Thread: 98 ZR 600 EFI Backfiring / sputtering

Default 98 ZR 600 EFI Backfiring / sputtering

Aside from gas quality, any thoughts on what might be causing these symptoms? They just started recently, one owner machine for which I've previously had no similar problems, and spark seems fine (starts as usual, etc). I've never had any EFI adjustments and wonder if there's something here and what might be the maintenance to these systems. After 4000 miles maybe it's time to think along this line and/or preventative maintenance.............

THX in advance.

Like you mentioned the obvious things are the first to check.
    Spark is fine but you didn't mention the spark plug condition.

With those kind of miles you may be looking at the injector fuel assembly or the fuel regulator or the ECU.

Is the ECU flashing a code???

Have you noticed an increase in oil use?
    Oil pump spring may be worn and needs to be replaced or could be in need of a recalibration.

Not a serious problem probably just need to do a step by step check and eliminate whats not the prob.

Does it do it at idle or one certain RPM range???

May have to take it to a Cat dealer and hook it up to the computer.
    That could save you some time.

Check your reeds.

hi,
    mine has done that and the prob was the ignition switch and a flimsy killswitch. It switches off or flickers and that causes backfire, however, this is just 2 more possibilities (but cheap ones), also the throttle safety feature.....
    Yensus

Quote Originally Posted by bwake View Post
    Aside from gas quality, any thoughts on what might be causing these symptoms? They just started recently, one owner machine for which I've previously had no similar problems, and spark seems fine (starts as usual, etc). I've never had any EFI adjustments and wonder if there's something here and what might be the maintenance to these systems. After 4000 miles maybe it's time to think along this line and/or preventative maintenance.............

THX in advance.

My sled was doing some weird things this weekend. Does the 98 have powervavles? if so, 1 check that they are adjusted right and 2 make sure the cable is in the servo. (mine came out for some reason)