Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 76

Thread: What is your remote project this year?

  1. #1
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default What is your remote project this year?

    Do you have projects that are a priority, cabin, outhouse, root cellar or whatever?
    JOHN

  2. #2
    Member akflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Paid for property! Beautiful lake, Just got to get there & decide, snow-machined out this winter, spring will tell soon.

  3. #3
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,121

    Default

    Adding on to ours. Put the floor in last year, hauled out the walls and second floor this winter.
    Planning a construction party in late June early July to get 'er done in short order.
    Will haul out the 2nd story supplies and roofing next winter to finish her up next summer.
    Also would like to build a new heated outhouse this summer.
    BK

  4. #4
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    Paid for property! Beautiful lake, Just got to get there & decide, snow-machined out this winter, spring will tell soon.
    That is the most fun, having land with nothing on it and decidng what to do. Some people will go to their remote property set up a tent for a few days, have a cooler of whatever to drink, food and a real comfortable chair, sit back and scan the land and picture exactly what you want. While doing that, it is quiet and you will hear birds, maybe see some kind of wildlife, a small plane fly over and then it hits you, you made the right decision and say, I could spend the rest of my life here. Good Luck
    JOHN

  5. #5
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Adding on to ours. Put the floor in last year, hauled out the walls and second floor this winter.
    Planning a construction party in late June early July to get 'er done in short order.
    Will haul out the 2nd story supplies and roofing next winter to finish her up next summer.
    Also would like to build a new heated outhouse this summer.
    BK
    Ilike the heated outhouse part. I wish I knew enough people to have a construction party myself. Most everyone I know live way out in real remote areas and don't like to leave where they are. Will you be living there full time?
    JOHN

  6. #6

    Default

    Heated outhouse caught my eye, I have a cabin built but the outhouse being cold is always an issue with company, hahaha. Lets hear the plans for a heated outhouse, I have had a few thoughts but none that are realistic or functional. Thanks
    BL

  7. #7
    Supporting Member Old John's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    A remote cabin is just like a woman..... they both require (demand) constant attention...!!!

  8. #8
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blofgren View Post
    Heated outhouse caught my eye, I have a cabin built but the outhouse being cold is always an issue with company, hahaha. Lets hear the plans for a heated outhouse, I have had a few thoughts but none that are realistic or functional. Thanks
    BL
    The best I can come up with is build the outhouse big enough to keep a oil drip stove in it with a 300 gal. tank,
    JOHN

  9. #9

    Default

    I have a heated outhouse. I insulated the walls and the door with ridge foam. Then put paneling on the walls. I have a propane light that I leave burning when I am at the cabin in the winter.I have the small propane bottle mounted up high so that it stays warm while in use. I also have a propane bottle setting on the floor that has a a small heater on it that I turn on when I first get there and then after it warms up turn it off. The outhouse has a roof made from the solar type of fiberglass . That lets in pleanty of light after removing the snow. The propane light is mounted about half way up the wall. You get a lot of milage out of a 25lb. bottle , I turn the light down some after things are warm.

  10. #10
    Member Gerberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Soldotna AK, Eugene, OR
    Posts
    613

    Default

    I have a porch raising party planned June 9 to 18th with 5 of my contractor friends, I will pay their way up and out to the cabin, then we will work our tails off to get the porch and siding on the cabin, we will take one day and go out to halibut fish, if we get done soon enough we will try our luck at some river fishing. I am a real slave driver, lots of daylight= lots of work.

  11. #11
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    I have a heated outhouse. I insulated the walls and the door with ridge foam. Then put paneling on the walls. I have a propane light that I leave burning when I am at the cabin in the winter.I have the small propane bottle mounted up high so that it stays warm while in use. I also have a propane bottle setting on the floor that has a a small heater on it that I turn on when I first get there and then after it warms up turn it off. The outhouse has a roof made from the solar type of fiberglass . That lets in pleanty of light after removing the snow. The propane light is mounted about half way up the wall. You get a lot of milage out of a 25lb. bottle , I turn the light down some after things are warm.


    I would like to see a picture of that. Would you share a picture?
    JOHN

  12. #12
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    I have a porch raising party planned June 9 to 18th with 5 of my contractor friends, I will pay their way up and out to the cabin, then we will work our tails off to get the porch and siding on the cabin, we will take one day and go out to halibut fish, if we get done soon enough we will try our luck at some river fishing. I am a real slave driver, lots of daylight= lots of work.


    "lots of daylight= lots of work" That's the Alaskan way.
    JOHN

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    A remote cabin is just like a woman..... they both require (demand) constant attention...!!!
    Hmmmmm....I'm thinking you can substitute the word "man" for "woman" and still have an accurate statement!

    The snow took my cookstove chimney off the cabin roof, so fixing that is my next project......

  14. #14
    Member KelvinG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna, AK
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Iíve got three projects in mind and will be happy if I complete two of them.

    1st is to build a solar tracker for our solar panels. After looking at the commercial ones going for $7000.00 or so I figured I could build my own for less than 1/2 the price. Iíve got the basic design down and have started collecting the bits and pieces I need.

    2nd is to build a good root cellar. Iím still playing with different construction methods. Iím favoring 6x6 posts for a frame. Surplus metal roofing with some kind of waterproof membrane for the walls, (that should allow good thermal conductivity with the earth). And a well insulated roof under about 2 foot of dirt.

    3rd is a Adirondack style shelter to park the toys in.

  15. #15

    Default

    no pictures at this time ,after breakup.

  16. #16
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    no pictures at this time ,after breakup.

    OK, can't wait to see them.
    JOHN

  17. #17
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    Iíve got three projects in mind and will be happy if I complete two of them.

    1st is to build a solar tracker for our solar panels. After looking at the commercial ones going for $7000.00 or so I figured I could build my own for less than 1/2 the price. Iíve got the basic design down and have started collecting the bits and pieces I need.

    2nd is to build a good root cellar. Iím still playing with different construction methods. Iím favoring 6x6 posts for a frame. Surplus metal roofing with some kind of waterproof membrane for the walls, (that should allow good thermal conductivity with the earth). And a well insulated roof under about 2 foot of dirt.

    3rd is a Adirondack style shelter to park the toys in.

    A friend of mine built one of them and it is what I might have at my new Homestead.
    JOHN

  18. #18
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northbird1 View Post
    Hmmmmm....I'm thinking you can substitute the word "man" for "woman" and still have an accurate statement!

    The snow took my cookstove chimney off the cabin roof, so fixing that is my next project......
    My woodstove chimney blew off a couple of times during some huge wind storms this winter. Had to replce the wires with stronger ones. Seems to work so far.
    JOHN

  19. #19
    Member Grayling Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    728

    Default

    I installed solar panels last trip before the ice started going. First trip I will be installing 12 volt rv water pump, 35g. water tank, propane on-demand water heater, and 12v car stereo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

  20. #20
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    I installed solar panels last trip before the ice started going. First trip I will be installing 12 volt rv water pump, 35g. water tank, propane on-demand water heater, and 12v car stereo.

    You have a really nice setting there. Any views? What general area are you in?
    JOHN

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •