Thread: Eagle River Goat Hunt

Default Eagle River Goat Hunt

Has anybody any advice regarding goat hunting in the Chugach (Eagle River area)?

I assume you drew this tag? There are a couple of members here who have hunted that area before. I've hiked in there a lot and have been on goats, but I've done most of my exploring prior to the fall hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I assume you drew this tag? There are a couple of members here who have hunted that area before. I've hiked in there a lot and have been on goats, but I've done most of my exploring prior to the fall hunting season.
    Brian,

I did draw this hunt and have some experience hiking this area. However, I've never been on a goat hunt and have not come across any in this area. I'm looking for any advice on hunting this area.

Cheers,

Nick

Nick/dieseldrive,
    ...have saw many goats north of Eagle River across from Heritage falls, all tough country like goat hangouts always always are....have saw many more in back of Eklutna Lake. We are gonna need a little more specific question(s) to provide more specific information. But....
    But....you have all summer to hike, condition your body and mind, and scout for those goats. Assuming you drew the permit....Congratulations!
    Might consider using PMs when they are avail to you, or email, to obtain the most detailed information. Many of us are reluctant to provide detailed, specific information and research, gained through sweat and exhausting lonely weekends, on an open internet forum.
    The goats are there. They are lightly hunted due to the permit system. Although not especially numerous, there are some big guys to be found.

Diesel,
    I hunted with a buddy of mine back there last year, he shot a nice B&C goat. I hike that area quite often and saw some nice one's in there last weekend. Like Alaska said, get some weight in your backpack and start hiking.

Thr further back you go...the more you will see. There should be more permits for that area than what they give out.

Just made my second attempt at finding the Icicle Creek trail. Spent all day Saturday bushwacking and boulder hopping! I didn't make it to the bench this time but I'm confident that I will next attempt. I counted several goats however they are much better climbers than I!

If you can't get up Icicle, consider hunting on the close side of Thunder Gorge. The hike is twice as long, but there's a pretty clear route up the mountain next to the waterfall. Take a packraft and you can float home nine of the twelve miles.

Brian,

After investing so much time around Icicle it's become a bit of a personal conquest. Though I can't help but think will I be saying this a week before the hunt closes...? I'll be putting in some time again this weekend and hopefully my next post will be describing how great my victory cigar was!