Thread: Moose Calves

Default Moose Calves

When do moose usually start dropping they're calves? Mid May? Has anyone seen any calves yet?

Thanks

I have seen a few errant calves from last year that has been kicked out of the crib by momma to make room for the newest bundle of back straps. It won't be long now.

I have noticed the girls are starting to herd up on the flats. It won't be long now. Seems like it starts right about the middle of the month when the trees are leafing out.
    BK

My guess is most drop between May 17 and May 27. May depend on conditions. I think the big drop in our area is around May 23-26.

When Chuck Norris tells them too. Come on guys get with program

Default calves in the Interior

They start calving in the Interior about the 10th of May.

I have seen them as newborns as early as April (around Easter) and as late as the first week of June. But my guess would be the average would be mid-May.

I was wondering why people were seeing moose calf’s drop at difference times, so I looked the gestation length for moose and found it between 216 and 240 days, mean of 231 days or 234 days depending on who you think is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I was wondering why people were seeing moose calf’s drop at difference times, so I looked the gestation length for moose and found it between 216 and 240 days, mean of 231 days or 234 days depending on who you think is correct.
    Well the other thing you have to consider in your equation is that if a cow doesn't become fertilized in the first heat cycle, she can come again into heat a month later I believe. I remember reading that before, although I can't cite any specific author off the top of my head. The other thing is I have also read that the specific timing of estrus can be related to the how late or early break up occurs in each region. In other words, cows will instinctively go into estrus at precisely the right time so that the gestation period ends right after break up. Again, I am just regurgitating some useless facts that I recall reading somewhere. I am one of those rare individuals that actually enjoys reading useless facts about biology, geology etc. Some people like to read stories. I just like useless facts.

Most research done on moose has shown that in areas with adequate bull:cow ratios 90 to 95 percent of the rutting activity will occur between Sept. 26 and Oct. 5th. With the majority of breeding occurring around October 1st and 2nd. There are a couple good articles on this and one researcher even had himself and a team stand in Denali National Park watching bull moose all day and would record everything they did.

The main thinking seems to be that the photoperiod (shortening of days) drives the moose rut. If you notice some years are rainier, some are sunnier, some are cooler, but the moose always seem to herd up or engage in rutting activity toward the end of September regardless of weather. It's all an ecological timing thing. Have the rut too early and the calves are born too early in spring, calves born too late and they wont be able to put on enough weight for the winter.

Generally you wont see calves until late may, even though some may be born earlier often times for the first couple of days after a cow gives birth they will move very little making it hard to see these newborn calves.

Willow area we see them in the last week of May-1st week of June. Timing on Griz season ending is just about perfect- just as the cow's become incapacitated during birth, and distracted by their calves, and Griz from all around zero in on the calving areas, the season on them closes.