Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monster Pike What are your thoughts?

Default Monster Pike What are your thoughts?

IMG_8012.jpgIMG_8013.jpg

I know many people have many feelings about pike because they are so hard on fish stocks in many areas. After spending nearly 10 years in NW Alaska I see them differently, Monster Sport Fish! And they are native to that region rather than introduced.

The Noatak Flats produce many big, mean and meaty fish. I have spent many years learning the best spots and the best lures to bring these monsters out of the weeds. My son and I would take 2 -3 day trips into the Flats hooking the monsters. In the 3 day trip we would hook and land 100+ fish in the 25-40+ inch range.

Pics attached

Share your pics and stories!

The debate is not about pike in waters where they are native. It is about pike that are introduce to systems where they have never been and where salmon, trout, dollies, and many other species are native to. Pike destroy the native fish stocks in these systems and decimate salmon runs. The Alexander Lake system is a perfect example. In places where pike are native to, the ecosystem has evolved to accommodate them.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Did you eat those big ones? How were they? How did you prepare them? I've never had pike.
    That looks like fun, hope to show my kids how to bring em in like that!

Yes we eat them breaded in corn meal. We would go out for 3 days 2x per summer. It was 45 miles by boat north of Kotz and the rules were simple. No fish kept until day 3 , only 1 per fisherman and it must be 36+ inches to take home! One year we landed 6-7 over 40 inches with the largest one in the 44 inch range and over 24 pounds! Fun!

I understand that the Minto Flats also have huge pike, like to see some pics from up there!

Walt
    Gulkana River raft Rentals
    Mile 127.5 of the richardson
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com
    Rafts, Canoes and Camps!

Default Minto Pike

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post

I understand that the Minto Flats also have huge pike, like to see some pics from up there!
    Not a huge pike, but not bad for light tackle...

IMG_0980.jpg
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    Not a huge pike, but not bad for light tackle...

IMG_0980.jpg

Very nice!

Never a dull moment with a fat Pike on the line!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love catching and eating pike but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if every one of them in the Susitna Valley was gone. I've been fishing salmon out here for about thirty years and have seen their effect on salmon fishery. Don't intend to start a debate. JMHO
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

nice fish, i love taking the fly rod out with a mouse pattern and hooking into some pike, i remember seeing in fish alaska some spots on the yukon they were getting some huge fish like 50''. i also throw on the scuba gear and get them with a spear gun in the lakes that is a fun way to do it plus you get to pick the fish your gona catch.

Git in the water with them???

What!!

Walt
    Gulkana River raft Rentals
    Mile 127.5 of the richardson
    Rafts, Canoes and Camps!

yea its pretty cool you can swim up to about 4ft. of them before they bolt thats pretty much the only thing to do with my diving cert in the interior.068.jpg11075.jpg here is one of me with a small pike about 70lbs ago before i decided i want to go sheep hunting and another of a friend with a ling cod.

clint6.jpgPike are a blast to fish for ,but the hit is about the only fun part. The fight for about 10 seconds and are done. Fry um up baby..

Hard to beat a pike on the fly rod. Unless I'm ice fishing thats the only way I fish for them. Out of the thousands I've caught over the years it never gets old.

Nice!!!

Where was that big boy caught?

I use all kinds of crazy top water lures but my favorite are Rat and baby duck lures. Toss them into the willows just above the water, pop them back like something falling into the water and Wait! Slow jerky retrieval and get ready!
    I started buying crazy Musky Plugs and many work great for the really big ones, some don't.

Don't set your hook too fast and make sure that you have a steel leader on or it is good by!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    907-822-4290

I love pike fishing...and I'm with you on the "crazy" top water lures. Been to some places so loaded with pike that I was trying hard to keep them off. I used a chunk of the sole of my old sneakers and put a hook and knotted the line to it and 'sadly' was still able to catch 'em.

I have spent a lot of time pike fishing in N. Ontario. The pike up there fight very well, often jumping and freaking out when they near the boat. We lost a nice one once, broke off 15 lb test. About an hour later we caught it, with a 3" daredevil still lodged in its mouth. I've tried every bait under the sun, and nothing beats a hammered copper spoon. Not gold, not silver, copper! Chartreuse/white spinner can be very productive as well. If conditions are right it's a blast fishing the surface with a Suick. Some of the biggest ones I've caught have come on 1/2 ounce spinners or smaller spoons. Bigger isn't always better.

C&R this guy 10 years ago or so, tributary off Yukon. The low water made the fishing awesome...

Read my sig line. I'll go rain or shine, just ask.

I would like to hook my recurve up with fishing gear and try to arrow a few too.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Nothing like pike fishing plan on doing some bow fishing this year would love to hook up with someone who knows minto I live in Wasilla but have been told alot about pike fishing in minto would like to try it

only thing with eating pike is you have to get good at getting out the y-bones. once they are out they are delicious.

Caught pike last year with the FishHawk bow.
    Yeah, I don't want pike to eat all the salmon but they are the only thing you can fish with a bow and a spear. That's worth something!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast