Thread: reduced load .223 for smaller predators??

Default reduced load .223 for smaller predators??

Im going to be doing some fox and bobcat huntng this fall in Arkansas. Maximum shot distance is going to be about 100 yards. I was thinking about building a second upper chambered in .17 Rem for my AR-15 to not destroy fur. My wife and I are about to start on kid #2 so I really would rather save that money. I have a 16 inch Colt in .223. Instead of spending the money on a new upper I have been toying with the idea of loading heavier 55-70 grain soft points somewhere around 2000 fps. My barrel is a 1 in 7 so it should stabilize them. I have a feeling that it should put them down without getting too much bullet expansion and damaging fur. What does everyone think? Thanks for any advice.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

try the nosler balistic tip varmit lead free in 35gr or 40gr. reduce the speed to around 2700fps and you will have yourself a great small critter load. 40gr vmax works aswell...
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

At those speeds will that light bullet still fragment? If so how much penetration can I expect? If fmj's were legal to hunt with in Arkansas I'd probably just shoot them. I'd really like to have a full body mount done with a bobcat and as thin skinned as they are I am paranoid about creating a large exit hole. Thanks for the advice. I will create some of those loads when I get home and do some penetration tests with them.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

the webside says they will fragment at any speed over 2000fps....
    this load is better than a fmj, plus there wont be an exit on anything over a fox. it might not even exit a fox... fmjs are not a good choice. they do not kill quick and ethicly and if you hit bone the hide is gonna have big hole in it....
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

I was looking for something to take fox with in close and maybe wolf at distance. I went with an AR .223 and bought a .22 LR conversion bolt for it. Change the bolt and magazine and you are shooting .22LR, swap back and you have .223. Mine groups nice out to 100yards with .22LR and over 300yards with 223. Check out the CMG 22 conversions on Youtube.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I think it is Barnes that makes a "varmit grenade" its copper and tn, packet super hard, ust like a bullet,excpt when it hits something, it desinigrates, I read an article on it saying that he shot a bunch of ground hogs and none of them had a exit hole, I emagine on something as thin skined as a fox or bob cat it would work ust fine.

If your max shot is 100 yards, what not get a super cheap 22 mag?

As much as I would love to have .22 magnum the whole point was to try to save money and make my AR work. Thanks for all the advice. I'll post pics of what happens in the fall.

just wondering - would reduced loads affect the cycling of an AR? Reducing the velocity (on a 40 gr bullet, as mentioned above) to 2000 fps, would be like a 45% velocity reduction.