Thread: New Sheephunting Boots-------Koflachs are back !!!

Default New Sheephunting Boots-------Koflachs are back !!!

Since going to plastics last year, I vowed never to go back to leather boots. I know its something you have to get used to, and the scarpa omegas performed well.....but when I tried these on, I couldn't believe how much more comfortable they were ( and they weren't bright red), so I pulled the trigger on these. I know quite a few that used them, when they had the older orange ones, then they discontinued, and Koflach was no longer. Now, scarpa bought them out and re-introduced them into the sheephunting market, and they have a better vibram (green dot) sole. I wore them around the yard and they are nice, no heel slip either.......

Koflach soles.jpg

Koflachs.jpg

Excellent! I know what you mean about plastics. I like them also. Can't beat them in the steeps, rocks, shale, sidehilling, etc. And no matter how wet they get they still give you the support. Liners alone make good "camp slippers" And with some Barneys Glacier socks it makes it nice for river crossings.

Good to see the Koflachs are back. Lots of guys liked them I know. I tried some on several years ago but for my foot the shell was the wrong shape. I ended up with the Lowa Civettas. The soles on those Koflachs look good, like they might be pretty sticky? My Lowas have the old fashioned style vibram soles. Not as sticky as I'd like them to be.

anyone know any place in fairbanks to test out a pair of plastics?

kaha, what made you change your mind about what you were wearing into the sheep mnts.?

Quote Originally Posted by sdrhunter View Post
    anyone know any place in fairbanks to test out a pair of plastics?

kaha, what made you change your mind about what you were wearing into the sheep mnts.?
    Beaver Sports is the only game in town and who knows what they have in stock or if they will carry them. They used to carry the Koflachs and then I think they carried some scarpas. I bought my Lowas from shoebuy.com. Free return shipping if they didn't fit. One thing about plastics, they either fit or the don't out of the box. No break in, etc. The liners will pack out after a while but unlike a leather boot, if there is a tight spot it won't loosen up. It's like fitting downhill ski boots. If you're a skier you know what I mean. If you can find some online that will take em back if the don't fit that may be an option.

Im thinking about gettn these.. They seem awesome with that glacier sock combo. Have you tried out these boots yet on the mountain? Im anxious to get someones opinion on them after using them in the field. Thanks

kahahawai,

do the koflachs come in 1/2 sizes? if they don't, do they run large or small? do they have a wide? do they run true to size? thanks.

Swung by Beaver Sports whenI was in town. They are a nice boot, and have me thinking they might be in line for my next purchase. Surprised how comfy and secure my foot was in them!!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by sdrhunter View Post
    kahahawai,

do the koflachs come in 1/2 sizes? if they don't, do they run large or small? do they have a wide? do they run true to size? thanks.
    The Koflachs only come in whole sizes, they say they do come in half sizes on the box, but in actuality they don't. As far as fit true to size they do, a big difference from the scarpa omegas, which they ran a little snug to there size where the koflachs were comfy. Barneys has the machine to heat mold them and it will take about 25 minutes of your time for the process, once the intuition liner is heat molded, you will have the boots on for a while and no walking, just sitting or standing. I never got my scarpa omega intuition liners heat molded, for one: they didn't have the machine, and world cup wanted $65 for the process which I thought was outrageous, AMH wouldn't do it because I did not buy the boot there, even though I've spent enough money there to pay their rent, I don't even bother with REI because they intuitively figure I'm a sheep hunter and get dirty looks from those Granolas anyway, although I still shop there. Anyways, with plastics you really don't break them in, because they are plastic....they are what they are, you might get the liner to mold around your foot better, but the bottom line with plastics......theres no breaking in. I will say this, I'm sold on plastics, You move better in shale, your foot/ankle are better supported and can handle heavier loads (IMO), more durable and lasts longer than leather. and finally, they will dry fast and are waterproof. I hope this helps, but like I stated before they aren't for everyone, and it takes some getting used to, and lastly,...... sheep or no sheep........I want to look good out there (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Swung by Beaver Sports whenI was in town. They are a nice boot, and have me thinking they might be in line for my next purchase. Surprised how comfy and secure my foot was in them!!
    See, I told ya so........... Darth Vader wore them ...........so don't be scared to come on to "Dark Side".................

Where in Anchorage are they sold? go to Anchorage more than Fairbanks (I will be there for Knee surgery in November...so maybe a "gift" to myself. )
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I'm tempted to make the switch myself but need to find a place locally that will allow me to try a pair on.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Where in Anchorage are they sold? go to Anchorage more than Fairbanks (I will be there for Knee surgery in November...so maybe a "gift" to myself. )
    I don't know if Koflach's are sold at AMH but they sell lots of plastic boots. THat's where I would check.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskan22 View Post
    where in anchorage are they sold? Go to anchorage more than fairbanks (i will be there for knee surgery in november...so maybe a "gift" to myself. )

b-----a------r------n------e-------y------s s-----p-------o------r------t------s c------h------a------l------e-------t