Thread: Mike Fifer (CEO of Ruger) Answered My Question about the # 1 Standard

Default Mike Fifer (CEO of Ruger) Answered My Question about the # 1 Standard

The CEO of Ruger, Mike Fifer, response to my question of why they dropped the # 1. Here is his email to me.

Dear Mr. Price,

Your comments are important to us, hence this venue.

If you want a #1 Standard, you might want to check with Lipseys, whom I believe has a variety of calibers in stock.

We dropped the rifle from our catalog offerings because the volume or lack thereof dictated that change. We have found, however, that the old adage, "absence makes the heart grow fonder," works for items we remove from the catalog. After they stay out for a few years, it can be worth bringing them back for a limited engagement. All the fence-sitters get one more chance to buy the firearm they were thinking so hard about but never taking action on. So you might see the #1 Standard again.

Best regards,
    Mike Fifer

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I currently own three Ruger #1's of which none are "Standards".
    I have owned "1-B Standards" in the past and have always liked them, but I prefer the #1-S Mediums. I have one each in 45-70 and 9.3 x 74R.
    I also enjoy my #1-V in .223 which is uber sweet!
    Afflicted by condition human

thanks for the post; having owned ( and shot ) ruger number 1's for many years it is interesting that they be dropped from the ruger line-up. offered in style, type, caliber, and barrel length this fine rifle was in many ways an "inexpensive" dakota n0.10. shooters have modified the forearm hanger system to improve accuracy, and tuned the trigger to make the rifle more responsive ( to the long hammer fall).

ruger may already have the largest product line and market share for its firearms, and it is noted the many new products based on customer influence. mr.fifer using the standard of "supply & demand", will no doubt revisit shooter interest in the future and perhaps offer an even better
    rifle.
    happy trails.
    jh

Bill Ruger just rolled over in his grave...

dropping the #1 is akin to blasphemy.

Unless I'm reading that wrong, they're only dropping the Standard model. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Unless I'm reading that wrong, they're only dropping the Standard model. Right?
    Oops...my bad. I read "#1 gone" and had a heart palpitation.

It appears the 1-B is gone from the catalog but everything else is there. You wonder why though. It would appear the 1-Bs major difference was the barrel- doesn't seem like a tough bit of variety to provide, even with low distribution numbers. It would be easy to "reintroduce" though.

My supposition is that it's not picking up any new users, and us old timers have all we need. About all they could change is the size of the hole, and most of us have that ground covered. A re-release would have to be in some really interesting caliber before I'd shuck buxx. Mods to the basic form, i.e., "new" models and features to the gun itself, will stir old customers as well as new.

I keep waiting for them to bring out a real slick little lightweight in interesting small calibers, probably classics. I never felt toasty all over about the #3 with that squiggly lever and barrel band. I'd be all over a trim #1 in 25-20, 218 Bee or 32-20 that was very light and had a 18-20" barrel. What's not to like? Make it in the same league as the old Winnie hi- or lo-wall, and probably put some retro sights on it.

That "model" is just one line of reasoning. Give Sharpes a run for their money with some great old BP cartridges and looks and you'll pop the cork for the long-range black powder crowd. Heck, you could even head toward "Scheutzen" lines for the really serious target shooters.

New models probably hold a lot more sales potential I think than yet another caliber in the Standard. But of course, I'm a consumer rather than a marketer for the company.

Default .500 Nitro

The No. 1 has a fairly large barrel shank - I keep hopping they will bring out one in the classic .500 Nitro Express but for some reason the .50 calibers have never been made. Something like a .50-110 would also be interesting as well as perhaps the .500 S&W.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK