Thread: Kwikfish and single hook

Default Kwikfish and single hook

I don't fish the Kenai, however use Kwikfish a lot. I want to go to a single hook this year to be able to release fish easier. The question is...what is the best setup. I saw one of Doc's pics that showed the hook on the tail, and have seen others with the hook on a 4 or 5 bead chain attached to the forward eye.

What is the best hook size for #14, #15 & #16.

Thanks

Default my .02

no matter what you do, the catch/hook up ratio will go down a bit when you switch from trebles to single hooks on kwikfish. i have battled with the most efficient way to rig a single hook on kwikfish for a while and have settled on one specific method. I remove both rings from the eyelets on the plug, then add a swivel to the eyelet on the tail end...this can be done with a good pair of pliers to pry the eyelet open, then closed again, once the swivel is in place. I then attach a gamagatsu siwash hook to the swivel. These hooks come with an open eye, so you simply squeeze them on using your pliers. Make sure that you get both the eyelet and the hook eye completely closed because I've seen people lose fish when the hook and/or swivel slipped between the cracks. I use 6/0 or 7/0 siwash hooks for k-15's and k-16's if I remember correctly. If done correctly, I have found this to be the most effective way to rig single hooks on quikfish plugs, for several reasons... the hook is placed a couple inches behind the plug to account for short striking salmon (which they are famous for), the swivel allows the hook to stay in place when a fish spins (which salmon are good at), and it also allows the plug to maintain its natural "wiggle" and stay tuned. This method isn't perfect (I'm still searching for that method) but it works as well, or better, than any other method i've seen.
    Mark

I don't really think it matters as much with Kwikfish, with wiggle warts you definately want the chain because they don't run right with just the hook. In a perfect world I'd use the chain every time (actually in a perfect world I'd just use flies)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

If you are a plug fishermen......everything matters with kwikfish. That is what seperates the boys from the men, details!

Default agreed

well said yukon. attention to detail is exactly what seperates good fishermen from great ones. there aren't a lot of secrets left out there, so the only thing you can do to seperate yourself from the hundreds of others fishing around you is pay attention to the little things.