Thread: Wooldridge sport maiden voyage

Default Wooldridge sport maiden voyage

Ok, maybe not a "maiden" voyage, since my boat has been previously wet. But we took it to Whittier yesterday to test it out and see how its going to run. Everything was fine except the healthy water flow through the top into our laps. Can anyone give me some advice about these things? Can they be water proofed when they leak that bad or am I just going to be buying a new top?
    If I do have to get a new one, can ya'll give me an educated guess for the cost on a top? What is typical?
    Thanks for any info.
    Oh yeah, that boat flies. I have the Woolly Sport with the 225 Merc Opti on there.

You might try 303 aero space protestant. It’s what the installers up here recommend. Pricey but it works for me.

http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...protectant.cfm

What does it do? is it like silicone spray that just blocks and repels water, or is it a "shell" that makes the canvas material impervious?

i'm going with a silicone spray

Quote Originally Posted by Whelenator View Post
    Ok, maybe not a "maiden" voyage, since my boat has been previously wet. But we took it to Whittier yesterday to test it out and see how its going to run. Everything was fine except the healthy water flow through the top into our laps. Can anyone give me some advice about these things? Can they be water proofed when they leak that bad or am I just going to be buying a new top?
    If I do have to get a new one, can ya'll give me an educated guess for the cost on a top? What is typical?
    Thanks for any info.
    Oh yeah, that boat flies. I have the Woolly Sport with the 225 Merc Opti on there.
    I bet that Sport hauls *****!......are you running a jet or a prop? How does it handle the weight of the big Merc on the transom?
    Tell me more......!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I'm still in denial that you bought that rig before I could. Therapy is helping.
    Where is the water coming in? Through the fabric? Zips? Gap between window framing and fabric?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I too use the 303 high tec fabric guard green label, the blue label aerospace protectant,one for vinyl,plastic, use that for the seats,
    http://www.sunbrella.com/cleaning/ma...rs.php?watch=Y
    With that said, In the old days my old boat had more like canvas type top, I used to spray with Tompson water seal on it each summer.. soaked pretty good let dry..I would hide it in the winter, treat each summer,It made the top darker each yr, and kinda stiff, but as long didn,t touch from inside while its raining, or fold it.crease, it worked. I had that top on that boat for 28 yrs, and was still on there when i sold it.That would be last resort, before buying new one..They are costly,even with your old hardwhare.. B.O.A.T..
    Break, Out, Another ,Thousand..

wooldridge tops need to get wet a couple of time s then the fabric swells and the leaking should stop if not call Glen and ask him what to do...

Default Wooldridge sporrt maiden voyage

Akgramps, yeah its fast. Might get myself kilt with that thing. But it feels ok, not like I can't control it. It doesn't feel heavy to me, but I honestly don't have enough time in various boats to tell. it gets on step wicked fast. I let my buddy take her coming back and since he's more experienced, I told him to play or whatever. He got it to 41 on the GPS before the chop just felt too rough to continue. He said there was a good bit more throttle left..about that time I was wondering if we were at airspeed yet. it felt fast.
    Yukoner, sorry about buying your boat man... It is nice but as with any boat, there are little things it needs. Bring On Another Thousand...
    Akmarineguy, this boat is a 2007, and there are several scuffs and abrasions on the top, not to mention its been out in the weather since I brought it home over a month ago, also it sat on the boat at the owner's house for a few weeks before I came got it. It ought to have had plenty of time to "get wet and swell". Not knocking Wooldridge boats by any stretch, I just think its worn out. That much water isn't fabric in need of swelling. Each swell or chop we hit down with there was literally a pile of water came straight down into our laps, the left side the worse. I mean directly through the center of the panel, not along the seems.
    It was just leaking all over, seams, panels, zippers, poles, wherever!
    I would be willing at this point to just paint it with some sort of sealant for this year and get a new one next season.
    Last edited by Whelenator; 05-01-2011 at 21:22. Reason: addition

Oh yeah, it is my plan to call Glen after I played with the boat a couple times and had some questions I can ask him.

About the only way that 4 year old boat top would be toast is it sat out in direct sunlight 24/7 since it was installed. Make a trip down to Busters or Silver Streak and ask them if there is anything you can put on the top to help seal it up.
    Your looking at $1,300-$1,700 to replace the complete top, side curtains, and drop down curtain.
    I'm betting it would be pretty easy to seal it up and a heck of a lot cheaper.
    Tennessee

I don't think its been outside much other than on trips. The owner told me he took it off after every trip and stored it in the garage. That is where it was when I came to see the boat. Inside. The boat was also shrink wrapped each year. The color is good on the top, and doesn't look faded.

Mark,

Put a coat of the 303 high tec fabric guard green label on there and the leaks will stop. I treated it each spring and after the treatment dried it was good to to go. Glad to hear you got out! Pete

question to all--do you apply that 303 with the top installed, or take the top off?

I usually use the green bottle but trying the blue (aerospace protectant) bottle this year. I think it's easier to apply with the top on the boat so that it is all stretched out and in working position.

Top installed to apply 303. Are you going to be showing that beast off at the spring gathering? I'd sure like to check it out. Sounds like it's a real nice boat. Have you looked into diesel fired heaters? Espar or Wabasto are the two that come to mind but you'll have to break out a couple thousand for one. Nice dry air if you plumb your intake air into the cab.

So after so extensive reading on there site you want your top installed and very clean and dry to apply 303 green to the canvas, 303 blue is for the clear vinyl. I stand corrected it is not silicon, it's a "High Tech Fabric Guard" http://303products.com/fabricguardguide.pdf There's tons of info on there site. When I bought my first top the installers just gave me a bottle of the blue stuff and it's all I have ever used.

Thanks for the replies fellas. So do you use one 14 ounce bottle of this 303, or a gallon jug on the whole top? Those little bottles just don't hardly seem big enough to get full coverage. Especially since my top leaks as much as it does.