Thread: Seldovia area for black bears

Default Seldovia area for black bears

Ok let's try this again. Not one person even responded to my last post so I am trying again. I am heading down to Homer with my brother in law next weekend. We launch our boat in Homer and cruise across to Seldovia area and look for black bears. If we dont see any right away we will go and halibut fish for awhile. Has anyone been down in this area either fishing or hunting yet this spring? Not sure if the bears will be out on the beach yet but it can't hurt to look. Anyone who wants to put in their two cents or give a report it would be greatly appreciated.

I have not been down there this spring but have hunted black bear out of Seldovia. I think around the 15th would be perfect. Still a little early in my opinion. Good luck and catch some halibut.

I was out looking in Sadie Cove yesterday. No bears were seen but plenty of mountain goats in the rocks just above he water. The snow on the south facing hills was about half way up. From what I could tell, there wasn't any green grass showing yet.

Well that's a good start. Thanks for the info. Hopefully the next couple of weeks will melt some snow and sprout some grass

I just today got back from a bear hunt (6 days) in an area way south, around the corner from Gore Point from where you are talking about. The weather was bad, wind, rain and snow. We figured we were a week early. The snow line was less than 200' from the water. Did see over 30 bears and took 4. They were small, but that is normal for that area. The bears were all down on the beach feeding on kelp as there was no green grass any where yet. Where you want to hunt the snow line is higher and maybe a little green grass, but did not look real close. Good luck.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

The blackies are out here in Homer not in huge numbers but they are out.
    As for across the bay very few are out but come on down and enjoy the bay and Halibut fishing.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Thanks for the info, gore point looks to be way around the peninsula but might be worth the trip

If you go have a big boat, lots of gas and pick your day for the weather.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    Thanks for the info, gore point looks to be way around the peninsula but might be worth the trip
    That is a VERY long trip and you will cross more than enough water to make you not even want to go halfway. Weather out there can be brutal. Be careful if you decide to go that far.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I don't think we will be going to Gore Point. If I wanted to go that far I would just go to Whittier. We will be just sticking around the Sadie Cove, Seldovia area. If we don't see any bears, we will be halibut fishing so it's fun either way.