Thread: UCI regulations in state of confusion

Default UCI regulations in state of confusion

I just talked with the local staff about the status of the UCI regulations. What I heard was disturbing. First, the regulations were sent to the LT. Gov for his signing and after they were sent the local staff found numerous errors - 6-9 from what I am told. So a correction was sent up to the Lt. Gov.

Second, staff is still in conflict on what was passed or not passed. It appears the regional staff differ within divisions and between divisions. At the local level even the area biologists and assistant biologists differ. I guess there is a long email train if someone could get it and read it.

So no matter what side of the allocation issue one is on we should all require a full review of the past Board of Fish meeting by the legislature and Department leadership. It appears that the public process is not being followed, confusion is the order of the day, and staff just appear to go along with the powers to be regardless of what is correct. I believe that they are all hoping no one will say anything and this Board meeting will go away.

Just for the record and as an example I asked over two months ago for the Kenai River in-river sockeye salmon goals. How the Board voted on each tier and where in the record that took place. The executive Director of the Board of Fish told me to ask the acting regional supervisor of Comm Fish. I did that ASAP. Last week after hearing nothing I requested the information again - nothing - no response at all. What kind of system is it that something as important as the Kenai River sockeye salmon goals by each tier are not available with the votes for the public to view and see if they match the discussion. Right now it is my understanding from some staff that the middle tier was never discussed and so ADF&G just filled in the blanks. Maybe that is why they do not want to the public to know. Sad state of fish management in my opinion.

I can't remember a year that corrections did not have be made throughout the course of the course of the regulatory year. This year will be no different. It truly isn't a big deal...business as usual...Who on the staff is attempting to Big Deal the issue?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I can't remember a year that corrections did not have be made throughout the course of the course of the regulatory year. This year will be no different. It truly isn't a big deal...business as usual...Who on the staff is attempting to Big Deal the issue?
    Funny Akres, but in my 25 plus BOF fish meeting I can remember lots of years when regulations are done correctly. Since around 2000 this problem has come up and it should not be business as usual - the public deserves to have the regulations passed correctly and put through the system correctly. Not to do so cheats the public.

Relative to who on the staff wants to Big Deal the issue - those who believe that the system should be run correctly and not the joke this BOF was.

Here is an update. The errors in what was sent to the Lt. Gov were corrected via an amendment and sent out again. However, there is still confusion on what is correct and there are still errors that have not been corrected. Staff is still in disagreement on what passed or did not pass. For example, the OEG for Kasilof River sockeye was never voted on by the Board yet staff has made the change based on an internal decision. A second example was the 1% rule for closing the season. The Lt Gov was sent a copy that included only one period needed to be less than 1%. However, the regulations are two consective periods. So that had to be corrected. There are issues with the Northern District also. So at this point the emails are going back and forth, some staff are saying if disposed they will not lie to protect those who are just making changes, and the battles continue. Sounds like a real mess and is the direct result of a Board of Fisheries that does not follow the rules and a chairman who in my opinion wanted to put this in the ditch. Otherwise he is just totally unsuited for running a meeting.

Nerka- Any recent updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Powderpro View Post
    Nerka- Any recent updates?
    A letter from commercial fishing organizations was sent to the AG and Governor asking that certain regulations that were not voted on be eliminated from the regulations signed by the Lt. Gov. There appears to be two problems - one is that the Board failed to pass certain parts of the regulations and the second issue ADF&G made up regulations to fill in the gaps. The lawyers for the commercial fishing groups have reviewed all the tapes and have documented these errors in procedure. For example, one allegedly made up regulation is the turn on for the Kasilof River terminal harvest area. The ADF&G staff put 365,000 as the figure but the Board of Fish never even discussed this on the record. Nothing - not one word. A second issue is the Kenai River in-river goals. The board passed an additional 50,000 fish at the lower tier for sport fisherman but never passed the increase for the second or third tiers. ADF&G just added this in.

There are other issues similar to the above. The commercial fisherman are asking for a meeting with the AG to point these out in detail and they have sent the letter with documentation and references from listening to the whole board meeting again.

Finally, ADF&G local staff met with one AG in Anchorage and informed him that the allegations are true - he was shocked to hear this and was following up on the commercial fisherman letter.

So I guess at this point it is wait and see how the AG office reacts to the letter and documentation.

There must be some serious money on the line in all of this, to pay lawyers to sit and listen to all the tapes must have cost a lot of money! I don't know of any lawyers less than around $200/hour! Heck, even at $100 and hour it is a lot of money to listen to that much tape!

Hopefully it all gets figured out, it looks like the comfishers are on it.