Thread: AR-15 Sporter 223 - Safe for 5.56 NATO

Default AR-15 Sporter 223 - Safe for 5.56 NATO

I'm looking at purchasing a Colt AR-15 Sporter Model in 223 caliber. The receive is stamped 223 caliber. Can I shoot the NATO version of 223, the 5.56x45 out of this rifle? I'm under the impression I can, but I heard from some that it is unsafe to shoot 5.56x45 rounds out of a 223 unless it is stamped for both. Anyone have experience with this type of question?

Thanks.

I think the military 5.56 has higher pressures than the 223. Thats what I've heard. What does the manufacturer say in the manual, most will say something about what ammo is not safe.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Check the top of the barrel behind the front sight - it is probably stamped "5.56" and the twist. Also always good to check the manual for suitability.

Quote Originally Posted by Truenorthed View Post
    I'm looking at purchasing a Colt AR-15 Sporter Model in 223 caliber. The receive is stamped 223 caliber. Can I shoot the NATO version of 223, the 5.56x45 out of this rifle? I'm under the impression I can, but I heard from some that it is unsafe to shoot 5.56x45 rounds out of a 223 unless it is stamped for both. Anyone have experience with this type of question?

Thanks.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK