Thread: Which motor would you recommend?

Default Which motor would you recommend?

My old man bought a esquif cargo and is now looking at outboard motors. Personally I would recommend the 9.9 lightweight Merc, but he would prefer a 6HP motor. So, the brands he is looking at right now is Merc, Suzuki, and Yamaha. He will use the canoe and motor on lakes and slow flowing creek.

Which one and why?

I had a chance to double the canoe order and get a Esquif cargo myself but I'm fine and dandy with my Osagian with 8HP suzuki.

Just got one myself. I've tried my 3.3 Merc and it is not enough. I will try my Johnson 6 hp 2 cyl and see how that works and I suspect it will be fine since I use it on my Grumman 17 and it works well.

I am not sure the transom on the Cargo will take a heavier motor without some beefing up. It seems to be rather flimsy for an 80+ lb motor but I have not tried one. I was looking at a 4 stroke 9.9 and I believe it will be too heavy. The 2 stroke 9.9 may be the answer.

I'm very interested in the thoughts of other as well.

Does anyone even manufacture small 2 strokes anymore? I just can't find any on the net.

I feel like my two stroke is now made of gold

water gremlin,
    i just got a 15 foot osagian. thinking about putting a 7hp mud motor long tail on it. what about that? also i run a honda 5hp 4 stroke on a 16 foot coleman barge. pushes it fine.

Me thinks the airboat would be more fun.

Ok, joking aside, I have no experience with sq stern canoes and mud motors. There are a few on here that are quote knowledgeable in that department though.

I've been sporting the same canoe and outboard for 15 years. Honestly, I think I would be disappointed with anything else since my setup does what i want it to do so perfectly. That's why I didnt buy the esquif and save on shipping two for the price of one. Tempting I must say but I had to decline.

I do like the sound of the twin 6hp suzuki Mainer mentioned in another thread. There is a slightly used 9.9 Yami 2 stroke on craigslist right now. That turns my gears more so than a new canoe. But from what I can tell new two strokes are a thing of the past.

Hmm I wounded if my osagian would hit 20mph on the gps with the 9.9?

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post

Ok, joking aside, I have no experience with sq stern canoes and mud motors. There are a few on here that are quote knowledgeable in that department though.

I've been sporting the same canoe and outboard for 15 years. Honestly, I think I would be disappointed with anything else since my setup does what i want it to do so perfectly. That's why I didnt buy the esquif and save on shipping two for the price of one. Tempting I must say but I had to decline.

I do like the sound of the twin 6hp suzuki Mainer mentioned in another thread. There is a slightly used 9.9 Yami 2 stroke on craigslist right now. That turns my gears more so than a new canoe. But from what I can tell new two strokes are a thing of the past.

Ill water ski behind you
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post

With your canoe, you actually won't see much of an increase of speed. When you get up around 14 mph, the stern may start digging in a bit. Top speed of my older discoveries with a 9.8 tohatsu four stroke was 16 mph with a light load and a sting ray. This wide open throttle speed was senseless because when I brought the throttle down to about 2/3.....I was doing 15 mph. BUT.......there was very little change in speed with a heavy load which was very nice in faster current. I agree with yah about two strokes being made of gold nowadays. If you aren't running the congested Kenai (which certainly needed pollution control), the two strokes are still good motors. I just found a mint condition 2004 model Tohatsu 25 horse two stroke short shaft for my lager freighter. This model has all zinc coated passages, stainless steel water pump, zinc coated thermostat, 3 sacrificial annodes, and the original prop that looks very clean. There's not a touch of corrosion on the annodes and you can tell it was never run in the salt. What did I pick this up for?: about 75% less than a new 20 horse four stroke tohatsu. The extra torque and bigger prop of the 25 horse two stroke will allow the motor to be run at half throttle against strong current. This efficiency will still bring reasonable fuel mileage from a 25 horse that weighs far less than a 20 horse four stroke tohastu. With the low price I paid, it'll go in the salt without a single worry. Outboard motors were designed to last for a very long time, so although this motor is like new......it was literally sold for a "throw away price" only because it's a two stroke. It won't pollute the Tanana, the Yukon, or PWS.......

How much gas could I buy for the $2000 I saved over a new 20 horse tohatsu four stroke?
    At half throttle, how would this compare to a 20 horse tohatsu four stroke for fuel consumption?
    How much weight could my larger freighter handle?

These are the questions I asked myself before I passed up this deal.
    Here's the answers I came up with
    1. Over 280 gallons of fuel
    2. about equal fuel mileage if I stay at half throttle with this more powerful two stroke
    3. the freighter would handle at least 2,500 lbs of sht, what is a little extra gas gonna do?

Howdy

My numbers -
    9.8 Tohatsu four stroke was 17 mph on 17' Osagian at about 1/2 to 5/8 throttle, about 550lbs in the canoe, no current, little wind
    5 Tohatsu four stroke was 16 mph on 17' Osagian at full throttle, about 400lbs in the canoe, no current, little wind

I know how you find out your answer; I have a Mercury 7.5hp, 2 stroke 1984 with less than 30 hr.

Just how much GOLD are we talking about?????????????????????