Thread: avon inflable

Default avon inflable

so i got an avon zodiac style boat that has a few issues first is the transome is rotten and one valve is in need of replacment and i am sure it has a small leak or 2 is it worth fixing i have no money in it right now and what would you use to fix it. i am used to taking on big projects and this is more of somthing to do this winter than i need it thanks Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by rmk4x4 View Post
    so i got an avon zodiac style boat that has a few issues first is the transome is rotten and one valve is in need of replacment and i am sure it has a small leak or 2 is it worth fixing i have no money in it right now and what would you use to fix it. i am used to taking on big projects and this is more of somthing to do this winter than i need it thanks Trevor
    Deal with projects as you described all the time... yours sounds of pretty typical repair work for older inflatable sportboats. Guessing yours is late 70's to mid-80's model. Keep in mind, older boat may (and likely does) have some more issues than you are seeing/finding. Nice thing here is you have nothing into it. Question is how much $$$ and effort do you want to put into it realistically to make sea-worthy for a relative time-frame vs. something newer or brand new?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    Deal with projects as you described all the time... yours sounds of pretty typical repair work for older inflatable sportboats. Guessing yours is late 70's to mid-80's model. Keep in mind, older boat may (and likely does) have some more issues than you are seeing/finding. Nice thing here is you have nothing into it. Question is how much $$$ and effort do you want to put into it realistically to make sea-worthy for a relative time-frame vs. something newer or brand new?

i dont mind putting in the effort since it would be winter project i am no hurry to get it done. i am mostly wondering what kind of stuff you use to repaire this sorta thing and cost. i am going to pressure wash it and see what i got for sure. my though is to get it to hold air then see if it is worth putting a transom in it. i dont really have a use for it other than i think it is cool. are the valves and stuff still somtthing you can get for one of these it is a s650 avon i think thanks Trevor

Dunno if you are in the Anchorage area, but it would be worth your time to stop by Alaska Raft and Kayak and talk to Tracey Harmon about this. He's done more than a few of them in his day, and could give you all the info you need on what you're looking at. It would be time well spent. They're the sponsors of the rafting forum and their info is listed here.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Time and Money are great tools you will require both. Yepper call someone in the repair business most are always willing to Chat about the work and what will be required. Valves can be upgraded or changed in most boats sometimes a little modification must be accomplished.

Best of luck with your repair.

I have just went through replacement of my transom twice - once this year, once last year.

If the boat itself is in good shape it would be worth replacing the transom.

You might be better off scrapping the boat and selling spare parts on alaskalist or here or craigs - parts are hard to come by - it seems that most people just throw them away. All of the pieces and materials are costly to buy either used or new. Valves for my zodiac are about 140$ each if memory serves me correctly. I just bought a bottom rubbing strake for about 60$ that Tracey is hooking me up with. Hypalon material is terribly expensive even off of ebay and then you don't know what you are getting.

Is your Avon hypalon or plastic? Glue needs to be done in the right temperature and humidity - but everyone in town does them in their heated shop...it is not like you need a de-humidified paint booth. Preperation work is key to the project. If you replace the transom get the very best marine grade wood that you can get. The initial problem with my first transom raplacement failing, I think, is due to a poor grade of marine plywood. There are several grades and what you might get off the shelf at SBC may or may not work correctly. Seal all holes well with 5200 - when you drill for bolts, covers, wheel attachments etc.

The glue for my hypalon is about 80$ a pint (or maybe a quart??) with the hardener/catalyst etc. Eurethane, if used to provide a protective coating is pretty expensive if you have someone else apply it because of the labor...though the material is not cheap either and there are a lot of different varieties, you need to research this and talk to Brian and Tracey. About $1K if one of the shops in town do the work. Prep is KEY.

Personally, I would call Brian at ARC, 250-2271. He does this all the time at 100 miles per hour!!!
    Goo

Just had a guy in with an older AVON Sportboat... same stuff you are talking about fixing up. His name was Travis... said he had a partner in the project - so had to ask. My advice to most --- *Before buying a used inflatable needing repair work, be pretty certain you know what you are getting into.

Part of this person's AVON fixer-upper includes 4 older discontinued valving issues... after cleaning and some rejuvenating even with cap (he found) they are leaking. Meaning (in his case) cutting into the air chamber to remove old, incompatible 'backing nut' and replacing the new valving (my suggestion) with C-7 valves mounted with new fabric 'doubler". Layout, cleaning, prep, and sequencing the repair are fundamental --- or you are generally more or less wasting your time and money.

Another major repair is this individual's entire transom needs replacement. This job in all honesty will come in all shapes or sizes and rarely is it an easy fix. I'd put it up there with having to eat Brussels spouts as a kid --- YUK!!! I replace all junker transoms now with synthetics. Wood for most people just goes bad again, plus it is difficult to guaranty the perfect piece or lamination of wood these days. I refuse to take on home jobs gone wrong or home made components gone astray for this very reason.

Minor problems are the usual seam leaks, strakes and seam tapes going, pin-holes, abrasions, some UV degradation on tubes --- with cuts/slices, rubs/abrasions, holes, to the floor and hinge-taping coming undone. These details do add up!

Best case scenario... let's say he gets it right covering all Ps & Qs, and the boat goes well a season or two before other major issues like chamber baffles leaking into one another compromising safety, and overall degradation due to age on some things much harder to see right now --- what then the solution?

In my opinion and for yours and others safety sake - very often it's time to get a newer better condition inflatable or suck it up going brand new. On a good inflatable boat, I've never regretted the investment and for that matter the resale.

that is good advice my boat seems to be in decent shape but i think it is a 1975 probly not really work my time to get it fixed up and then have to keep fixing as i am not boat poor at all i have a river boat and an ocean boat so any one want a parts avon raft?