Thread: Deep Creek Halibut fishing- Mini X and AIRE Sea Tiger

Default Deep Creek Halibut fishing- Mini X and AIRE Sea Tiger

Went halibut fishing off of Deep Creek with a Kayak. Rented a AIRE Seat Tiger inflatable Kayak from Alaska Kayak and Raft and took a friend with me. I used my Malibu Mini-X. First time fishing in a Kayak for her, but she’s a tough Alaskan who commercial fishes so no issues there. Reality is I brought her along to save me when I got in trouble! Couldn’t get any of my “guy” friends to go. Hmmm…

I get there about 10pm the night before. PERFECT conditions just like the forecast. Slept in my car, woke up the next morning to North 10 mph with some chop. No problem, Friend shows up, we drive 3 miles south of Deep Creek campground to get out of the no fishing zone. The plan is to launch, let the current take us South, and when the tide turns, let the tide carry us back. That was the plan at least. At our farthest, we were in 40 ft of water 1 mile from shore.

The wind picks up, the tide turns creating currents that flow against the tide. It causes a chop of one to two feet to form. A fog bank comes barreling down on us and next thing you know it’s just miserable out there. Not unsafe, just cold, damp, windy and rougher than I like. The Sea Tiger was a great Kayak but with so little of the Yak in the water and the fact it’s an inflatable made it tough to handle in head winds. If she got 10 to 20 deg off directly against the wind, the wind would turn her around. We opted to just beach the kayaks and walk 1.5 miles to the truck instead of battling head winds and spray.

It was also interesting the major difference in effect of the current and wind on my mini-x versus her Sea Tiger. That was to be expected but I was a bit surprised how fast we would get separated.

No bites in the morning session. Firend had something… Snag or fish we will never know.
    So we wait for the high slack. We only get about 30 minutes in before the tide turns. Had we been able to fish lonerger, I think we would have a decent shot as the bite was just turning on.

We talk to a group thinking about launching their drift boats. We saw three drift boats total. My friend ends up catching a ping pong paddle and about a 10 pound halibut. She also lands a pacific cod. My tally? Two Irish lords. So Winner by TKO is ! Had she caught anything over 25 pounds, it would have been a complete KO. Next time!

A small skiff trolling for kings said they had landed a rally nice one. I was surprised at so few boats. Maybe the word wasn’t out about the launches. I only saw three or four boats that required a tractor launch. All the other boats appeared to be small skiffs, river boats, drift boats..and oh yeah, kayaks!

But it can be done and I didn't feel unsafe at all. Just keep your composure and know you may have to walk if the currents or winds are not as planned.

Here's a link to a quick video I slapped together.

http://youtu.be/S34cqE-ZUl8

Right on Rudy!! Just came in for lunch and was glad to see your video just posted. Thanks for sharing looked like fun.

Sweet! Looks like a blast! I am looking forward to taking my wife and I's kayak out of either deep creek or whiskey gulch. We have a Ocean Kayak pro tandem 2 angler edition! It was amazing how fast you were drifting!

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Wish I Could'a Been There

Hey Rudy,
    Glad you finally made it out in/on your kayak.Except for a little rock-n-rolling it didn't look too gnarly out there.
    But out-fished by a girl,welcome to my reality too.......
    Are you gonna go again this coming weekend ? If you are ,give me a call.I am done doing the garage sale thing for a while.We did make a little over a $ 1000 so that made it a good weekend.Sunday was so nice ,I was wishin I was fishin all day.
    Once again,cool video.You may have 300 lbs on that little Mini-x but the picture's are great,thanks for sharing them with us all.......
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Hey Rudy,
    Glad you finally made it out in/on your kayak.Except for a little rock-n-rolling it didn't look too gnarly out there.
    But out-fished by a girl,welcome to my reality too.......
    Are you gonna go again this coming weekend ? If you are ,give me a call.I am done doing the garage sale thing for a while.We did make a little over a $ 1000 so that made it a good weekend.Sunday was so nice ,I was wishin I was fishin all day.
    Once again,cool video.You may have 300 lbs on that little Mini-x but the picture's are great,thanks for sharing them with us all.......
    Mark
    Forecast looks good for next weekend. I may give it a go. If I do, I will sure let you know. If I do it myself, its going to have to be a little safer and I'll probably deploy my outrigger while drifting. No problems while fishing, but after seeing her land that ten pounder, its going to be a frenzy of explosive activity once you hook anything bigger than 25 pounds I bet. I think hooking one and getting it to the surface is going to be only half of the battle. For anything over 50 pounds, lots of work left even after the fish is dead.

I have been eyeing up the lakes as well since they are starting to open up. I think I might wait for my light project on that one. But always seem to catch bigger rainbows in the spring time especially on stocked lakes where the breeding size rainbows have nowhere to go so they just circle the lake or are attracted to any little water flow coming into the lake.

As far as getting outfished, she's the girl next door growing up and she has been beating me in everything including hockey since I was in Kindergarten...and I was actually pretty good at hockey in my HS days...sigh.....

OK Buddy ,
    Your on,I'll keep an eye out for tides,weather,and such as well.We won't even mess around with 25 or 50 pounders,let's just go for broke and haul up a couple of 100's instead.Maybe a 50 lb King for good measure.I'm game...........

[QUOTE=Kardinal_84;937565] ...I brought her along to save me when I got in trouble! Couldn’t get any of my “guy” friends to go. Hmmm…

Rudy,

I've been Kayak fishing in Whittier and Seward for the past 3 years, but I never had the chance (or the guts) to try out Cook Inlet alone.

If you wouldn't mind, I would like to join you on your next Kayak fishing adventure in Cook Inlet. I work on the slope so my schedule will be totally flexible when I am home.

Thanks for sharing all your fishing and shrimping adventures.

JT

[QUOTE=AKS2000;937758]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    ...I brought her along to save me when I got in trouble! Couldn’t get any of my “guy” friends to go. Hmmm…

Rudy,

I've been Kayak fishing in Whittier and Seward for the past 3 years, but I never had the chance (or the guts) to try out Cook Inlet alone.

If you wouldn't mind, I would like to join you on your next Kayak fishing adventure in Cook Inlet. I work on the slope so my schedule will be totally flexible when I am home.

Thanks for sharing all your fishing and shrimping adventures.

JT
    Ya, you bet. Let's do it. Typically I am a loner. Like the solitude, I fish differently than a lot of folks. But in this case, it is not only smart, it's almost required. I'd do it alone with an outrigger attached...maybe. But it'd be a lot more fun and SAFER if we had a few of us.

I think with the season getting underway, it would be prudent to consider some type of flag on your kayak at least 3 or 4 ft long. I am going to think about the best way.

Ok, let's keep in touch. If it really starts looking good, maybe we'll open a new thread and plan from there. Let me look at the tides. High or low its all doable. It's just how long and how well.

Something like this maybe...

or

What are you going to do if you hook say a 60lb halibut? I'm just curious (also fascinated by your set-up; I considered it at one time but ended up going with a 9ft zodiac style boat instead)....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    What are you going to do if you hook say a 60lb halibut? I'm just curious (also fascinated by your set-up; I considered it at one time but ended up going with a 9ft zodiac style boat instead)....
    WHOOP AND HOLLER!!!!! YEEE HAW!

Oh...how am I going to "harvest" the fish? Well the fall back option is I am going to cut the line after a picture. I have underwater cameras and such so I can document it pretty well. Uh huh..yeah right...the primieval hunter instincts would kick in I am sure. So I do have a plan. I've caught a few halibut in small power boats and I've done some research. I thought I posted this before but the system is a telescoping harpoon with 15ft of rope tied off to a A0 bouy, some more lines and then a smaller float. I can attach another shrimp buoy to the line farily quickly. total lift 24 pounds. Hit the fish, let everything go. in theory it should be attached to the rod still. Tire it out, cut the gills, let it bleed out. If I can get it on board, great. Otherwise I will tow it in. Once again all theory. every aspect of it has worked for me in the past. I have never just put it all together from a kayak.

Okay. I am going to plan for a trip this Saturday. I'd say the probability if the weather allows is 75%.

PM me if you are interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    WHOOP AND HOLLER!!!!! YEEE HAW!

Oh...how am I going to "harvest" the fish? Well the fall back option is I am going to cut the line after a picture. I have underwater cameras and such so I can document it pretty well. Uh huh..yeah right...the primieval hunter instincts would kick in I am sure. So I do have a plan. I've caught a few halibut in small power boats and I've done some research. I thought I posted this before but the system is a telescoping harpoon with 15ft of rope tied off to a A0 bouy, some more lines and then a smaller float. I can attach another shrimp buoy to the line farily quickly. total lift 24 pounds. Hit the fish, let everything go. in theory it should be attached to the rod still. Tire it out, cut the gills, let it bleed out. If I can get it on board, great. Otherwise I will tow it in. Once again all theory. every aspect of it has worked for me in the past. I have never just put it all together from a kayak.

I'd consider cutting the line like you said...except (1) I like to eat fish and (2) there's at least $20 worth of gear on there between the hook the spreader bar, the weight, the swivel....After initially trying to gaff the first big one I caught (it ripped the gaff out of my hand - luckily it floated back to the boat), I have since towed all (a total of 1) the big ones in. Since I use a 5hp, it's not a big deal, but it is very much like towing a sheet of plywood. I'm not sure how towing would work in a kayak, so I like your harpoon idea...These are from my best day using my boat...

Default Tide Looks Good For This Saturday

It's looking good for Saturday with a low tide of -0.7 feet at 12:45 pm.
    To fish an hour or so around slack tide sounds very do-able.
    I know (I think I do) that an incoming tide doesn't really push you back upstream due to all the current in Cook Inlet but by taking a couple of rigs down it would be possible to put in one place and pull out at another.I'll look a little closer to see if that would work or not.
    I'm getting pumped and the wheels are turning in my head.

A few more pics....

The team!

One of my friends halibut

Just a dot next to even a fairly small boat for these waters...I need to make sure and install a safety flag!

A drift boat getting ready to launch

A few more pics of the May 1 trip

Really nice pictures Rudy,
    And yes your boat does look like a little speck next to that power boat.With 4 guys in it I'm guessing it was about 18-20'.Your flag idea is definitely a good one.
    When I went down to Deep Creek today the waves were not as calm as your top picture.I'll start another thread with details.