Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Shorten Oars?

  1. #1

    Default Shorten Oars?

    I have a set of Carlisle 10' oars. Can the handles be removed and the oars shortened then the handles placed back on?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    If the shafts are the common two-piece brake-down type, it would be easier to cut off the the upper part of the lower piece and then drill a new hole for the locking button. Either way the brake will no longer be in the optimal position for strength, but it probably won't matter.

    However, I have seen handles come loose, so I know they can come off. Not sure how to do it without breaking them though.

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 375AIJGS View Post
    I have a set of Carlisle 10' oars. Can the handles be removed and the oars shortened then the handles placed back on?

    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    If the shafts are the common two-piece brake-down type, it would be easier to cut off the the upper part of the lower piece and then drill a new hole for the locking button. Either way the brake will no longer be in the optimal position for strength, but it probably won't matter.

    However, I have seen handles come loose, so I know they can come off. Not sure how to do it without breaking them though.
    Sorry guys, but this info is incorrect ---

    If you make the attempts to shorten Carlisle oar shafts by these means... You'll end up scrapping the entire oar! Several reasons include: 1.) The lower portion of a break-down section (part that attaches to blade) has a second reinforcement pipe on the inside... only the blade is meant to fit into bottom end. 2.) Handles are a component, however these are molded into this segment. 3.) Carlisle presently sells only shafts of full lengths... even the 2-piece will have no parts sold individually as separates.

    Better off to buy new or used shafts. Could also find a source willing to trade.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    OK, well that sounds like it won't work.

    One thing I have done in the distant past when I had 10' oars and needed a pair of 9'ers was to buy one 8' shaft and mixed the two haves with the opposite halves of one of the 10' shafts. The two halves of the 8' shaft were each a foot shorter than the haves of the 10' shaft, so I ended up with a pair of 9's. Used them for years.

    I just happen to have a spare 8' shaft.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    OK, well that sounds like it won't work.

    One thing I have done in the distant past when I had 10' oars and needed a pair of 9'ers was to buy one 8' shaft and mixed the two haves with the opposite halves of one of the 10' shafts. The two halves of the 8' shaft were each a foot shorter than the haves of the 10' shaft, so I ended up with a pair of 9's. Used them for years.

    I just happen to have a spare 8' shaft.
    Sent you a P.M.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •