Thread: Gulkana and Copper Rivers are breaking up!

Smile Gulkana and Copper Rivers are breaking up!

The temps have been in the high 40 lately in the Gulkana area and the Copper is flooding and showing signs of breakup. The wonderful Gulkana (Lower section) has open leads and moving water so you know what that means...

The Salmon are coming, the Salmon are coming!

Its a little early to plan my first float trip but not too early to start looking at the rafts and getting them ready to go!
    I will let you know when I make my first float trip down from Sailors pit or Poplar Grove. The first trip is always fun dogging the sweepers!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Mile 127.5 on the Richardson!
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com

How much would a trip down for fishing cost?I plan on being in that area around the 20th of June. Is the river open then? I am from Whashington state and I and My son asnd sister are driving up the ALCAN.

The river is open then & it should typically be a good time for kings as the numbers should be strong by then. There seems to be a few different guides working the river & about $125 price difference in them. I can't say if any are better than the others so you may want to look around and do a little research.

Hi Griz:

Trips cost depend upon the number of days and the siz of the raft you would like. Rates are $85 per day for 12 foot rafts(3 people max) and $95 per day for 14 foot rafts. This includes the drop off and pick up. Your dates are right on for the early Kings and this river allows 2 fish per fisherman and we average 30-45 pound Kings and lots of Reds as well but they arrive in July.

If you have dates I can set you for a raft rental when you are ready. If your trip permits you might want to look at a 2 day trip so you can get a good feel for the process and the holes. Our rated are very low and this will allow you to have a great time for very little money.

Walt
    Please check out the site!

Grizz,
    I guess I didn't fully understand your question. Are you looking for a guided trip or DIY. I wasn't sure if you were driving up & would have acess to poles, tackle, wadders, etc... If so then Walts option is a viable one. The hard thing is if you don't know any of the holes for king fishing you will have a good time on the float but the fishing will be hard to figure in a day. Infact it may just be a float trip, even if someone tells you to fish this bend, or that one, if you have never been there it can be challenging to say the least.
    Good luck
    (also the 30-45lb ave. is a little high from what I have seen the last few yrs)

I am looking for both. I am driving up and I have all my own gear. I would like to be able to walk to some good holes from the road. Don't know if that is a viable option. I also don't need to catch a 35 to 40 lb. would like to get into some 20lb though. My son and I fish western WA rivers for kings and silvers and do alright. Also want to be able to hit the Grayling and dollies. will be there from the 20th to about the26th so would like to do 3 day's of good fishing along with some sight seeing.

The Gulkana is a tough river to walk into due to the land issues and trespass tickets that are given out by the native corp. The Public access areas are at the bridge, Sailor's Pit, Poplar Grove, Sourdough and Paxon Lake. There are also a few ATV trails that lead back in as well. Keep in mind that you must stay below the high water mark and they do issue tickets.

With out a raft/canoe it is a tough river to fish.

Walt

Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Mile 127.5 of the Richardson
    Rafts, Canoes and Camps

So I guess my best bet is to go down to the kenai. seems like most of the rivers there you can fish from the banks. The Copper river drainage seems to be all about floating. Well This is the Info I needed so I can spend the limited time I have in the water! Appreciate all the
    Info. Will try and do some Floating next time I am up there with more time.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly14sure View Post
    So I guess my best bet is to go down to the kenai. seems like most of the rivers there you can fish from the banks. The Copper river drainage seems to be all about floating. Well This is the Info I needed so I can spend the limited time I have in the water! Appreciate all the
    Info. Will try and do some Floating next time I am up there with more time.

Nice thing about going to the Kenai, there is more then one river to fish down there.

You wont be able to catch anything in the copper even if you tried since it is a dipnet fishery for a reason,Too much silt in the water makes it like dark chocolate milk.I would advise going to the kenai river and getting either a guided trip or finding someone on here who would be able to show you the ropes,Unfortunately I can't make it down there but I am sure someone on this forum can.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Trespass tickets would make a good fire starter or might come in handy if you forgot tp.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    Trespass tickets would make a good fire starter or might come in handy if you forgot tp.
    you know I have to admit.............while reading this thread the thought came to mind. What could they do to you if you did forget?