Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quartz and birch lake ice

Default Quartz and birch lake ice

Hello My Alaska Fishing Forum "Family" I have started this thread for those of us who are waiting for the ice to back off around 10-15 feet for the best fishing of the year.If anyone knows of the ice backing up at all they should post it on here.Thank you once again.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Okay I talked to the Delta branch of Fish and game and they say around saturday break-up fishing should be a go.I will be heading that way and hopefully I see a few of you lol.

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Heck, I'm waiting on anything that will allow me to "feel the wiggle". I'm new to AK and am anxiously awaiting for these interior lakes to open up. If the local lakes on/around Eielson are any indication, I don't see a lot of open water by Saturday. I'm seeing a couple feet of water around the edges but it refreezes every night. In fact, I saw an Eskimo Quickfish III portable shanty on Bathing Beauty Pond just the other day!

All I can do is prep my pontoon boat, fly rods and other gear....and that's already done. My eastern WA buddies have been hammering them since the first week of March, so at least I get lots of reports to salivate over!

I'm reading that Piledriver Slough and the upper Chena are opening up well, and suspect I'll be tossing flies to grayling before anything else.

P.S. As a tenderfoot, I just have to ask......is it normal for ice to remain on interior lakes into mid-May?

Quote Originally Posted by Raffpappy View Post
    P.S. As a tenderfoot, I just have to ask......is it normal for ice to remain on interior lakes into mid-May?
    I say it truly depends on the weather leading up to may.I think there will still be ice towards the middle of may but it will be a small amount.

So has anyone been by Birch or Quartz In the past week? Has the ice backed off at all? I think If I dont hear anything on here in a few days I will check with the Delta Department of fish and game and see whats going on.I hope to see some of you guys out there for break-up fishing.

Great news everybody Quartz is out about 10 feet according to Delta department of fish and game,Birch however is still iced up to the shore.I guess I will head on out tomorrow morning.Will report back with pictures if all goes good.

Okay I spoke with the delta branch of fish and game and birch's ice is about 6 feet from the shore while Quartz's Ice is about 12 feet off the shore.Well Tight Lines and good luck to everyone.I will be heading out saturday morning at about 4 am.If you would like a ride or anything else PM me.

I'm seeing roughly the same thing on Eielson's lakes. Rocky banks with shallow water are, of course, melting first. A good stiff wind was moving the water, helping things along. To my delight, chironomids were coming off in droves! The forecast is calling for 60+ temps from Saturday on, but I think I'll give it one more week. I'll throw from the bank initially, launch the pontoon later. I honestly don't know how well base lakes fish carryover with these long winters and depleted oxygen, but am anxious to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    Okay I spoke with the delta branch of fish and game and birch's ice is about 6 feet from the shore while Quartz's Ice is about 12 feet off the shore.Well Tight Lines and good luck to everyone.I will be heading out saturday morning at about 4 am.If you would like a ride or anything else PM me.

Thanks everyone for keeping this thread going. After a LONG winter this sounds like FUN! What do ya use for lures? Spinners and/or jigs i suppose?

They've been Ice fishing on Birch all week, so I think it's going to be a while.

True I was gonna wait a few weeks for birch but as far as quartz goes people I know have already started fishing from shore and nailing the spawners with salmon egg sacks.I will be heading out that way to shore fish on saturday.To the above poster it seems salmon egg sacks work the best during breakup.

I like using small white crappie jigs. Casting them on the shelf ice and slowy reel them to the edge, and let them roll off and sink. I have done well with salmon roe/eggs also.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    I like using small white crappie jigs. Casting them on the shelf ice and slowy reel them to the edge, and let them roll off and sink. I have done well with salmon roe/eggs also.
    Sounds great! Thanks much!

Well Myself and about 30 other people spent over 12 hours fishing and being taunted by schools in numbers upwards of 30 fish swim in circles for around 12 hours.Not on bite between any of us.We threw everything plus the kitchen sink at them but they swam around,Under,Above,And even came within an inch of the shore.Now my vent I think anyone who decides to ignore common sense and courtesy and fish on top of people should be shot.I was fishing near my father and his friend when about 10 people came and stood right next to us I swear each person was within six inches of each other and me.I was hooked twice by idiots not paying attention to what they are doing.Ok so in Review...If someone doesnt have common sense I say hook them with a pixie and see if they get any quickly.

Well Myself and about 30 other people spent over 12 hours fishing and being taunted by schools in numbers upwards of 30 fish swim in circles for around 12 hours.Not on bite between any of us.We threw everything plus the kitchen sink at them but they swam around,Under,Above,And even came within an inch of the shore.Now my vent I think anyone who decides to ignore common sense and courtesy and fish on top of people should be shot.I was fishing near my father and his friend when about 10 people came and stood right next to us I swear each person was within six inches of each other and me.I was hooked twice by idiots not paying attention to what they are doing.Ok so in Review...If someone doesnt have common sense I say hook them with a pixie and see if they get any quickly.
    Appreciate the update. Sounds......frustrating!?

That is an understatement....Heck somebody was even trying to net them since they were swimming around in circles in front of us for about 6 hours in a row when he tried that.Heck even the fish and game guy was standing next to us trying to help someone catch even one.I would advise all to avoid Quartz for a few weeks.Oh the ice was like 30-50 feet out on quartz and about 15-20 feet out on birch.Birch has the worst mosquito breeding grounds in the world,We tried to fish birch but we were run off since everywhere you looked a huge wall of mosquitos was flying at you.

The fish although were not the most frustrating part,The Rude,Disrespectful Other anglers were.I have never wanted to knock someone out or hit them with something before but today it was unacceptable what they did in my opinion.

The fish although were not the most frustrating part,The Rude,Disrespectful Other anglers were.I have never wanted to knock someone out or hit them with something before but today it was unacceptable what they did in my opinion.
    Hear, hear. We were at Quartz lake today and tried to stay away from the pack. You only had to turn around to put new bait on your hook and another angler just moved in or threw across where you just had your line. Not to mention the guy with that metal detector that sounded like a car horn played by a child, who loudly exclaimed about every quarter he found, the family that was spread across three piers...

I'm curious what the situation with the trout turns out to be though. They just didn't seem to be in any mood for food today.

Quote Originally Posted by cwaigl View Post
    Hear, hear. We were at Quartz lake today and tried to stay away from the pack. You only had to turn around to put new bait on your hook and another angler just moved in or threw across where you just had your line. Not to mention the guy with that metal detector that sounded like a car horn played by a child, who loudly exclaimed about every quarter he found, the family that was spread across three piers...

I'm curious what the situation with the trout turns out to be though. They just didn't seem to be in any mood for food today.
    I know right It seemed like they had been feeding all day but in reality I had been there since 6 am and yes they jumped and swam in schools right in front of us but they never once bit or even seemed to see our bait/lures/Kitchen sink lol.Oh and Me,My father,And his friend were the first people there fishing on the boat launch and then everyone and their freaking mother decided to come fish there like there wasnt any other place to fish.It pissed me off but my father bless his heart didnt want me to start kicking @$$ and taking names so Since I respect him I chose not to.Where were you fishing at? You may have seen me I was the black guy in his Army coat who kept getting annoyed and going to sit in his black expedition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast