Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have to leave bait sight for a week

Default Have to leave bait sight for a week

I am leaving state and will not have any attention to my site in a little over a week. I have not done much baiting but was wondering if the bears eat all my bait, as I am expecting, will they return when I start filling the site again upon return?

They should unless there other baits close by that get re filled more regularly. Just put out some extra bait before you go and you should be good to go especially if you are leaving soon. It is still early in the season. Bears up this way are just waking up.

Have the barrel filled with 200 lbs of dog food/cob mix.
    Have had bear activity, but not much yet.

im in wasilla, have bear bait cert and would be happy to check in on it once or twice if necessary as long as its not to far out. PM if interested. Bud

What is the point of that? If it is empty its empty you cannot re bait it for him. A week isnt bad most people only make it to their stands weekly anyways you happen to live right by your stand and can check it a few times a week. With gas prices the way they are I will be lucky to make it out weekly.

Check the regs..you can only bait another's site if you both have registered the same location (unless your in a predator control zone). A weeks time to let your bait sit isn't that bad (especially early in the season) - give them something extra and hang a Bait Em 907 bait ball, some scent drips and put some black death around your bait site. The extra effort is worth it and will keep scent around when the baits gone until you can return.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Ive let my bait go dry for 2 weeks before and had bears back on it in 2 days once i started again. If there are bears around they wil come back.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    Check the regs..you can only bait another's site if you both have registered the same location (unless your in a predator control zone). A weeks time to let your bait sit isn't that bad (especially early in the season) - give them something extra and hang a Bait Em 907 bait ball, some scent drips and put some black death around your bait site. The extra effort is worth it and will keep scent around when the baits gone until you can return.

yeah dont listen to this guy OR you may end up in trouble

pg 27 from the regs. " ONLY THE PERSON WHO REGISTERS THE SITE MAY PLACE BAIT OR OTHERWISE MAINTAIN THE SITE"

does NOT say only the person who resisters the site and anyone he throws on the sign.

Ok, I'll play. BSJ, is it possible that 2 guys can register the same location independently, and thus place each of their own bait station permits at the same site? I am not looking at the regs, so do you see anything to prohibit that? If not, then how is AO wrong since he did specifically note separate registration, not adding a person's name to a permit? Maybe AO found a way around the rule that is legal?
    And to add another twist, could they each not have the others name added to their permit just to double confound things?
    ARR

This has been discussed before - regardless a weeks time is not a big deal.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post

What is black death????

Quote Originally Posted by arrow99508 View Post
    What is black death????
    Black death is a baitem 907 product I think it's amwatermproof tar like scent in anise you smear around your site.

If they registered separately that means that they re using their OWN barrel not just one and could only re bait their barrel. I am not a trooper but the regs are very straight forward about it. If there is a loophole great until then rules is rules.

I've talked to ADFG about this. All you have to do to have a partner bait is have the partner register for a bait site using the same exact coordinates/location, at least thats what they told me to allow my hunting partner to bait. But to get back on topic, your site should be fine sitting for a week, just stock it full before you leave. Helps to have strong scent around to keep them around as well i.e. Baitem 907 scent products.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post

pg 27 from the regs. " ONLY THE PERSON WHO REGISTERS THE SITE MAY PLACE BAIT OR OTHERWISE MAINTAIN THE SITE"

does NOT say only the person who resisters the site and anyone he throws on the sign.
    You can register more than one guy to a stand. I've gone in and done it before.
    Nice try though.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    Black death is a baitem 907 product I think it's amwatermproof tar like scent in anise you smear around your site.
    Yes, all "BS" aside, it's a water proof scent you smear on trees, etc. around your site that lasts a long time - highly recommended from Bait Em 907.

Put up a camera and you'll know what you've missed. That makes bear baiting 100x more interesting.

Pictures provide a WEALTH of information: Time of day. Frequency. Direction of approach. Consumption. Trophy quality. Duration of visits and duration of bait.

OR,

NOTHING for weeks at a time!!! LOL

Taylor

I left a camera up for an aditional month after season just to see what came back and for how long they would return. I finally took the camera down the first week of July over a month after season closed and I had removed all bait and my barrel and still had the same bears coming back to check on it almost daily. I was amazed that they kept coming back for as long as they did and I wonder how much longer they kept coming back after I took the camera home. I know for sure that it was at least two seperate bears because they had distinguishable marks on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post

Never rely solely on the regulation booklet alone. Why? Because outlined on top of page 4 of the 2010-2011 Alaska Hunting Regulations booklet, you will read "This publication is an Interpertive summary" and "not a legal document and it is not quoted verbatim from state law."

That said, I've been on vacation and didn't have the time to get you the exact verbage to disprove your opinion - until now. Please review the information found on the ADF&G bear baiting clinic weblink under the "Additional Hunters and Prohibition on Trade for Services/Opportunities Provided" section.

The text for that section in its entirity can be found below:

Hunters using the bait station of a registered bear baiter must obtain written permission from that person and must add their hunting license number to the posted sign, before hunting over bait at that site. A bait station registrant may not accept money, bartered goods, or services from someone who uses their bait station (i.e., a "guest hunter"). This does not apply to licensed guides who personally accompany clients at the bait station site. If you wish to legally "place" bait or do construction or maintenance at a site registered to someone else, you should register that site under your own name as well (and post a second sign onsite). "
    In closing, I'll agree with you (in-part anyway) users/hunters should be careful when taking the word of others as fact when researching hunting regulations. You never know when someone's right - or wrong.

I leave my bait station for 2 weeks at a time, you'll be fine. Make sure you have lots of bait and a small hole in the barrel. 4.5" is my prefered hole diameter. Oh yeah, Make sure and have plenty O Bait em 907 Products. You should go to their website and check out their products, or just give Jess a call and she will point you in the right direction. Good luck
    -Caleb-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast