Thread: Advanced Search Problem

Default Advanced Search Problem

I use the "advanced search" quite a bit. I keep coming up with "no results" for a reply but then see the poster has made a post within the specified time I searched in.
    Am I doing something wrong or is the search feature not that thorough? Thanks

Anyone out there?

I get the same so I never use the advanced. I thought it was just me. Of course I never claimed to know what I was doing.

what happened to the google search feature on here? that was the best one. Now if you try searching for say "Lake trout fishing" you get 4000 posts, most of which have nothing to do with lake trout fishing.

Not sure exactly what to tell you fellas. I'll look into it and let you know what I find out.

Just using Google search works well -outside of the AOD/OSA website.
    Very often the hits are from AOD/OSA. When I want to focus on AOD/OSA posts, I add "outdoorsdirectory" to the search box.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Very often the hits are from AOD/OSA. When I want to focus on AOD/OSA posts, I add "outdoorsdirectory" to the search box.
    Yeah good tip leech. This is what I have been doing as well.

Default Perfect illustration, rimfirematt...

Perfect entry there rimfirematt. So, some might recall, rimfirematt typed out a most excellent post on hare hunting in southcentral AK. To find it, I typed the words, "rimfirematt hares outdoorsdirectory" into the Google search engine and rimfirematt's classic article was hit #1. Try it. Google search seems to work best (vs Yahoo, etc).

Here's the link too - "How to Hunt the Alaskan Hare in the southcentral region": http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...central-region. Choice advice - should be in the AOD/OSA Classics/Hall of Fame IMO. Great writeup.

Anyways. Good luck.

I keep hoping that we will once again see the google search tool integrated directly into the website. Losing that is (IMHO) the biggest negative of the last forum upgrade. Considering that this site is designed as a "directory" of information, not having a viable search tool is severe problem! Sort of like a library with no dewy decimal system, at the end of the day it might as well just be a huge pile of random books!

Thanks for the replies guys. Thanks to LuJon for explaining it. I'm a nimrod on this techy stuff - just knowing enough to be dangerous.
    I'll try that search that rimfirematt does. There is so much info to find and read here, that a good search method is valuable.

I was experiencing the same problem today as well, getting to many hits under the forums search feature. Was looking for the thread to post my concern until I ran into this post. I was researching Eagle River hunts and rafting and came across to many pages that would take a long time to find the info. Even though I had nothing planned out for today I spent most my day here looking for info and reading posts.
    The Google search technique works as well, but I would like to see if the search feature could be kept within the forum. I agree with LuJon, a Google search integrated tool would be great.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

Default use google's advanced search to search AOD only

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    while yes that works it isn't the best way. I know this has been brought up before, but not on this thread yet so here goes again:

Go to google.com
    Click on Advanced Search
    In their box called "limit this search to specific domains, type "outdoorsdirectory.com" (without the quotes
    Above that, in the "search for" boxes, type what you're searching for.

It's the best way to find the info you want to find on this site.

Also, I predict that this site will go back to using a search box that uses this very technology. It's free (except the labor to deploy it) and its the best.

Bump

Do any of the mods have an update if the Goggle search tool is going to be integrated/deployed?
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!