so later my brother was hunting the area and found a nice buck skeleton..pretty sad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast