Thread: Tent alternatives

Default Tent alternatives

I'm wondering how many of you folks use ice fishing huts inland as a tent for several days. I have a 14x16 wall tent that I currently use but looking at other options I'm looking for something that is easier to setup and takedown. When I was looking at some huts in the store the other day the idea came to mind. It seemed like it would work but I'm not sure since I've never used one before. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by bkuuz1 View Post
    I'm wondering how many of you folks use ice fishing huts inland as a tent for several days. I have a 14x16 wall tent that I currently use but looking at other options I'm looking for something that is easier to setup and takedown. When I was looking at some huts in the store the other day the idea came to mind. It seemed like it would work but I'm not sure since I've never used one before. What do you think?
    Ice-Fishing tents in general have poorly coated fabrics, plus seam-work tends to be hit and miss designed and not sealed. Most are also heavy and not all that compact for the given space they provide. Any kind of severe wind-loading, driven rains, and breakage to many of the different designs spells the end of the shelter.

Yeah, At best an ice fishing popup could maybe be used as a cook tent or maybe a gear storage place. I know my eskimo tent has plenty of daylight showing through most of the stiched seams. Im sure it would leak water. and it doesnt take much wind to blow it around.

Thanks for the replies. I assumed since they are used out in the open in the winter they would be better than what has been described. Thanks for the help.

I used one a couple years ago out of necessity. It was dry at the time so I don't know how waterproof it would be, but it was windy at the time and it was the noisiest dam thing and wanted to fly away all night. I didn't didn't any sleep that night until about 6 AM when the winds died down. Then guess what? It was time to get up again.
    Now what ?

Hmmmmm I've also thought of this idea recentely. I'm not doubting what anyone has said but I know for a fact that they can withstand some significant wind. As far as water goes I can't say I've ever been wet out icefishing in a snowstorm...actually quite the opposite.
    What type of a hunt are you thinking about using one for? I would not hesitate using one on a an ATV or boat moose hunt. Just my .02
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I love my Kifaru tipis (I have a 4 and 12 man), if you want to consider something similar that is actually meant for all conditions and beautifully-made. Expensive, but totally worth it IMHO.

http://www.kifaru.net/TIPI2009.html