Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooldridge Sport--needs defrost!

Default Wooldridge Sport--needs defrost!

Ok, another question. While it was leaking like crazy yesterday, it occurred to us that a heater blower of some sort would be great. We couldn't see worth a darn all day. I felt like we couldn't maintain a safe watch for other boaters with our windows like that.
    I got home and started checking the sites for boat heaters and such and just didn't find anything that caught my eye. What I would like to have is something I can mount under the front bow or under the dash and have a "Y" or 2 hoses to direct airflow to each front windshield. I am thinking an electric heater because of the outboard. That would help knock the chill offf the cabin, plus keep the windows clear. Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

We use a Mr heater for the heat and a fan moumted to blow on the sheild works great for us.

disregard the image in my post, its of the wrong unit. This one is a water core heater unit. Won't work on an outboard of course.

If its just to keep the fogging down on the window interior, a fan would do it. Warming up the interior is going to need lots of Wattage. Always tradeoffs, inboards allow you to have heat, but no prop etc...
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Akdube, what sort of a fan do you have mounted?

This is something I like..I can mount it under the dash and route the vents right where I need them...but would it put out enough air flow??Attachment 48453

Hey Mark, are you ready to get that boat of yours on the river

looking forward to it. But its got a prop on it right now and my plan is to enjoy the ocean and get some reds/silvers and halibut before I put the jet on.
    how long does it take to install a jet foot?

Its a 12 volt equipment fan that I got at napa. has a wire mesh gaurd not very big maybe 6-7 inchs. this is mounted on my dash pointed up or above or to the side pointed across the glass. You would probably want one for each side with a switch for each individually.

Quote Originally Posted by Whelenator View Post
    looking forward to it. But its got a prop on it right now and my plan is to enjoy the ocean and get some reds/silvers and halibut before I put the jet on.
    how long does it take to install a jet foot?
    An hour and a beer.

Thanks for the replies guys. akdube, does that little fan work well for you??

a little dish soap hand soap or some kind of soap on the windows will keep them clear so you can see also Marita is selling the espar heater that will install under your dash heat and defrost but lots of $

Charterboat Operator

I am thinking an electric heater because of the outboard. That would help knock the chill offf the cabin, plus keep the windows clear. Any thoughts?
    If you are thinking electric, i am thinking looonnnggg extension cord???

I know you have some experience with diesel heaters and might give that some thought for your boat. It would allow you to have a dry source of heat that you could run with your engine on or off which would be nice for your family.

I just installed a Webasto AT2000 in my Arima with 2 ducts/vents on the helm for the windows, and another pair in the bulkhead blowing on the two front seats. And I can easily add a vent in the v-berth if the wife wants it. It's noisier than the big buddy, but not obnoxious. And it puts out more heat than my Jeep ever did. A couple of weeks ago it took all of about 10 minutes to melt the frost off the windows. It certainly shouldn't have any problems keeping the fog off. And, as long as she never finds out how much I paid for it, it will also keep the wife happy on those "cooler" days out in the Sound.

The big buddy heater we had was better than nothing for taking the chill off. But they pump out a lot of moisture, and would actually cause the windows to fog up until it got really warm in the cabin.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I bought one of these for the drivers side windshield, it works ok, has a fan and enough heat to keep the windsield clear (on my side anyway.!). I also use a propane buddy heater to keep it warm when the canvas is buttoned up. the problem with propane is it puts out a lot of moisture. The propane is portable, so thats a good point, a dedicated fuel oil heater wil take some space but with as much HP as you got that shouldnt be a issue.......LOL

I took the funky base off the little electric heater and just siliconed it in place and hard wired it to a switch, it tucked in a corner and out of the way, a 6" fan works but takes up more space.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CEAQ8wIwAQ#
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Whelenator,

I have a 2008 20' Sport and I went through the same thing. I spent about a year debating what to put in my boat, considering BTUs (heat output), and cost. I really wanted to put in a fuel burning boat heater but found it to be too expensive for my taste. I settled on a propane heater for warm and an electric defroster made by Heater Craft for the windows. The defroster is mounted under the bow and I have one vent on the dash right now, I may install one on the passenger side eventually. The defroster puts out just enough heat to defog the windows, don't expect it to heat the cabin. It takes A LOT of power to get an electric heater that will give you the BTUs needed to heat the cabin. Your entire charging system would have to be upgraded in order to properly support that size electric heater.

I am in Anchorage, if you would like to take a look at what I did PM me your number.

Right now I am working on an anchor locker for my sport. When I get that done I will most likely post some pics of that.
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Hey now, I like what AKgramps show's, but like the others, I use a big buddy heater with a dc fan. Napa is the place for it and it does work okay, but I think for $30 buck's or so, I will try out the little dc heater, heck maybe even 2 of em.
    Tony

Akhilux:

Has very good advice adding a one or two heated fans could drain your charging system and depending on if you use a relay or not you could burn up your ignition switch. A single heaterefroster 12v Fairview defogger draws 8.3 amps or 16.6 amps for two. I’m not saying don’t do it, just know what your doing.

Hey akhilux... I can't find any kind of electric defroster on Heater Craft's website. Do you have a model number or a link?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast