Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Employement Agencies?

Default Employement Agencies?

So I am still in the hunt for a Job in AK as I would like to secure employment before making the move up. Unfortunately, that has proven more difficult than I had hoped as most employers seems to shy away from those outside of the state. A few folks have suggested looking into some of the employment agencies in the state to see if they could help locate a job for me. I first wanted to ask to see if you thought that was a good idea? If so, my follow-up question would be, what are some good employment agencies in the state (preferably around Soldotna, Kenai or Anhcorage) that a person could use?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    G3 Guy
    "...with God all things are possible." - Mark 10:27

I don't know about employment agencies, but have you looked at what the State of Alaska has to offer?

State Library Electronic Doorway has a lot of good general info. Alaska Labor Exchange Information lists a lot of government and non-government jobs. Most of the non-government jobs are from large sized employers.

Good Luck,
    Kelvin

Yeah I have some issue with that too G3_Guy good luck with your search. And wish me luck I have a phone interview in ten minutes .

Well how did it go? What field of work are you in?
    G3 Guy

I feel it went well being the first interview, it lasted for about an hour. But I have had other ones were the guy told me if I was standing in his office I would have the job but now he won't return my emails. I am in the IT world, for the last eight years I have been an a consultant for small to large companies.

It does seem that employers are a little gun shy about hiring us out of state'rs on which I really can't blame them. I know that a lot of people move to Alaska but also a lot of people move out. I have been trying to focus in the interview that I will be moving there with or without their job. My biggest issue it seems is the timing, I wont be there until June 23rd due too my kids getting out of school. But like I told this last one if they had a plane ticket waiting for me that my butt would be that plane.

What field are you in so I can keep an eye out for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by kantill View Post
    I feel it went well being the first interview, it lasted for about an hour. But I have had other ones were the guy told me if I was standing in his office I would have the job but now he won't return my emails. I am in the IT world, for the last eight years I have been an a consultant for small to large companies.

It does seem that employers are a little gun shy about hiring us out of state'rs on which I really can't blame them. I know that a lot of people move to Alaska but also a lot of people move out. I have been trying to focus in the interview that I will be moving there with or without their job. My biggest issue it seems is the timing, I wont be there until June 23rd due too my kids getting out of school. But like I told this last one if they had a plane ticket waiting for me that my butt would be that plane.

Not that I know much but i would think that if you get offered a job, they are not going to buy you ticket. It no different if you work on slope. If you live out of state, you are responsible for travel to anchorage. They don't pay for gas for ppl to drive from valley to anchorage.
    On side note, try some of the native corporations. Nana, ciri, asrc.
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

I didn't make the statement as in I want them to relocate me but more as in I am ready to get to work. Again I have told them that I will be there no matter what happens in the interview. Actually I have one company that wants me to give them a call when I do get in town. I have only seen one job that offers relocation help but that job was in Dutch harbor and after some research I really didn't to move there.

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    Not that I know much but i would think that if you get offered a job, they are not going to buy you ticket. It no different if you work on slope. If you live out of state, you are responsible for travel to anchorage. They don't pay for gas for ppl to drive from valley to anchorage.
    On side note, try some of the native corporations. Nana, ciri, asrc.
    Like Kantill, I'm not looking for a free ride. Getting to AK is not the problem at all as I'm more than happy to pay for my move up. The problem as it would appear over the past 3 months (at least to me) is that most companies see that I am living in TN and automatically write me off as either not really serious about moving up or as too big of a risk, even though by all accounts I am qualified for the position (according to their job posting). While I can certainly understand and appreciate a companies concern and hesitation about hiring someone from the lower 48, it does becomes somewhat frustrating when you know you can and will work just as hard, if not harder, for a company if they would just give you the chance.

I realize all of this may sound like whining but that's not my intent at all. I'm just looking for different ways I could possibly overcome these road blocks I have in front of me and I ask about the job agencies as one possible aid or solution. I'm interested to know if anyone has used an agency in the past, what their experience was like and if they would recommend any specific ones.
    G3 Guy

my bad.. but do look into those companies. I know ciri was looking for it last month. Good luck
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

It is not that an employer will question that you are a hard worker. They are wondering when, not if, the environment will crush your spirit and send you scampering back home.

How much should they invest in you as an employee when they don't know if you can handle the winter, or the summer?

Most of these employers have gone through several rounds of people that yern to move up here, get here, find out that 4 hours of kinda sorta daylight in the cold of January seriously sucks, and then 20 hours of serious daylight in the cold of June sucks more, and then head back home.

These companies have put up with this for a long time, and they run a huge risk in hiring someone that has not spent a year up here and think its all good. Being a good worker is great, but being able to handle the mental stress that the environment puts on an 8 to 5 work day is something else.

Again I really don't blame them on that, all I can do is one try and second explain that I have lived in places like northwestern montana to convey that I am no stranger to winter or long summer hours.

Employers tend not to hire people from out of state because the majority of them will leave within two years. At my previous job in the 11 years I was there we had about 10 different engineers go through our group. Myself and another engineer have been in AK long term, another one was there for severla years but had to leave due to health problems, every single other engineer didn't last more than two years, some of them didn't even make it one year.

And in almost 100% of those cases, the guys wanted to stay, but their spouses said, "I'm leaving AK with or without you." That's the reality of dealing with employees in Alaska. Even those that are living up here and hired up here have a habit of cycling out of the state. So for an employer to go to the expense of interviewing and hiring, then relocating from the lower 48, and having that employee leave in short order makes employers very leary of hiring people out of state.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Employers tend not to hire people from out of state because the majority of them will leave within two years. At my previous job in the 11 years I was there we had about 10 different engineers go through our group. Myself and another engineer have been in AK long term, another one was there for severla years but had to leave due to health problems, every single other engineer didn't last more than two years, some of them didn't even make it one year.

And in almost 100% of those cases, the guys wanted to stay, but their spouses said, "I'm leaving AK with or without you." That's the reality of dealing with employees in Alaska. Even those that are living up here and hired up here have a habit of cycling out of the state. So for an employer to go to the expense of interviewing and hiring, then relocating from the lower 48, and having that employee leave in short order makes employers very leary of hiring people out of state.
    That's were I am lucky as well in that my wife is also wanting to move and she grew up in northwestern montana. She is a country girl that most likely handle it better than I can

I have lived in places like northwestern montana .
    she grew up in northwestern montana.
    Lots of NW MT people up here. However, I get tired to them telling me how much the trout fishing in AK sucks compared to back in Montana.

Walmarts ALWAYS hiring! unless you to big of a man to work right away and look for other work while your working.. let me tell you your chances of landing right into your dream job of a lifetime are 0%.. so take what you can get and them when your up here work and look.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Lots of NW MT people up here. However, I get tired to them telling me how much the trout fishing in AK sucks compared to back in Montana.
    I it can't be worst than the some of the trout fishing here in washington. I view it as a trade off maybe the trout not as good but you can't fish for halibut in montana now can ya.

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    Walmarts ALWAYS hiring! unless you to big of a man to work right away and look for other work while your working.. let me tell you your chances of landing right into your dream job of a lifetime are 0%.. so take what you can get and them when your up here work and look.
    I really don't care what it is as long as I can support my family and I, but I would pretty stupid not to try to land a job in my career field. Besides unless I can get someone to pay me to hunt, fish and camp for living I rather doubt I'll ever my "dream" job.

Have you made any contact with GCI, ACS, AT&T, the University of Alaska? If you are an IT professional looking for employment you should make every effort to contact these agencies. As a director in this field I can tell you I see the same names cross my desk year after year for a variety of positions. Check out their web sites; the State of Alaska is another great source of information as well as the Municipality of Anchorage. Have you conducted any cost of living comparisons? When I hire I hire the most qualified regardless of where they reside. You can always negotiate a start date beyond the standard two-weeks - particularly if you are the individual most suited for the position. Good luck!!!
    Karma is like a rubber band; it can only stretch so far before it comes back and smacks you in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by HikeHunt View Post
    Have you made any contact with GCI, ACS, AT&T, the University of Alaska? If you are an IT professional looking for employment you should make every effort to contact these agencies. As a director in this field I can tell you I see the same names cross my desk year after year for a variety of positions. Check out their web sites; the State of Alaska is another great source of information as well as the Municipality of Anchorage. Have you conducted any cost of living comparisons? When I hire I hire the most qualified regardless of where they reside. You can always negotiate a start date beyond the standard two-weeks - particularly if you are the individual most suited for the position. Good luck!!!
    Thanks hikehunt and yes I have checked with them and submitted my resume to them as well. I also check with the local paper as well as internet job boards, craigslist and alaskalist. I have done lots of research of the cost of living differences between here in Spokane and the Anchorage area. I can also tell you last September when my wife and I was there we went around to the local stores to compare prices.

I also don't mean to sound like I am upset with the employer I mentioned, just if I didn't get the job that's fine. All I ask after two interviews and several emails just let me know. to me that would the professional thing to do.

If I may be so bold can I forward my resume to you? If you say no I will completely understand but like you said I am trying to make every effort.

G3Guy, kantill...
    For 13 years i have worked in several different capacities dealing with unemployed people, both Alaskans and nonresidents. Email me a brief resume. Although I am no longer actively employed as a veterans representative, I know the best of the best that are. And we/they do not just work with vets. Although the economy sucks, employment opportunities in Anchorage are reasonably good conpared to the rest of Alaska and the entire nation for those wanting and willing to work. Good stuff can happen, if you got the right stuff (and are without "problems"). Alaska can be compared to an island, and the talent pool can sometimes be limited. The employers I have consistently worked with do not care where you are from, if you got the talent.
    ...might start with a different avatar image G3Guy...make sure you clean up any concerns with facebook, telephone message recordings, anything/everything, ect. Everything counts in a competitive job market when applying for career positions. And be aware that Kenai and Soldotna are tough job markets, for career-type-jobs, at this time.
    Dennis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast