Thread: How do I cook halibut cheeks?

Default How do I cook halibut cheeks?

Got some from 5th and M, or similar while in Anchorage recently. Got them back home here in NC, thawing for the weekend. Got no idea how to cook them. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Planning a nice king crab leg and halibut cheek dinner for my brother Saturday. Not sure how to put this dinner together, but want something nice. A bit of Alaska flavor in NC.

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Well... you are on the east coast.. so.. (jus sayin) Do it east coast style!
    This is what I do and it seems to work... Ya'll are warm down there so
    break out the BBQ and do it like this...

Lay out a sheet of aluminum foil lay the cheeks in the foil.
    Top them with some crab imperial. (lot's of recipes for that online)
    Sprinkle with some bread crumbs and old bay.
    Wrap it and let it poach on the top shelf of your grill. (how long depends on how big the cuts are)
    Get a little browning going on towards the end.. IE. open the top of the foil after 15-20 minutes.
    (once again depends on the thickness)
    Enjoy..

ps.. think ya meant 10th and M... Don't cut them half short!

Hi Dan
    I would think of them like Scallops. Cooks fast. One way we like to cook Shrimp, Scallops or even halibut is melt some butter, add some dill relish, and some chopped up capers. Saute and enjoy!! Very easy, but good.

Another way to cook Cheeks, is to mix spices in warm water, garlic, seasoning salt, or pre made boil mix. Boil cheeks till they float, very short time, less than a minute, then dip in drawn butter. Just like lobster tail, the meat will flake off, tastes fantastic.

Love me some cheeks!

I like mine crusted(usually in nuts and cheese) then pan fried. Serve with a nice beurre blanc or something similar.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am cooking them tomorrow and will look forward to it. Ate lots of halibut, some 50 lbs worth I caught in Seward in 2005, but never had any cheeks. Saw them at 10th and M, had to give it a try. Along with $400 worth of other goodies. Ha ha... Will try it on the grill most likely. Smoking a Tri-Tip for lunch on the Bradley smoker. Good eating day ahead of me. Thanks for the suggestions. Will check back here before cooking them in case anyone has any other input.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

ok- the cheeks are probably long gone- but, for future reference. SE AK style- fry 'em in butter & barely let 'em outta the pan before eatin. Mmmmm. Tastey treats!

Dan your cheeks would make some awesome chowder. Let them marinate overnight in olive and and your desired spices and throw them in your smoker for about an hour and one tray of alder chips. Them follow this recipe.

Smoked Halibut Chowder

I take my Halibut out the day before and thaw it out in the frig, when It is thawed I spice it with Garlic powder, Onion powder, Adobo and some Old Bay. I place it into a large Ziplock bag and add a generous amount of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) I let this marinate over night.

You can use variety of stock, from chicken, vegetable or fish. I most often make my own, but store bought works fine.

For this one it is Lent, so I will use stock made from boiling the heads and tail shells from PWS Shrimp, with onions, celery and a garlic glove, I make about 2 quarts.

I remove the Halibut from the frig and place it in my Smoker, you can use any white fish if you donít have Halibut. For this pot I used some filets and some cheeks. Smoke them about an hour. The smoke really flavors the cream in the recipe.
    SAVE THE OIL FROM THE MARINADE!!!

I peel and dice some potatoes about one per person is a good rule. Iím making 7 qts of Chowder for after Church tonight so I will use about 7 to 8 Potatoes. I will add 2 cups of shredded carrots to the potatoes and boil them to just done in the stock. Save the juice and set the potatoes, carrots and stock to the side.

I dice up 2 onions and about 2 cups of chopped celery and one glove of garlic, gently sautť until soft using the EVOO from the fish and about 3 to 4 Tablespoons of butter, add extra EVOO if needed, I also add some more Old Bay seasoning. When done add 4 to 5 Tablespoons of self-rising flour and cook the flour a bit, add some stock from your potatoes and stir until thickened.

Combine the potatoes, onion celery mixture into a pot, I will add to this for my 7 qts, 2 cans of can evaporated milk, 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, one 8 oz package of cream cheese and about Ĺ quart of heavy cream. You can add milk or stock to bring up to desired amount.

Bring this mixture up to almost a boil and add the fish, reduce heat to a simmer for 10 minutes and serve. Cornstarch mixed with water can be added before the fish to thicken to desired level.

This recipe is also awesome with some bacon and bacon dripping added, but I skip this during Lent.

Serve with fresh bread and it is sinfully delicious, just not very heart healthy. ☺

Enjoy

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

DAN,
    For future reference: I have been told that the cheeks are the worst part of the halibut and should not be eaten. I am willing to save you from a terrible meal and make the sacrifice to take those nasty things off your hands. Please contact me thru PM for my address. I am even willing to pay the postage!!!

All kidding aside:
    The best way I have made them is similar to some already mentioned: Saute minced garlic and a "FEW" red pepper flakes in butter. Then saute cheeks in butter mix. Serve hot with more melted butter. May add liberal amounts of your favorite adult beverage if desired.