Thread: Quick Whittier Trip - shrimp spot help

Default Quick Whittier Trip - shrimp spot help

Okay so I am finally ready to go run my new to me boat for the first time. Going to Whittier on Wed for a quick day trip with out the kids. Need some quick advice as to where to drop the pots close in to Whittier. Leaving Eagle River around 9:30 so probably not on the water before noon. Have to make the tunnel back to be in Anchroage by 7 pm so maybe 4-5 hours on the water if I am luck. I have heard that dropping pots by the waterfalls across from the harbor is a decent spot... I know steep and deep but any place any one would be willing to post up or PM me? I really only expect to get the pots wet and maybe get enough shrimp for dinner.

John
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

John,
    Your on the right track. I see lots of pots across the bay.
    Good luck on your trial run.
    lets see some pics.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Okay so I am finally ready to go run my new to me boat for the first time. Going to Whittier on Wed for a quick day trip with out the kids. Need some quick advice as to where to drop the pots close in to Whittier. Leaving Eagle River around 9:30 so probably not on the water before noon. Have to make the tunnel back to be in Anchroage by 7 pm so maybe 4-5 hours on the water if I am luck. I have heard that dropping pots by the waterfalls across from the harbor is a decent spot... I know steep and deep but any place any one would be willing to post up or PM me? I really only expect to get the pots wet and maybe get enough shrimp for dinner.

John
    I caught 5 dozen plus another dozen shells from octopus launching may kayak from Smittie's cove and dropping in 500 ft of water after a less than 30 minute paddle so they aren't too far if you aren't trying to catch 5 gallons of tails per weekend. I used two very small kayak sized pots (12"X12"X24") from Alaska Shrimp Pots on an overnight soak. I will say during the day I did ok but I caught 90% coonstripe shrimp.

I was too tired last night to type a reply and let you all know how I did. We dumped the pots across the bay from the harbor by the waterfall with all the seagulls. Put all 4 pots on one bouy and I think we the last two floated off bottom a bit due to some miscalculations by me... oh well. The two pots that where on bottom caught 13 shrimp. 10 big fat ones and three little tiny ones that escaped the pot when I set it on deck. All in all a learning experience and and a good time. Had a couple of minor setbacks on the new boat but nothing we did not get figured out. I did learn that you have to remember to put the ladder off the swim deck up before flying across the bay, they make a heck of a rooster tail and trim tab. The other thing I learned was that I probably should have removed the wide load sign off the back of the boat when I launched it. It was still there after our 20 miles of running around but I sure felt dumb. Going to try again Saturday afternoon depending on weather. If you see a big white Kingfisher out jumping the ferry wake you will know its me.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Well, at least you learned a little something. How long did you let 'em soak?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

The top few pots may have not been floating I have been doing it for quite a few years and on average for me I catch quite a few more shrimp on the bottom pot. Anyone else see this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEAK49 View Post
    The top few pots may have not been floating I have been doing it for quite a few years and on average for me I catch quite a few more shrimp on the bottom pot. Anyone else see this happen?
    Same for me.

I believe what happens with the first or second pot not doing so well is associates with tugging and pulling from the buoy, so I clip on a heavy weight about 50 feet after the last pot; a spitting maul head works good or something of similar weight. This has improved my catch rate significantly on that first pot. Also remember you need to add weight to the bottom of the pots so they stay put and donít land upside down.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Try the area that I PM'd you. I bet you'll do better than you did over by the waterfalls.

While JR2 was out with his new boat.......Me......Jack in Alaska, his dad, and his mother were watching the kids.
    JR2 revealed his two "worm tricks" but I think he has that boating under control. Hang on in rough water John and good luck Sat.

Jack in Alaska on the HIGH TIDE; 26' ProAngler C-Dory

Did another trip today and doubled my shrimp take... woo woo up to a half gallon. Going to get some "shrimp crack" and quit using cat food. Might get one more pot as well as I only have 4 right now. Good trip otherwise. Explored Blackstone bay and Cochrine (spelled wrong I think). Got a big chunk of glacier ice for my boys to use in there drinks on the boat. Only bad deal was a panic stop towing the boat home. Some jerk pulled out in front of the car ahead of me and I had to lock em up and slide a bit. Little un nerving having that big old boat sliding behind you.. Back to my glacier ice Margarita and thanks for the PM's guys. I did better this time.

Default Whittier shrimping

Seems to me that it just depends on how or where the pots set down. some times the bottom is loaded and some times its the top

First time shrimper here. Broke my cherry in Whittier on Saturday with four pots. Didn't know what to do or where to do it, but ended up with a gallon and a half of tails. Learned a lot, like how to untangle a hundred feet of rope on the boat. I saw lots of buoys and didn't want to infringe on other people's sets. But figured they knew better on where to set gear. I gave a distance of about a half mile for the place I chose. Wondering if that was enough, but at least nobody shot at me. Had a blast, and now I can take the wife out this coming saturday to act like I know what I'm doing. Two-two pot strings worked for me with the very first pot to come aboard with 48 spots! No others came in that heavy, maybe with half that count as the first. Man those ocean cockroaches are good. Not a sushi guy, but ate some raw on the salt. Yum!