Thread: Cheap dingy

Default Cheap dingy

So need a dingy and wife saw at sports mans warehouse the little hunt and fish selvyor thing. I really dunno if I'd trust it but she seems excited about it for a year. Only to get dog off to use bathroom really. Looking for some input. Thanks!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by akfishin View Post
    So need a dingy and wife saw at sports mans warehouse the little hunt and fish selvyor thing. I really dunno if I'd trust it but she seems excited about it for a year. Only to get dog off to use bathroom really. Looking for some input. Thanks!
    It's your call, but I'd be concerned about the dogs claws putting holes in it. They don't have the durability that I would be looking for.

Watch craigs list. Small inflatables show up several times a week.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

This would fit the bill: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/2358797127.html

It just showed up. I bet it doesn't last a couple of hours.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thumbs down No Selvyor

I have several different inflatable toys, one being a Selvyor among various different brands. Selvyor is not something I would trust for the ocean or a dog! The Selvyor I do have looks good and tough, but it has always had mystery leaks from day one. I think it's probably a quality control thing, because I can never find the leak which leads me to believe the seams are not up to par. When I first got mine I thought all the critics about them must be wrong, but not long after I understood.

When we had our big boat, we got a 10' west marine inflatable and a used 9.9 hp for it, ended up using it quite a bit, but primary purpose was to take the dog on and off twice a day. Really like the little plastic walker bay dinghy we have now just for a small boat. Bud

About the only thing I'd trust a sevlor for is a swimming pool.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I think if you buy a sevlyor your honestly wasting your money. There is no toughness ,so to speak, to them. Its just an overgrown pool toy. But if you end up getting one in a pinch do your self a favor and protect it with some carpet of some kind where your dog claws will not punchure the floor or tubes. Also, make sure you get out before you hit shore, or you will rip it. I would also pay special attention to how its transported as there is not much abrasion resistance in straps securing it, etc.... and please don't forget to wear your PFD's. Have you looked at Defender.com ? You can get a basic dingy for 500-700 bucks. http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1&id=215570

The Seabos that Costco sells are just fine for what you say you use them for. I use mine for the same reason (to get to shore and back plus do a little cove snooping when I am anchored) They usually run 500.00 new and have lasted as long as my buddies more expensive West Marine one. I left it inflated for a year, I strap it to the rack and drive down the highway, it sat in the backyard under the snow (inflated) and it looks just fine (except for where the aluminium rack left the black marks)
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Not sure what this dingy will weigh or how much room you have to store it but this would be a great dingy for a 2 person deployment, and your dog claws wouldn't be a factor. http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/2369767181.html

Just got back from Soldotna. Scored a used but decent shape older Zodiak Cadet, 10' wood floors. Should work perfectly I figure...