Thread: What keeps you from tumbling several hundred feet?

Default What keeps you from tumbling several hundred feet?

So this year I'm gonna finally shell out the dough for some serious mountian/ backpacking boots. I really just wanted some imput from the guys that spend serious time up high, especially those of you who wear Scarpas.

1st off, do you guys find the stock beds enough or do you replace them with something more stout? If so what brands, I have bad luck with any of the ones you can buy in town, they seem to wear out in a month or two?

2nd the boots them selves: I have had great luck with Scarpas, they fit my feet and I get killer deals on em. I rated my selections on support, full rand, good soles and durability. The 3 finalists are #1 the Ladakh, #2 the Escape, #3 the Liskamm. Liskamm only came in 3rd because of weight not price.

Thanks!

Have any of you had good/ bad luck with any of these, what are your thoughts?
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

Default Liscamm vs Lowa GTX

The Liskamm, while an attractive boot and well constructed, did not fit my feet. They are an extremely stiff soled boots, and two summers of "break-in use" did nothing to soften them up. I now have very expensive Sparpa Liscamm boots used for mowing the lawn. A mere three mile warmup hike always resulted in a nickle size blisters on my heels. Of course, other feet may disagree.

I then got a pair of Lowa GTX and my hiking life, which has always been extensive, became instantly better, again. They fit me. A few weekends ago I put in a total of 28 miles on snow packed trails and remain sold on the Lowa boots.
    (The gear forum is full of this stuff.)
    dennis

Thanks Dennis!

I'm sure you know how hard it is to sift through all the crap people on the gear forum will post though. I really wanted to target a specific audience, hence why I put it on here. I guess if its too out of place I could ask Brian or someone to move it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    The Liskamm, while an attractive boot and well constructed, did not fit my feet. They are an extremely stiff soled boots, and two summers of "break-in use" did nothing to soften them up. I now have very expensive Sparpa Liscamm boots used for mowing the lawn. A mere three mile warmup hike always resulted in a nickle size blisters on my heels. Of course, other feet may disagree.

I then got a pair of Lowa GTX and my hiking life, which has always been extensive, became instantly better, again. They fit me. A few weekends ago I put in a total of 28 miles on snow packed trails and remain sold on the Lowa boots.
    (The gear forum is full of this stuff.)
    dennis
    Pretty much the same as my Liskamm experience. I wish they fit me better, but they don't.

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

I`d like to start off this thread by saying I REALLY don`t care about the cost of the boot as long as they are comfortable and useable. That being said let me explain MY situation. I walked as far as my 62 yr. old body would allow me to for the last 6 months in preparation for an upcoming grizzly hunt with a well known forum member. Probably because I pushed myself far too hard I developed a Big bunion problem. I was walking in Cabela`s Alaskan Hunters(size11W). None of the major Mountaineering boot companies go any wider than basic WIDE . Cabelas does have a few boots in 3eee and 4eeee and by getting the Outfitter boot in 4eeee I was able to keep hiking. I would have GLADLY bought any of the top brand hikers but they just are not wide enough. Leaving in 2 weeks and can`t wait to get there!!!!!

not to steal your thread but i am also in the market for a good pair of sheep boots to start training for a hunt next year i got a pair of new military boots from a friend and they work great just walking around then i went and hiked 7 miles the other day and now have a blister the size of a 50 cent piece on my heel i also have a roll prone ankle so would need something with good ankle support and all the mountain boots i have seen say they have great ankle flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by akscotty View Post
    not to steal your thread but i am also in the market for a good pair of sheep boots to start training for a hunt next year i got a pair of new military boots from a friend and they work great just walking around then i went and hiked 7 miles the other day and now have a blister the size of a 50 cent piece on my heel i also have a roll prone ankle so would need something with good ankle support and all the mountain boots i have seen say they have great ankle flexibility.
    Usually in mtn boots if they talk about ankle flexibility they are reffering to the forward and back motion. A lot of the non plastic type boots have some kind of gusset to allow it to move more freely while still preventing ankle roll.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I have big feet and bought Scarpa Liskham 2 years ago...First year, hiking prep for hunting in the mountains equalled instant blister treatments...light pair of silk socks inside heaver wool ones and moleskin finally got the boots to a point where the wear points FINALLY fit my feet...The only issue I have now is coming down hill...Seems I need a pedicure or something more "manley"...The boots put pressure on the tips of my toes with pack and hiking sticks and steep terrain...They are great ankle support just took almost a year to break them in properly...Very stiff and very stable boot, pretty expensive which is why I guess I made them work...be prepared to get them set just right...Good luck

Maybe I'll spend a little more time walking around the stores in the Scarpas and give another look to the Kenetreks and the Lowas. I do not have big feet though as most of you have said you do. I wear a 10 1/2 - 11 (like a 44 1/2 euro) and my feet are normal width with slightly flattened arches (prob too many ruck marches in combat boots lol)

I'm a fan of the La Sportiva Nepal Evo Gtx. If it wasn't for a smokin deal i got on a pair of Scarpa Mont Blanc's(which i love) i woulda got the La Sportiva's hands down. I haven't heard of very many hunters using them which surprises me, but thats the boot i woulda gone with for my sheep hunts. A bit spendy at 475....

Have tried on the Scarpa escapes and they felt good not to stiff not to soft.I have a pair of AKu Utah GTX that are the best boots i have ever used for going down hill.They have a folded over tongue locks the foot in really well.My sheep boots are Meindle Canada 3000 very comfy.

Ram those look nice. I wish there was somewhere to try them on, one of the crappy things about being in Fbnks. I spent some time trying on different things again today and I think I fell in love with the LaSportiva Trango's. Instant out of the box comfort. Nice rocker and plenty stiff. I really liked the locking center eye too, really lets you customize the fit! Not bad at $300 either.

did you try on the sportivas in fbks pyron if so were?

Scotty, beaver sports had several models as well as Lowas and a few Scarpas. I think I remember you saying you have wide feet. Try checking out the kenetreks at Sportsman's, I know but I hadn't been in there in forever and the devoted the whole corner now, must have 3 or 4 times more shoes than before!

I've been using the La Sportiva Nepal Evo GTX for the last two years and I couldn't be happier w/ a pair of boots, I'll probably continue to buy them as they wear out. Before that I had a pair of Hanwags that were awesome, I put alot of miles on em and would probably still be using them but they somehow got cut w/ an ax. They were the toughest all leather boot I have ever had, never could stretch them out. Before that it was Koflachs, great boot obviously really durable, I liked the double boot, the glacier socks option, they just didn't fit my feet. Koflachs did alot of damage to my feet on a 10 day hunt. This taught me to take multiple day trips in the same pair of boots to see how my feet would react after wearing boots day after day, the periodic day hikes didn't give me a proper evaluation. I have had a difficult time getting the right boots, I bought my last pair at AMH and there is a guy there who will go through extensive measures to get your boots to fit just right, he is waaayyy underpaid for his services.

ok thanks pyron i will check them out.

Default Boots

Get a pair of La Sportiva Nepal Evo GT's and never look back. I have been using them for about four years. I have a pair of Liskamm's and Lowa Sheephunter's and there is no comparison.