Thread: Spring - Kodiak - 2.5 Months away

Default Spring - Kodiak - 2.5 Months away

OK all you fellow Permit holders and Longtime Kodiak Residents, what are your thoughts on this years Snow and Ice Cover and how it will play for this years Spring Season. Especially those people that have info on the South Side of the Island, and/or the various lakes in the that regions.

Do any of you know if Karluk, Frazer, O'Malley, South Olga Lakes, and other smaller Ponds in that rough are are likely to be open by Apr 15, May1, May15?

Yes I have a permit, yes we're going, the dates and locations of input and extraction are what will be dictated upon us.

if anyone that has been down is the Olga Bay, Deadman, Karluk or Frazer lakes Area, would be willing to post what they have seen as far as snow cover and Ice, there are about 20 or us permit holders that would love to hear the info.

I know that alot can change from then until now and I hope that Global Warming issue that everyone lies about kicks into full gear in the next few months.

There's a Brownie out there taking his last winters snoze before he takes a permanent Dirt Nap before May 15.

Default South end lakes

well for the last 2 springs we have had some very cold weather set in the first week of April and the lower lakes have been pretty frozen over til early May. OLga Lakes and Horse Marine Lake between Olga and Deadman Bays are real low elevation and usually open by the first week of May. Up until I left the area on Feb 5 it had been a fairly typical winter with a couple cold spells and a big thaw the end of Jan. Now its cold again with out much snow in the lower areas and anything can happen from now til huntin season. Best way to know is have a friend who is a local pilot working for one of the charter outfits. If I did this right there should be a pic attatched looking west into Horse Marine Pass from Deadman on Feb 5

Default Thanks

Rolan will be checking our proposed site when he gets down there, but I'm told to have a back up plan. Would love to see a picture of Horse Marine Pass.

I can't be the only guy out there wondering if Dem Bars are gonna be dug till May.

When are you heading back down to Deadman?

Thumbs up Spring Bears

I've already made plans not to got until May 1st. I plan on staying until the season closes. If it breaks up early the hides will not be so great but I'll still be hunting. I would hate to go down too early and spend a couple weeks camping in the snow. I think later will be better with the way things are right now but this IS Alaska so predicting weather is a crap shoot. Good luck to you. I'll be hunting South Uyak.

hunting the snow is wayyy easier than hunting without it..just an fyi
    temp and snow usually don't have much to do with rubbed bears, some come outa the hole rubbed, some never rub, all depends on the bear. you'll see alot more immature bears in may, which is what most residents end up shooting, the average skull size for residents is only like 22 or 23 inches, most non res average skull size is a little over 24 in i belive. can call fish and game and ask.
    Snow can be on the ground till july but the bears will still come out, they have to, dont' let the ammount of snowfall dictate how you think the bear activity will be, last week of april first week of may seems to be the best for quality bears. But good bears are shot at all times of the year as well.
    bring back some pics!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Horse Marine Pass

well I will try it again If it works this time the pic is looking west from Deadman Bay into the pass towards Olga Bay