Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Built my first Greenhouse...

Default Built my first Greenhouse...

Finished up this Greenhouse today. Been working on it for 2 weeks. No plans on paper. Just in my head. Even though it was 50deg outside today, the Greenhouse warmed up to 100 Degrees ! ! ! Now what? I suppose i could just keep the door open on the hot days. I left some ventilation at the peak of the greenhouse, but apparently not enough... I have my first seed starts at about 3" right now. They are peppers, hot peppers, and tomatoes. How big should I let these grow before transplanting them into a bigger pot in the GH? This is my first gardening adventure. I'd love to be successful, but I didn't realize how much there was to growing something...
    Attached Images Attached Images

A coupla more pics

Default Hot hot hot

Hot hot hot

Very nice work!

Now that is SWEET!
    A sun sauna
    Nice floor too.
    Fantastic job!
    Well all but: Where are the tomato plants????
    Opening the door works but don't sleep in on a sunny day, I cooked my whole GH full of plants one
    spring when the power was out & I forgot to open the door. I learned it is better to leave the screen section of the
    door open at night than forget to open it on a sunny day.
    My first fan was a cheap box fan on a thermostat that turned it on at 85f.
    Looks like you have room on the front or back wall up high to frame in a fan box.
    I use gravity vent louvers on my fan, air from the fan blows them open.

I built 16" X16" X 8' soil boxes with heat tape in the bottoms for some heat at night
    so I could plant a few weeks early/
    I know they want allot of $$ for a GH vent fan system.
    PM me if you have any ? or want to see my set up.

Again Very nice. Need to put a pic of it in "makeityourself" section. Very nice job.
    You are going to love it for many years. fresh vine ripened tomatoes, UUUUUUUMMMM!

50 degrees outside got you 100 degrees inside? Is that common? This is going to be our first year with a greenhouse. We got a steel frame one with a heavy duty vinyl outer covering. It is pretty good size - 10x12. Good windows for opening in case it gets too hot, but I'm not sure it gets as hot as the more permanent ones like yours with the plastic siding. Hoping to get it up in the next few days and start monitoring the heat levels.

Question about your roof venting - is it just open at the top? Or does something cover the ventilation gap? It is hard to tell from the pic. If open, what about rain?

I really like the plastic walls going all the way to the bottom. Very nice.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    50 degrees outside got you 100 degrees inside? Is that common?
    Yep, that's common. My father's greenhouse hit 118 the other day.

Your little green house looks nice and all , but there are a couple things I would want to do different. As nice as it is having the plastic going all the way to the floor you really need some ways to vent this. Green houses need a good amount of venting and there are a couple ways to do it. Look into the solar powered vent openers. they open and close with no power needed and run about $60. If your ridge is wide open you will want that closed up as you wont be able to hold your heat at night. Getting a green house warm is easy its all about cooling it down and air movement. As for keeping your door open that will help, but when a moose walks into it and doesn't find the door on the way out it could be bad. I'm only saying this because years ago I had a year old walk into my all glass green house and as luck would have it found the door on the way out. Also you get lots of birds that find their way in but don't always find their way out.
    Are you going to add heat to it? just when your tomatoes will be setting on great they will want more heat at night. They love to stay around 65-75. Work on your venting and you will for sure enjoy what you have made for many years to come.
    One other thing is maybe get some metal corners for the roof and wall edges so in the winter 100 mph blows we get your plastic might have a chance to stay in place. Wind is hard on that plastic if it gets a hold of a corner. Looking good!

Looking good... I'm sure you'll enjoy those vine ripened tomatoes...!!

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    ..... Look into the solar powered vent openers. they open and close with no power needed and run about $60. .....
    Dang! The last time I looked for those things I thought they were $100+ each. I just bought two off of ebay for $60.00. We will see if they are any good, but thanks for the heads up.

Thanks everybody for the information. First of all, where can i find those solar powered vent openers. Secondly, I was thinking about framing in a box fan in one of the squares above the door. Should the fan blow in cooler air? or should it be facing out blowing out the hot air? I was thinking of setting the electric timer to the fan for it to come on between 10am and 5pm (hottest parts of the day, usually). the only real ventilation comes from a 2 inch wide gap that runs along the South edge of the building (on top of the 8 foot walls, right where the trusses connect). Also, the other place the GH is vented is the very ends of the ridgecap that I have mounted on the top. I found cool air coming through on the top of the South wall, and the warm air leaving at the ridge ends (East and West sides). But, apparently, its not enough. My question would be: should I put one box fan above the door blowing out? or in? Or should i have 2 box fans? One blowing in, the other out? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I am knew to this and any little bit of info helps. Thank you all again for your time.

Johnny

The fan should be on a thermostat not a timer. You can get inexpensive ones, then you will not blow your heat out on a cloudy day. You will need a vent down low to draw cool air in, unless you left the corrugated plastic open at the bottom. Natural convection wants cool air to enter the bottom and exit up high.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

thank you Garnede !

Google "solar powered vent openers greenhouse" and you will see what you need. I never heard of them before this thread, did that, and see what they are now. Pretty slick.

http://www.google.com/search?q=solar...e=utf8&oe=utf8
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

I've got no good advice here, just wanted to say great wood work. It looks exceptional.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

The best set up is a fan to draw out the hot air and as garnede says put it on a thermostat ,also the best type of fan would be one that has louvers that close when the fan if off . That way you will not be getting a blast of cold air at night and in the early AM. Far North on KGB across from Weld Air carries this type of fan. The thermostat might be cheaper at Lowes or Home Depo. But neither carry the right kind of fan. Good luck

Installed a fan with louvers yesterday. Seemed to work and keep the GH at about 78-80deg. Also installed another set of louvers on opposite end, low to the floor to help with the air circulation. We'll see if this helps.

Great looking structure there, skydiver. Congratulations.

Reading through the vent/temp discussion, if you could figure out low and high vents (like good tent designs), would the passive/convection air flow be enough? Guess it depends on the size of the opening? The end gables would be good for a high vent maybe?

Hmmm. Wondering if I should show my wife these pics though... Thanks for posting the photos and congratulations again.

One more tip:
    Put in a small fan, I mounted mine in the ceiling at a slight down angle to one side.
    Let it run all day to keep air (gentle breeze) moving around inside. I run it in the daytime now & 24/7 next month.
    Reasons: (1) The O2 on the leaves release and draws in a CO2, a little air movement
    increases this chemical reaction helping the plant grow quicker.
    (2) Air movement helps the surface leaves stay cool on the hot days
    (3) Humidity is high inside a GH, air movement helps dry the plant & prevents mold from
    getting out of control & damaging plant leaves.

On the cooing air. I used a fan & louvers on a thermostat set for 85 (good tomato daytime temp).
    I screened the incoming air louvers.
    Alaska has aphids, by the ga-zillions. You will have to clean the vents every now & then & daily
    almost when the cotton woods release their snow.
    I have a screen door I can open on hot days to let more air in & the fan runs more efficient, cools more & faster.
    The roof vent that open are great for convection systems, but I got an aphid infestation by leaving the door open &
    believe me, it was ugly. I plant at least one pepper plant now, aphids attack them first.
    I constantly check it on the under side of the leaves for aphids. 1st sign, I attack with soapy water,
    pull the pepper plant, dump boiling water all around where the pepper plant was to get the ones in the soil.
    So far the screens have helped tremendously, just the cottonwood issue, but better than aphids. (just an idea)

Great info Mudbuddy ! I did grow one pepper plant last year. That thing was nasty with aphids ! Killed the plant dead really quick. Right now, i still have 1/3rd of my plants in the Greenhouse. 1/2 of those have died already. The other half look healthy still, but they are still only about 3" high with 2 leaves apiece. I was hoping they would start to grow like crazy, as they've been in the GH for a week now. YOUR plants are looking awesome and I have to admit, i'm a bit jealous. I didnt realize gardening was such a difficult science to learn. THanks for all your help, and i'll be watching your plants grow...
    Johnny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast