Thread: Headed to Kotz

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Default Headed to Kotz

So, I graduated from UAA yesterday!! Wohoo! Now I can focus on finishing my PPL. I'm scheduled to fly three days a week through June. If that amount of time doesn't get me my PPL...I may need to give up!

I've accepted a job in Kotzebue and will be moving there the last of July. Does anybody know of a plane rental there? I'm so afraid that I'll get my PPL, move to Kotz and not be able to fly. Certainly there's a way to fly up there?! I've teased that I'd have to buy my own plane...maybe it's not such a joke

As far as I know, there are no aircraft rentals or flight schools in Kotzebue. You might consider starting a flying club there.

Youuuuuu'llllllll beeeee sorrrryyyyyyyy!!! Ha!

You might be able to work something out with the small aviation companies up there- There's Baker Aviation and I'm spacing out on the other one. Probably more than that, but I've flown those two into Red Dog. My fiance's cousin came up here a few years back and decided her dream was to become a bush pilot- she got licensed and then started flying cargo and then people up in Northern Alaska.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Ram Aviation works out of Kotz doing fly-out hunting. They might be good folks to saddle-up-to...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

That would be a good place to have your own. Even if you took a cheap 150 or something, it would be worth it.

Look and ask, , I've heard of alotta people getting in hours and such, so it can happen, just ask around .
    Jim at Northwestern Aviation might give you so direction, outta the blue....they are a charter co., maby them as well.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Thanks all. I've thought of a 172, never considered a 150. Great suggestions! Good to hear from you again Chip. Maybe I'll finally get to meet you and your family...and a few caribou?!?!

there is someone doing ppl here. jim i think, a couple people i know are currently flying but im not sure how the plane works if you can rent it for fun to build up hours or you have to be getiing instruction from him. its a 150 i think....anyways there is a school here it just not publicized. prob has enough people.

Thanks cjustinm. Since I'll be visiting several villages every month with my job, I'll be around the airport alot and will check it out.
    Pam