Thread: sheep hunting the white mountains???

Default sheep hunting the white mountains???

So i didn't draw a thing this year and would like to know has any one done any sheep hunting in the White Mountains/ Mt Prindle area? If so hows the sheep population and is it a zoo like the brooks?
    thanks

it's a zoo , I saw at least 10 other people in there just for sheep when I was in caribou/sheep, saw 4 rams & only one was close to legal 7/8+. others where 2 half's & a quarter. talked with 4 other hunters & they said they all watched that 7/8 & couldn't make 8 rings. those sheep got hit hard by the wolves last winter, I'm going back down to the Ak range, long hike in but there were some legal rams including the one we got I'd recommend the brooks or the AK range

thats what i figured... how far of a walk with the AK range?? i just want to avoid the people really.

Quote Originally Posted by jdcollins86 View Post
    thats what i figured... how far of a walk with the AK range?? i just want to avoid the people really.
    we went in 10 miles from the truck, with some training I'd like to get another 2-3 miles up the same valley.

did you guys see alot of legal rams??? or just the one you got, and was a lot of other hunters out there?

Good luck getting away from people no matter where you go. Its getting harder and harder every year unless you have your own super cub. I know of 9 legal rams taken in the last 3 years in one area of the road in the brooks and only one was over 8yrs its been getting hit hard. Flew into the wrangells 2 years ago and saw more people than sheep. The talkeetnas get hit as hard as anywhere. Havent hunted the Alaska range for sheep yet but know people who have and they ran into others. Ever since the chugach went to draw its been hard to find a place without people. Specially with the walk in areas. I hunted one of the draw areas right here by anchorage last year and it was who could get to the rams first to get the shot. I think i saw everyone that had that tag on that hunt. You gona need good legs and time. Hike as much and as far as you can and you might be able to get away from people. But i wouldnt let the people bother you. You just gotta expect to see others and if you dont then your hunt is that much better. I once hiked 30 miles one way just to come over the ridge too see 2 super cubs parked in the drainage i was trying to get to. Alaska is not as remote as people think. I hope you have a good hunt no matter where you decide. Good Luck.

did you guys see alot of legal rams??? or just the one you got, and was a lot of other hunters out there?
    saw 3 other hunters & 10 rams total -( 4 were legal -1

You're not likely to see "a lot" of legal rams anywhere off the road system. While I can certainly appreciate the desire to have your pick of multiple rams, generally road system walk-in hunting is a game of finding a legal ram - any legal ram - and being awfully happy about it. I love walk-in sheep hunting, but I am certainly not picky about legal rams when I head afield from my truck.

hey Jd I'll shoot you a P.M tonight on where to go & get a crack at a sheep.

thanks for the input guys!!! i work at the northern Warfare Training Center so all last summer i would walk my students then randomly stop them so i could glass sheep.... thats when i got the itch!!!! ive been dreaming about them lately...

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    those sheep got hit hard by the wolves last winter
    Does this mean that there is good wolf hunting in the white mountain area? Is that area motorized once the snow is deep enough?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Does this mean that there is good wolf hunting in the white mountain area? Is that area motorized once the snow is deep enough?
    only certain parts are & yes there is some wolf hunting but the family that traps up there has alot of traps out. I heard a rumor that some one went up & did some arial hunting, (have no clue if they connected or not)hope they did tho. one day I went up to take video & picks of the caribou & saw 3 wolves run across the road in front of me. last time i leave my AR in the hard case . anywhere in the state that has a caribou herd will have a pack or two munching on them & provide some good wolf hunting.