Thread: How close do you get?

Default How close do you get?

So how close do you get to your animal before you pull the trigger? I find hunting more enjoyable if I try and stalk as close as I can before I pull the trigger. Anyone else do this?

Never had too make a shot longer than 95 yards here in Alaska.That having been said I dont hunt bear and have not yet had the oppertunity to go after sheep or goats. Basically Moose and Bou. I agree sneakin' up is part of the fun

Red face So I close do I get

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    So how close do you get to your animal before you pull the trigger? I find hunting more enjoyable if I try and stalk as close as I can before I pull the trigger. Anyone else do this?
    Sounds like you may be ready to hunt up close and personal. Have you ever thought about using a bow to hunt with? There is nothing better, once you try it you will never look back. I still hunt with a gun somewhat but the majority of the time I use a bow. I am coming to Alaska on a float hunt and I am going to do it with a gun and my partner is bring his bow. Which I can shoot also. Rifle will be last chance weapon. If I knew I would ever come back to Alaska I probably would just bring a bow also. But I would like to have a moose on the wall. It is my dream animal. Think about a bow for awhile and go shoot one and see what you think.

close is the best, i like brown bear at about 40 yards, black at 20-30 yards and everything else can be as close as it wants, shot my mt goat at three yards and one of my sheep at less than 15 yards.
    i tried the bow, didn't like it, to much garbage to carry around, went to a little 10mm hangun and love it to death!! no pun...don't have to carry all the gear, fits in my tent at night, don't have to worry about backup guns, i can fire three shots in the air for help, tough to do with a bow, no tuning and i can carry alot more bullets than i can arrows, if i fall down a hill, guns fine and i don't have to worry. all the thrill of up close hunting with the same limitations as far as distance shooting is concerned and its about five lbs lighter than my bow set up...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I hunt from a stationary location, and wait for moose to get closer. I have called some in, too. The closer moose have gotten to me is approximately 100 yards. I prefer to drop moose real fast while I am hidden in the brush of a high point near a trail, so when the bullet hits they have no idea of what has happened. Then I wait a few minuets until they expire before I get close.

Now, a know someone at work that speared a black bear. He got real close

I totally agree with barko. I got tired of killing things so easily with a gun a while back and started bowhunting, even in places that I could gun hunt. It is way more of a rush than rifle hunting. I missed a monster choclate colored interior griz a couple years ago due to a malfunc of my drop away rest. 20 yards is darn close to a griz thats knows that your there and exactly where you are. Watching him close the distance on YOU from 56 yards to 20 will assuredly get your adrenaline flowing. I also killed a dall sheep at 20 -25 yards with a bow and when the ram fell off his pinnacle home he fell past me at about 4 steps from me, I could have grabbed him if the terrain werent so treachorous. Like many others I enjoy being in the outdoors as much as the next guy and with a bow and having to be so close you often come home emptyhanded. I dont usually allow guns to be used on a bear bait unless its a kid as its not much challenge and does affect bears as to whether or not they will come in after the gun blast from one being shot. On the other hand I do love gun hunting and making longer shots sometimes as well. Its all good as long as the critter you seek hits the dirt every once in a while. I have yet to kill a moose that I couldn't get inside 100 yards of but the other critters can be a little more challenging to close the distance on.

Strictly hunt with a handgun. Two years ago I happened on a problem brownie while at the range. After the first shot I am standing there with a handgun in each hand wondering what would happen next. Don't much like the thought of shooting something that can hurt me with a pointed stick while he is looking at me. Up close and personal is awesome but with Specialty pistols I shoot to whatever and enjoy the longer shots as well.

Neal

Default Until I see the whites of their eyes.

I usually get about as close as the white line will let me...the rest is up to the animal....then I slowly roll down the window and take a good rest. My partner spots for traffic and troopers, and we leave the truck running so it doesn't spook the animal when we turn it off.....then we turn on the spotlight!

Kidding, I figured someone had to say something different but I agree with just about everyone on this one...I like em close, love to bowhunt, but balance how close I get as to how the animal is reacting. Used to stillhunt/stalk with a bow for whitetails all the time and have taken more that way than any other.

That said, I also got a huge kick years ago out of tweaking the loads on my inline muzzleloader and scoping it etc. for long range use. I used it during several regular whitetail seasons and harvested animals up to 130 yards out after lots of practice and picking good shots, it was actually just as gratifying as some of the belly crawls I've been on after all the effort I had put in to get it to shoot.

If I see them and it's a good shot... they're mine!

I hunt public land in the West and long shots can be common.

Default Not far

Originaly from New York I started hunting big game with shotgun slugs. My longest shot 120 yards. I decided to switch to handguns as the laws changed and again, 120 was my longest shot. The farthest I have ever taken an animal with a bow is 55 yards, twice on caribou. I remember once taking three caribou out at about 300 yards with a .243, but they were the only animals harvested with said rifle up near Old Womans Cabin on the Iditarod Trail.

Preference, bow. Closest animal, I could not get the bow up or I would have hit the deer in the head with the arrow, yep, that close. Closest kill, 6 feet. Most kills have been less than 55 yards for any tool choice.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I prefer as close as possible but will take the long shot if it feels right and looks like it will be the only shot I will get.

I shoot my rifles fairly often and know my limits.

Doug

Default close

Brown bear at 40 yards is about right and as close as possible for the rest. If I never have to shoot over 200 yards again I will be very happy. If I don't know for sure where the bullet is going to land on a animal that is not wounded I figure I don't have any right to pull the trigger. Going home empty handed does not ruin a hunt. Wounding and not finding the animal would though.

Probably the animal would have kissed my barrel if it turned towards me. Longest was about 350 yards with my .30/06 on a caribou.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default I do have a bow

barko, I do have a bow and have been on several bow hunt with no success. I did an elk and mule deer hunt in Oregon several years ago and it was very exciting. I seen several bulls that were over 300 class and I could only get within 100 yards.

This year I am going to the TMA for sheep and am taking my bow. I also plan on taking it this May for black bear. I will also be packing a rifle on both of these hunts. I will first try the bow and when that doesn't work I will get one with the rifle.

Red face Bow rifle combo

That is how am doing my moose hunt this year also. Buddy is taking his bow and I am taking the 340. I hope we both get to use the bow. But I would like to bring back a moose.

I didn't answer your question last time either. How close do I let them get. Well If I have a rifle and depending on the conditions and my rangfinder will range them. I will shoot them where I see them. To me with the rifle I am out there to bring home the bacon, so to speak. I know my rifles very well and shoot out to 500 yards very often here at the house. And I shoot out to 800 when I go to the range. Wind and terrian is the biggest problem with long distance shooting. Once you have your data book set for all ranges it is pretty easy. Have a great hunt and I wish you all the luck in the world on your sheep hunt. Barko

Default wait for that warm fuzzy feeling

rifle = 500 yards and in
    bow = 60 yards and in
    M/L = 150 yards and in

If the animal is in these self-prescribed comfort zones. Wind and terrain permitting, I take the shot. Why chance getting closer if I feel comfortable (and that is the determining factor.... am I comfortable with what I'm presented)... I will get closer to negate the effects of wind and terrain (which should go without saying). Why practice long range shots if you won't take them??? Sure we all want to have the animal as close as possible, but taking game at extended range is just as gratifying to me.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Default as close as possible

I always tell a new hunting partner that I like to hear an animal breathe before I pull the trigger. They usually think I'm kidding at first. To me, there is more of a challenge in getting that close to an animal than there is in making a long shot. That said; I'll take the closest shot I can get. If that is 200 yards, so be it. I just prefer to be up close and personal.