Thread: Liner socks that last?

Default Liner socks that last?

I'm looking for a liner sock that isn't gonna disintegrate on me... The last pair I had ended up with multiple holes by the end of one use... any specific brand out there you guys find durable enough to last? Thanks, Dylan

I like the Smartwool merino liner socks. I have several pairs that have seen a fair bit of use over the last several years and they are still in good shape.

Maybe I have just had bad luck, but liners always "give" me blisters. I have been told that you can use them over your socks, but why bother? I have been using Smartwool socks without liners and love them. But, they don't last all that long for the cost. Still, I have not found anything I like better :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I use REI generic and they have lasted years.

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Since switching to merino wool socks I have left liners and don't miss them one bit!

Hmm, maybe ill try switching to merino with no liner. Right now i have Thor-lo's with a liner.

I have never worn liners. Have used boots that gave me blisters when just using my usually merino wool socks, but attribute it to that particular boots and moved on to a different pair. I find that if the boots fit me properly blisters shouldn't be a problem regardless of type of socks I am wearing.

The "Darn Tough" socks at Barneys are the best I've ever worn. They are merino wool and have a lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    The "Darn Tough" socks at Barneys are the best I've ever worn. They are merino wool and have a lifetime warranty.
    I agree with that. Tried a pair of darn tough socks last year...hands down the best socks I have hiked in.

Thanks guys, just another excuse to go to barneys

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    Right now i have Thor-lo's with a liner.
    Thor-lo's are tough on my feet. I hiked in them a couple times then buried then in the bottom of the sock drawer.

I like liner socks and have found Bridgedales hold up well. I also have some Patagonia liner socks that have held up well but you wouldn't want to take them on a sheep hunt because after one day they absolutely stink and don't air out.

Darn Tough socks are great and can be found at Barney's and AMH. Darn Tough socks run a little snug and if I wear them with my liner socks they are too tight. They do very well without the liner socks though.

Bridgedale socks are also a favorite of mine and can be found at Barney's, AMH and REI.

Now the classic question.
    Do you wear your liners over or under your heavy socks?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Smart wool sock liners are the ones I keep going back to. I have some that are over six years old and have had a lot of heavy use.

I wear mine under my sock... the way it should be worn I thought