Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has converted from i/o to an outboard?

Default Who has converted from i/o to an outboard?

I have removed my old OMC electric shift stinger i/o and in the middle of adding an outboard on a bracket.

Anyone with stories to share?

Sobie2

You need to take the boat to a good fiberglass man like CAC plastics in wasilla. Your old drive used the stringers to bear
    most of the weight. This means the transom has to be strengthed for an outboard bracket.I would call steve at CAC and
    use his experience, he will most likely need to have the bracket to complete the job.Then go and buy a good suzuki outboard
    and go fishing. The next question, is this a boat you can live with long enough to ammortize the money that it is going to cost.
    If you intend to try and sell the boat after you will take in the pocket book. A good bracket will cost 1000 to 1500.

I forgot about this thread. I have already yanked out the old engine/drive. I already have the outboard bracket made up. Now I have to glas in some plywood as the old transom was less than 1/2" glass due to the type of i/o (OMC electric shift). Then cut and glass some stringers and connect the two. I live in Southeast, AK so CAC isn't an option.

Sobie2

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Hey Sobie, I'd love to see some pics once you are done with the project...maybe even take a few during the build showing the progress?

I did the conversion last year and could not be happier. Minus having the box made for me, I did all the work myself. Even though I read I would have been good with the box mounted on the transom (3") without support, I decided to weld up a little insurance, steel plate on the transom with rails bolted to the original engine mount. Worked beautifully. Went from a 2000- 190hp 4.3l Mercruiser that weighed 850lbs plus, to a 2001 Johnson 200hp that weighs in at 450lbs. I may not have made any diffrence (positive that is) in fuel consumption, but have peace of mind (never liked I/O much) and she skips right along, no issue.
    Attachment 58902
    Attachment 58903

Your pics didn't seem to work....

Yep, I pulled out a 350 inboard this winter and had Greatland Welding reconfigure/beef up the swim platform and made a fish well there the 350 inboard was. Dewey’s hung a 300 Yamaha on the back, just picked the boat up yesterday and can’t wait to get her into the water!

Greatland did an awesome job, and the folks at Dewey’s commended on their fabrication and welding work!

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Yep, I pulled out a 350 inboard this winter and had Greatland Welding reconfigure/beef up the swim platform and made a fish well there the 350 inboard was. Dewey’s hung a 300 Yamaha on the back, just picked the boat up yesterday and can’t wait to get her into the water!

Greatland did an awesome job, and the folks at Dewey’s commended on their fabrication and welding work!
    Very nice looking clean job, looks like the bracket will offer some floatation as well.
    Would love to hear the numbers when you get it in the drink.......
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

...strange, works for me, maybe this will work better?

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Very nice looking clean job, looks like the bracket will offer some floatation as well.
    Would love to hear the numbers when you get it in the drink.......
    I will let you know, breaking her in the first week of May! the 350 and out drive weight also 1100 pounds, this new 300 Yamaha weights in at 588, so with the extra floatation it should work out good!

Have converted 2 different boats in SE over the years. PM me if you have not done it yet, it's pretty simple to do.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Muttley,

That interior transom plate with the triangles that go the the old engine beds is what I was thinking I would do. A few of the shops want me to laminate plywood to the whole of the transom instead. Because my Uniflite was an OMC electric shift unit the fiberglass on the stern is only 1/4" thick. A picture is always worth a thousand words. Thanks for sharing.

Sobie2

Well this project has been in my yard for a while. BUT this week I picked up a complete Suzuki DF250 that went for swim in freshwater, AND a parts DF250 that blew a power head. So I have the electrics from one that I can put on another. I am waiting for the weather to warm up before glassing the transom, bolting on a bracket, and hanging the motor. I am getting excited.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Well this project has been in my yard for a while. BUT this week I picked up a complete Suzuki DF250 that went for swim in freshwater, AND a parts DF250 that blew a power head. So I have the electrics from one that I can put on another. I am waiting for the weather to warm up before glassing the transom, bolting on a bracket, and hanging the motor. I am getting excited.

Sobie2
    Good to see this revived seems you have a 27' Uniflite...?
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    I will let you know, breaking her in the first week of May! the 350 and out drive weight also 1100 pounds, this new 300 Yamaha weights in at 588, so with the extra floatation it should work out good!
    Hey Ramhunter, been almost 2 years.......hows the OB working out....?
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Hey Sobie, I'd love to see some pics once you are done with the project...maybe even take a few during the build showing the progress?
    YEH! Me Too..!

I might fiberglass in some triangle braces or spend the money and get one of these made.

The boat is a 23'

Sobie2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upgrade the console to hydraulic steering. Hopefully I can keep the Uniflite steering wheel, if not it's going to get a stainless destroyer wheel. New white gauges and a new top mount binnacle shift throttle.

Sobie2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Olympic conversion went well used aluminum plate on both sides of hole with lost of fasteners and 5200

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by danmiotke View Post
    Olympic conversion went well used aluminum plate on both sides of hole with lost of fasteners and 5200
    Where did you get the bracket?
    Did you add bracing?
    Did you plug and glass the hole before putting the aluminum plates and bracket?

I've been thinking of doing a similar conversion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast