Thread: Bait in Anchorage?

Default Bait in Anchorage?

I usually buy my bait in Seward, but I'm headed out of Whittier this weekend and looking for some advice. Does anyone in town sell herring by the box? If not where is the best place in town to get bait?

Thanks
    Boatless

Try Alaska Bait Co. I think they have boxes. Hopefully herring available in Anchorage this year is of better quality than last year.

I second Alaska Bait. Here is the contact info:
    Alaska Bait Company

150 A Street Loop
    Anchorage, AK 99518
    907-562-2248

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I used to buy bait at 10th & M Lockers by the box but haven't for a few years now. I imagine they still sell it.

Most anything would likely be better than Alaska Bait from my experience.

Try C&J Meat Company. Call first to see if they have some in.
    (907) 562-2838 324 E Intl Airport Rd,

B&J should have herring, got some there last year n it worked for us. If I remember they have various amounts that can be purchased

Personally I'd say forget bait and use jigs. Secondly I'd add that

blows away herring
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Hey Paul,

Had a question about the Gulp here. Asked on the other thread but its further down now.

Have you tried the new gulp! ALIVE? Is it just as good as this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

blows away herring
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Thanks for the reply's, but I have better success with more bait in the water and one person jigging off the stern. If I'm drifting I'll have a couple people jigging, but still bounce bait at the same time. I've used gulp for mooching, but prefer cutting my own triscuit sized squares out of the herring fillets. lots of techniques to accomplish the same results. thanks for the input and advice everyone.
    Boatless

I've never had anything hit harder than a jig tipped with gulp. I don't know what they put in it, but it is much more effective than herring. I guess part of my reason to going to gulp is I've on more than one occasion and more than one establishment I've bought herring in Anchorage that is garbage. It's mushy when it thaws and won't stay on the hook, and I thaw it in salt which should firm it up. With gulp you get a consistant product and it stays on the hook great. You do have to be careful to seal it as it'll dry out and be useless.

I haven't tried the new gulp alive, but I'm tempted to get a jug so that I have some of the juice to rejuvinate my gulp.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

I just talked to the folks at 10th and M Seafoods and they just received their first load of halibut bait herring. 48# boxes at $1.50 per pound. They will split the box in half if you like. Last time I got my bait from them it was of top quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    I just talked to the folks at 10th and M Seafoods and they just received their first load of halibut bait herring. 48# boxes at $1.50 per pound. They will split the box in half if you like. Last time I got my bait from them it was of top quality.
    Thanks for the heads up on the bait. Where the herring really big? Capt. Jacks in Seward gets the best bait I've seen.
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the bait. Where the herring really big? Capt. Jacks in Seward gets the best bait I've seen.
    The last time I bought it at 10th & M they were big and firm but I haven't picked any up yet this year. I plan on picking some up in the next day or 2. I can let you know then...

I would like to try this stuff, where can I buy in Anchorage and which one works the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

blows away herring
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

B&J commercial has a huge selection. As far as which works best, I really don't think it matters, as as far as I know the basic scent is the same. I've used the 4" pogies for mooching salmon. I picked up some of the pre-cut strips that I'll use to tip my jigs with. I'll also probably pick up one of the gulp alive jugs to re-soak the strips in.

Just make sure if you have any left at the end of a trip to properly seal the bag, as it will dry out and then it's useless.

Going out this weekend so will stop by and pick some up.