Thread: grouse drumming everywhere!

Default grouse drumming everywhere!

today i had the oppertunity to witness many different ruffies drumming. we must have heard 7 different birds drumming and we saw 2 that were not camera shy. we were bear hunting. no luck of bears but we got to see birds drumming....P3290023.jpgP3290022.jpgP3290023.jpgP3290022.jpg
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Nice pics! Thanks.

Tis the season to watch ruffs drumming, spruce grouse fluttering, and sharp-tail grouse on their leks. Anyone else out there trying to locate drumming ruffed grouse?

I have done 3 surveys in the Houston area. No drumming along the road system I did my stopping to listen. Too many road hunters?? I have heard of ruffs drumming elsewhere. Hope to do some counts up near Willow but will be otherwise tied up for a week. They should be drumming when I get back out.

I used to watch woodcock in the Spring on their "peenting" grounds back in Michigan 30 years ago. That was fun too.

I liked the report of drumming grouse while hunting bears. Good stuff!

I get my new French Brittany puppy this weekend!!! You'd think I was 10...can't wait!!

Miller wrote some cool stuff worth reading about sharp-tailed grouse in a previous thread. Interesting about the incidence of male sharpies and their presence around the lek.

Ptarmigan should be nesting. The high country always beckons....

Wilson's Snipe are out in the mornings and evenings doing their twitter/winnowing. I want to sleep out on a screened porch just to hear the birds each morning.

Hunting has always been more than taking game for me. Its more than a lifestyle. More like a way of life and it's never boring. The tweety birds (passerines) are yellin' big time. It's just another season of the year here you gotta' love....

Guiding has been good to me and usually fun. I still like guiding bears but to be honest I would rather only hunt and shoot things my dog can bring back. Looking forward to it. I guess there is a difference between 'gotta do it' , 'its what I do' and 'get to do it'. I'm takin' a break....I'm going to train my dog. Later I'm going to hunt game birds.... Lord willing and the creek don't flood.

(Can't wait to get my puppy!!!)

When I figure out how to post a picture I will show her.

Would love to see a pic of your pup! I went out a few weeks ago, and heard a number of grouse drumming. I found one nice ruffie on his log! I have been busy with my dog, and putting on a new roof the last few weeks! This coming weekend will be my first free one in a long time! I like your post!

Alaskan Woodsman,

You and I would get along just fine! Nice post.

Interesting, and uplifting that folks are out doing drumming surveys south of the Alaska Range. There is still a lot we need to learn about ruffs down that way. Drumming counts should be up in the interior region, and that's always a good thing.

Best of luck with the new pup! Wish I were getting one but my kennel is full and my wife and daughter would have me committed if another bird dog showed up around here.

Jim

Default 5/5/2011

Observed this guy for a good 40 minutes - grouse.jpg

68 Bronco,

Yep, that boy is staking out his domain and telling you to stay away. Gorgeous bird.

Jim

Great picture 68 Bronco!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Great picture 68 Bronco!!!!!
    Glad you fellows enjoyed it - I actually shot two dozen photos of him and quite a few turned out very nice. He was not too worried about me and got comfortable enough that I was able to rustle around and change my camera battery, have a drink of water, and so on.
    I could hear other grouse probably 100 - 150 yards away, so I think the neighborhood 'social' was his priority.

Cheers

they are such goofy lookin birds and not the sharpest knives in the drawer but they sure are fun to observe.....i love watchin ducks fight over females.....so awesome!

Release Lake Trout