Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BREAKUP.....How's it going?

Default BREAKUP.....How's it going?

Just wondering how breakup is going for everyone. Breakup here in my area is very slow this year. Biting at the bit to get the boat in the water. As of today, this is what my lake looks like.

JOHN

Beautiful picture of your lake!

breakup is starting to happen here. We had some rain upriver and that really got the water running! Still running mostly on top and around the river ice, but it is slowly rotting the solid ice out and carving some channels and open leads and black holes. Wouldn't mind if we just take it slow and easy here and breakup doesn't happen too soon as there is still a lot of solid ice out there.

Hope to take a walk~about and snap some pictures today.
    Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Grandma View Post
    Beautiful picture of your lake!

breakup is starting to happen here. We had some rain upriver and that really got the water running! Still running mostly on top and around the river ice, but it is slowly rotting the solid ice out and carving some channels and open leads and black holes. Wouldn't mind if we just take it slow and easy here and breakup doesn't happen too soon as there is still a lot of solid ice out there.

Hope to take a walk~about and snap some pictures today.
    Lori
    The only open water we have is close to the beach. The longest about30ft. 5ft. wide. We had really thick ice this year, one spot measured just about 6ft. thick. The average was about 3 to 5 ft. thick
    JOHN

Wow with that thick of ice you do still have a while to go until it clears/melts out! You need some hot temps now to get it going!

For the most part we had an early dump of snow that really insulated the ice this year so not too much overflow around and as far as i can tell the ice isn't all that thick, at least right here by the cabin. There are always those spots here and there that overflow every year. And it is those areas that most concern me as to how breakups gonna go or if the ice will decide to stop and jam. One is just a little ways downriver which could lead to problems. We do got a camp set up on higher ground if we need to use it, but it is about 1/2 mile out back across the flat then up the hill so it takes a bit to walk out there.

We never even had to chop out a water hole this year. Found a couple of hollow places and just crashed through that to find some shallow running water. Then we had a bit of overflow and we were able to scoop water from the edges where it met the deep snow. Been a nice winter that way!

Just saw 2 large seagulls floating out front when I went out to dip a bucket of water. Nice!

Wow with that thick of ice you do still have a while to go until it clears/melts out! You need some hot temps now to get it going!

For the most part we had an early dump of snow that really insulated the ice this year so not too much overflow around and as far as i can tell the ice isn't all that thick, at least right here by the cabin. There are always those spots here and there that overflow every year. And it is those areas that most concern me as to how breakups gonna go or if the ice will decide to stop and jam. One is just a little ways downriver which could lead to problems. We do got a camp set up on higher ground if we need to use it, but it is about 1/2 mile out back across the flat then up the hill so it takes a bit to walk out there.

We never even had to chop out a water hole this year. Found a couple of hollow places and just crashed through that to find some shallow running water. Then we had a bit of overflow and we were able to scoop water from the edges where it met the deep snow. Been a nice winter that way!

Just saw 2 large seagulls floating out front when I went out to dip a bucket of water. Nice!
    My cooler in the ice worked out real well this winter. I took it out about a week ago. I just went out to day to haul water,it was tough. It was easy getting it to the beach but, pulling the sled with 2.. 7gal jugs of water over rocks was workout. I am seeing quite a few seagulls and it's funny watching them look for water to land on. So, they are landing on ice.
    JOHN

boy i bet u cant wait for it to melt so you can get the heck outa there! walmart callin your name?
    Semper Fi!

I'd bet we can't wait for it to melt and breakup to be over so we can launch our boats/canoes and do some fishing...

Walmart? I don't think so. Not in my future anyways.

I'd bet we can't wait for it to melt and breakup to be over so we can launch our boats/canoes and do some fishing...

Walmart? I don't think so. Not in my future anyways.
    I was out today doing maintenace on the motor so I will be ready.
    JOHN

cabin fever u betcha!
    Semper Fi!

John,
    A lattice of bows or twigs should get that sled over the rocks/gravel. That is how we get boats back to the water line after a high tide.

Living the dream. Oh and I want you to keep the ice up at that end till it melts. I know you are not on Iliamna but last year on June 12 we had the wind shift and pushed all the ice down the lake and it was so bad I wouldn't let the boats go out. That is the latest I have ever had it run ice past the lodge.

George

heres link to our starting point, its coming along.. won,t be long now!
    http://www.deshkalanding.com/

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    John,
    A lattice of bows or twigs should get that sled over the rocks/gravel. That is how we get boats back to the water line after a high tide.

Living the dream. Oh and I want you to keep the ice up at that end till it melts. I know you are not on Iliamna but last year on June 12 we had the wind shift and pushed all the ice down the lake and it was so bad I wouldn't let the boats go out. That is the latest I have ever had it run ice past the lodge.

George
    I remember how brutal that ice can be. When I was on the Kvichak at Ron Hayes place, some of those ice chunks were as big as a house.
    JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    heres link to our starting point, its coming along.. won,t be long now!
    http://www.deshkalanding.com/
    Thanks for the update.
    JOHN

John,

And you were 30-40 miles down stream. Spring would always bring you gifts from up river tho. If Steve didn't get it first and Holmans.

George

Hey alaska4ever, the ice just went out of the creek last night! (Alexander that is) last report I had was it is out past Sucker Creek. Water is high and flowing fast. Been a longer than usual breakup here at the mouth than usaual, especialy since the misses and I just bought a plane and I am ready for flying lessons! Would be nice to see more sun eh?

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Hey alaska4ever, the ice just went out of the creek last night! (Alexander that is) last report I had was it is out past Sucker Creek. Water is high and flowing fast. Been a longer than usual breakup here at the mouth than usaual, especialy since the misses and I just bought a plane and I am ready for flying lessons! Would be nice to see more sun eh?
    I am all for more sun and drying out. I will be spending a lot of time on the homestead this summer cutting wood for winter, building the new cabin, outhouse and whatever else.
    JOHN

John,

And you were 30-40 miles down stream. Spring would always bring you gifts from up river tho. If Steve didn't get it first and Holmans.

George
    Do you ever talk to Steve? Being up on that hill, he doesn't have much to worry about. I miss going up to the flats fishing for bows.
    JOHN

John,

When I was in Naknek I would take my boat up to the lodge starting about now. I would always stop by and have coffee with Steve and Sam. I would also try to find if they needed anything and bring it. Now that I am in the valley I dont make that run and I miss it. Running the bay and lower river in the spring with the beluga, seals and birds was an awesome time. I would make a few runs each spring all by myself, what a relaxing time.

Did you ever get to know Carol Hester, she had the cabin on the right bank just around the corner down stream from you?

George

Breakup has slowed down the past couple days with a high pressure from the North making for hard freezes at night and cooler daytime highs. This at least give the water and snow a chance to soak into the ground better. Apparently that weather pattern has changed somewhat as we have 2 inches of wet sloppy snow this morning and quite a wind. Guess snow is better than rain right now. Gee just as the mud puddles were starting to dry up to.

Grandma Lori

John,

When I was in Naknek I would take my boat up to the lodge starting about now. I would always stop by and have coffee with Steve and Sam. I would also try to find if they needed anything and bring it. Now that I am in the valley I dont make that run and I miss it. Running the bay and lower river in the spring with the beluga, seals and birds was an awesome time. I would make a few runs each spring all by myself, what a relaxing time.

Did you ever get to know Carol Hester, she had the cabin on the right bank just around the corner down stream from you?

George

Oh Yeah, funny story, she and her Calif. boyfriend came up to spend time at the cabin. I had made homemade bread and was taking a loaf down to them. As I approached, I saw her boyfriend kneeling on the ice. He had an ice chipper about 5ft. long chipping away. He was sweating profusely. I asked him what he was doing and he said he wanted to ice fish but couldn't find the water. I told hin he needed to go another 20 or 30 ft. out. After doing two holes he decided he didn't need any fish. I understand they arn't together anymore.
    JOHN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast