Thread: One for a Serviceman

Default One for a Serviceman

First time poster here but I've been reading for some time now. Anyway - thought I'd post some pics.

Here's one of many I am tying to donate for our brave men returning from Afganistan:

And the finished project:

And some more that I'm tying for my lifelong dream that is finally coming true this summer when I take my son to your great state for a week of fishing for silver. Any suggestions on patterns would be appreciated.

That's a pretty awesome idea! Are you selling those at all? I might be interested in buying one. Are you going to put any sort of plaque on it? As far as flies for silvers, the ones in your pics look pretty good. Always have some ESLs, bunny leeches in a variety of colors, popsicles, flash flies, anything with a lot of colors and flash will usually get a silver interested.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Nice ties, man... that is a beautiful donation piece, and thank you for your generosity.

When and where will you be fishing for silvers?

Raptor - Thanks much for the ideas for patterns to tie. I've been tying the bunny leeches and ESL's but no popsicles. Thanks again, No I have not sold any of these - only donated them to parents of servicemen and friends of my son who are serving. It has turned into a pretty busy project though. I've got 11 to get done by Oct. But it's the least I can do for these brave young men.

Jocko - thanks for your comments. My son and I will be fishing Lake Creek off the Yenta River - arriving Aug. 12. Wilderness Place Lodge is where we will be staying. It's been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. And to share it with my son - well it just doesn't get any better. I just cannot imagine what it will be like.

Don't forget some articulation in your flies to. Silvers like that kinds of stuff to. Don't tie everything in bright flashy colors though. Have some darker colors in case you run into gin clear water and also for variety in case they don't want bright and flashy that particular day. Do you plan on selling any of those flies? They would make a great addition to my war room sitting next to my citations from Iraq.

Raptor - thanks for the tips on what to tie for this summer. As far as the framed flies you mentioned - currently I have to finish 11 of them complete with framing. When I get them completed - sometime in the next 3 months - I'll be in touch. In the meantime - you have my sincere respect for serving and my word of many thanks.

I appreciate the thanks for service. Hit me up when you make your trip up here. I'll be happy to show you some spots for silvers

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Don't forget some articulation in your flies to...
    Ditto. Tie up some simple bunny strip leeches, 3-4", in black, olive, and purple... add dumbell eyes and a little flash (or not) but keep it simple. Cast, let it sink, strip slow and hold on tight!

Is your Lake Creek trip guided or unguided? If its not guided, look to fish silvers in the slower pocket water and deeper pools... also, Lake creek should have some good rainbow fishing then so bring along some flesh flies and beads/globugs. I'd have an 8wt rigged for silvers as well as 6wt for trout. Happy fishing!

Thanks much Jocko. The trip will be guided-you can't imagine how much we're looking forward to it. Like I said - I've never been to Alaska so this will be my first time. I'm 54 yrs old and have tied and fly fished my entire life and although I have always read about fishing in Alaska, I just cannot imagine what it will be like. It's funny you should mention flesh flies because that's what I was tying this past weekend. Thanks again for the tips. 3 more months to go!

Quote Originally Posted by steely34 View Post
    Thanks much Jocko. The trip will be guided-you can't imagine how much we're looking forward to it. Like I said - I've never been to Alaska so this will be my first time. I'm 54 yrs old and have tied and fly fished my entire life and although I have always read about fishing in Alaska, I just cannot imagine what it will be like. It's funny you should mention flesh flies because that's what I was tying this past weekend. Thanks again for the tips. 3 more months to go!
    Not to dampen you dream or any thing.....but as a person that lives here, I think sept, or oct would be a better time to fish here. Plenty of silvers and a chance at a 30 in rainbow! How did you decide on the Yetna? That is not a place often picked by people from out of state. But there is good fishing up there. Best of luck to you and please share the results, it is always nice to see the end result.