Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Goat Tag?

Default Best Goat Tag?

Im definitely a sheep hunter, which makes me forget about how much i love goat hunting. Whats the best goat Draw tag and why?

Your question is kind of vague, do you mean overall? highest population of goats, population of B&C billies, accessability? some great areas to hunt these guys are only registration........

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Ok, register for 480 on Kodiak. After you taken your goat, ask me to take you to private property which has a healthy population of sitka blacktails, then when you've taken your deer, call me on the FRS radio and tell me to come and pick you off the beach, on our way in to the lodge ask me to put you on king salmon and halibut. This seems to be the best goat hunt.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    Ok, register for 480 on Kodiak. After you taken your goat, ask me to take you to private property which has a healthy population of sitka blacktails, then when you've taken your deer, call me on the FRS radio and tell me to come and pick you off the beach, on our way in to the lodge ask me to put you on king salmon and halibut. This seems to be the best goat hunt.
    Sounds like a hell of a time! If you added fresh crepes with fruit, whipped cream, and chocolate syrup for breakfast it would be heaven!

AZinAK

has anyone done that 13D(RG580) hunt before? it looks like a small area, is there a few goats in that area?

Wow!!! A guy asks for an opinion on a a goat draw and gets a shotgun blast to the face. I kind of thought info sharing is what this forum is all about.

Mtnclimber - I like the Lake George area hunts because they are closer to where I live and makes the logistics a bit easier. Kahahawai does make a valid point though.

Just my nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Depends on your definition of “best”…best odds for a B&C goat, good population of goats, cheapest to get into the goat area, few other hunters etc, the list goes on…

Southeast Alaska has the biggest, the most and the least hunted….hint

The “best” draw tag in the state for goat would be the Deer mountain goat tags above Ketchikan…IMHO.. And this is why, huge goats in the area, cheap hunt, easy to get there if you can hike, limited hunters, biggest draw back is the potential for sh*ity weather!

what's your problem, toddler?
    i think this sounds like the best goat tag available. only thing is the OP wanted to know about draw tags, and this one is over-the-counter. maybe that is too easy....
    (and i bet jeff could do canned fruit with crepes, whipped cream, and syrup....)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    The “best” draw tag in the state for goat would be the Deer mountain goat tags above Ketchikan…IMHO.. And this is why, huge goats in the area, cheap hunt, easy to get there if you can hike, limited hunters, biggest draw back is the potential for sh*ity weather! ]
    Sorry, there are no goats left in Ketchikan. Bad choice, I think they all migrated to Kodiak.

****, I was hoping there was some left on Deer Mtn, we have a tag for there this fall!....grin

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    what's your problem, toddler?
    i think this sounds like the best goat tag available. only thing is the OP wanted to know about draw tags, and this one is over-the-counter. maybe that is too easy....
    (and i bet jeff could do canned fruit with crepes, whipped cream, and syrup....)
    It sounded kind of curt to me. If I miss read it then I apologize

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Woah thanks for all the input guys! I already hunt a good registration goat area yearly. But i was looking for a low percentage tag of places to get B&C billies versus a big population. And i have a friend who hunted that 13D unit, that area looks pretty big to me! But I'm looking more for a hunt in October or November as my Septembers are already booked up. (13D Hunt ends September 20th)

There are B&C Bills thruout Goatdom ... but as ramhunter mentioned just look at any of the books ... S SE turns the Jumbo Goats (and dominates the list) and it's all over the counter registration hunts except the Deer Mt Draw.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

I dont have any hunting experience anywhere other than the Kodiak Achipeligo, but when I want a goat I have 2 choices that are a 15 minute boat ride from my village. We head out in the morning, spot them, climb for them, shoot em, pack em out and if its still daylight troll for salmon on the way home. I'm always open for new areas that offer the same kind of hunting, I dont camp or spike, I dont even like to anchor and worry about anchor drills. Just my limited experience of hunting here shared, no intention of saying we have the best. I enjoy reading about hunting in other areas in this forum.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I obviously miss read the intent of your post. Again Sorry

Drew

Scott Adams

Toddler you did a great job at answering my question. You told me where and why. Thanks for everybodys info. This is what the forum is for in my opinion. Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Depends on your definition of “best”…best odds for a B&C goat, good population of goats, cheapest to get into the goat area, few other hunters etc, the list goes on…

Southeast Alaska has the biggest, the most and the least hunted….hint

The “best” draw tag in the state for goat would be the Deer mountain goat tags above Ketchikan…IMHO.. And this is why, huge goats in the area, cheap hunt, easy to get there if you can hike, limited hunters, biggest draw back is the potential for sh*ity weather!
    That certianly is good news, as I drew that tag and will be hunting them in October, or November, or December ~ weather permitting!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

RG580 (13D) Got Hammered by a guide last year. Sorry.

The Lake George hunt looks cool.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Default Hum

The one that fills the tag & doesn't get you hurt in the process.

I'd like to have a crack at the tag off of Cooper Lake or the Mills Creek at some point, but the draw odds are so low I never put in for those. Probably not the best B&C potential but the ease of access certainly has its appeal to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast