Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious about the ultimate bear defense caliber?

Default Curious about the ultimate bear defense caliber?

Here it is. I think it's safe to say that there is no more powerful shoulder-fired weapon on earth. The two-bore cartridge fires a 3500 grain, or half-pound projectile! Buy one of these bad boys, and even if you miss the bear, you will rupture the tectonic plates of the earth between you and the bear, thereby preventing it's ability to reach you.

Here's a picture of the two-bore case. The "little" one on the left side is a .600 Nitro Express. The two-bore on the right side is more that 1.30" in diameter. More info here: http://www.2-bore.com/home.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I was thinking if you miss at least the recoil will have severed your spine so you won't feel him eating you.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

THIS ONE is only a 4-bore tossing a 4-ounce ball (1700 grains), but it should do the job. Cartridge or muzzlestuffer, you only get one shot.

.50BMG is the ultimate.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    .50BMG is the ultimate.
    Nope. Size does matter. 1/2 inch versus 1.30 inches. 1.30 inches is bigger = better. Besides, you get yourself a lathe, a manufacturer of destructive devices license, and you can make an exploding projectile for your 2-bore.

These rifles cost almost as much as a house anyways. With that lathe you buy and some skill, you could easily build yourself a muzzle-loading 2-bore. With a mill you could do a falling block action that'd handle it.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    THIS ONE is only a 4-bore tossing a 4-ounce ball (1700 grains), but it should do the job. Cartridge or muzzlestuffer, you only get one shot.
    The two-bore is available as a side-by-side double rifle. I think that's the only way they come, as a matter of fact. They need the additional weight of a second barrel to mitigate the enormous recoil these monsters produce.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Nope. Size does matter. 1/2 inch versus 1.30 inches. 1.30 inches is bigger = better. Besides, you get yourself a lathe, a manufacturer of destructive devices license, and you can make an exploding projectile for your 2-bore.

These rifles cost almost as much as a house anyways. With that lathe you buy and some skill, you could easily build yourself a muzzle-loading 2-bore. With a mill you could do a falling block action that'd handle it.

u had me at lathe!
    Semper Fi!

For the record, this post was prompted by an article in the May 2011 issue of Guns and Ammo by Craig Boddington titled "Those Terrible 2s". The article details an interesting history of the ultimate big-bore. Sir Samuel Baker in the 19th Century had a muzzle-loading rifle made to handle a half-pound projectile. The rifle weighed 20 pounds. Baker reported that his rifle was fired no more than twenty times, and remarked that "On such occasions, my men had the gratification of firing it, and the explosion was always accompanied by two men falling on their backs (one having propped up the shooter) and the "baby" (his rifle's name) flying some yards behind them."

"Baby" was a single-shot muzzle-loader. Anyone want to pull the trigger on one of those? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    For the record, this post was prompted by an article in the May 2011 issue of Guns and Ammo by Craig Boddington titled "Those Terrible 2s". The article details an interesting history of the ultimate big-bore. Sir Samuel Baker in the 19th Century had a muzzle-loading rifle made to handle a half-pound projectile. The rifle weighed 20 pounds. Baker reported that his rifle was fired no more than twenty times, and remarked that "On such occasions, my men had the gratification of firing it, and the explosion was always accompanied by two men falling on their backs (one having propped up the shooter) and the "baby" (his rifle's name) flying some yards behind them."

"Baby" was a single-shot muzzle-loader. Anyone want to pull the trigger on one of those? ;-)
    I'll watch thanks much!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I've always been of the opinion that the ultimate bear defense round is the biggest round an individual can fire accurately.

I've had two 458 lotts, and now have a 500 Jeffrey. I'd say for me, a 416 is the practical limit.

I'll fire any gun, once.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I've always been of the opinion that the ultimate bear defense round is the biggest round an individual can fire accurately.

I've had two 458 lotts, and now have a 500 Jeffrey. I'd say for me, a 416 is the practical limit.

I'll fire any gun, once.
    I share your sentiment. I once fired an .460 WBY and have no desire to do so again. I can hand-load my .450 Marlin to sufficiently handle any game I'm ever likely to encounter, and I can handle the recoil. I can't help but be interested in "bigger" though.

Default Gepard GM6

How bout' this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt08L...eature=related

I think the volume of fire makes up for the puny .50BMG round.
    -J

And that 'soft recoil' dampening system is just awesome.

But for $8000 you could get a .950 JDJ, with a 3600 Grain bullet. Only issue is that the 'rifle' weighs 80-110lbs depending on options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcEvBwMKZ9s

Red face

I'm partial to the 22lr, but my Bro in law tells me the .17 is a superior bear gun, as there's no recoil, compared to the 22lr...but whadda I know, he grew up here in bear country...I only watched Yogi & Ben on "Grizzly Adams" on TV...

Heck soldier we could check one of the new fandangled 320's we got out then play with it in bear country might also be fun to through some of it's lures at the salmon too as one of us stands down stream with a net.lol

One also has to remember that 3500 grains is the weight of a pure lead round ball, a conical, which a metallic cartridge will almost certainly use, would weight more. I have not seen a 2 bore double in the flesh, though I have seen single shots and some 4 bore doubles, having handled a couple of the 4bore doubles I'm unsure how a human would handle a double 2 bore. It would almost certainly need wheels!

I'll fire any gun, once.
    I used to say that but I got wised up with a 50BMG pistol we built without a brake on it, ainít gonna fire that once EVER again! 18 years later and my thumb still clicks and there is a dent in my forehead now exposed by receding hairline from 14 pounds of steel hitting it. Now my mantra is Iíll watch any gun fired . . . then . . . if that idget doesnít need stitches Iíll think about it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default the one you can hit your target with...

... is the finest round available.

Thank you very much, a really nice sharing

Default Big bores

There was a link going around some time back about a .600 NE revolver custom made in Switzerland (I believe). Cost was only around $17,000 - about the same as some of the custom Ruger conversions.

Stogers has a 4 bore muzzle loader at one time in the early 60s in their "Shooter's Bible". . Actually saw one at a gun show but didn't have the spare change to buy it- a real regret to this day.

S&W comes out with a "world's most powerful revolver" ever 20-30 years. I just hope I'm not too old to shoot it when the next one comes out. My .500 is getting kinda boring - I'm ready for something new and exciting!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast