Thread: 19' SeaSport Skipper - outboard

Default 19' SeaSport Skipper - outboard

I am converting a 19' SeaSport Skipper from 4.3 liter Yamaha Sterndrive to an outboard on a sea drive. Anyone done something similar?

For the new outboard, I'd like to cruise 40 MPH on flat water without pushing it too hard. I'm thinking 225 HP. Am I in the ball park? I cannot find info. on the boat's weight, and weighing it right now is very impractical. Are there other considerations I need to think about?

I'm definitely no expert, but 225 hp should push just about any 19' to 33-35 knots; which equates to somewhere around 40 mph. Things that affect speed: load/balance, weight, hull design, how much motor/lower unit is in the water. Make sure the transom is up to the job/stress of a large outboard.
    Jim

There is alot of things to consider before you do this conversion. I have a converted fiberglass glassply, and there is several things I wish had been done differently. I can give you more info but it is to much for this post.

Default OB's

Ragman- Could you briefly describe what you did that worked and what you would have done differently? Thanks

Did you get my last message? I hope it was helpfull if you did.

Thank-you ragman4me, for responding. I've been out of town, etc. and away. The boat is in the finishing stages of having the transom bracket or sea drive attached. If it's not too late, go ahead and let me know all your advice, etc. I think you can get to my eMail address through this forum.