Thread: New Bowhunter

Default New Bowhunter

My fiancée wants to start hunting with me. She shoots 3Ds really well but I don't know how to approch the situation. I would like to hear what you all think I should do. Should I focus of certain aspects of hunting more than others? Alot of hunting know how is built up from years of experiance, good and bad. My plan is to teach her what I think the basics of hunting and then give advise when I see or can explain things with real life examples while in the woods.

My wife started hunting with me when she was my fiancee. I basically approached it with a "come and see and experience" style. It sounds overly simple, but I just invited her along whenever I was going into the woods, whether it was hunting, scouting, or just hiking around. We hike together all summer (and winter), so whenever I would spot an animal, some tracks, or other habitat sign I would point this out to her. After a few times, I started quizzing her on particulars. When I see a picture of a moose on a postcard or magazine I'll ask if it's legal, when we drive down towards Seward I'll ask whether they are goat or sheep mountains, and when talking about the upcoming season I'll quiz her on basic regulations. Basically, I just make it a part of our everyday conversation. In this way, it's not overwhelming and doesn't seem threatening - instead it just becomes a shared joy. Furthermore, by focusing on the habitat and general wildlife side of things (instead of just focusing on the steps in making a kill), it can incorporate other aspects of her personality and curiousity. Stop and look at the mushrooms and berries, talk about the ravens that are flying around, spend some time fishing for grayling...and along the way prep her for chasing her first caribou or moose. Make her your companion in the woods, not your student. The learning will take care of itself.

-Brian

Default Like a kid

I would start out like a teaching a child. Basic come-a-longs on simple trips. Testing to see endurance and comfort levels. Letting her make the decision on how hard and uncomfortable she wants to be and without amenidies. You just never know, you could have the best hunting partnet of your life on your hands.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Great

My wife is starting to get into hunting with me now. She has been around hunting all her life, I have had a hard time getting her out into the field with me, This year I applied her for some permits and she drew a goat permit. She is excited. I always take her shooting with me when I sight my rifles in and I am trying to get her into bowhunting also, which is what my heart is really into. But I would take it one step at a time. Let her harvest her first animal with a rifle so she can get a feel for it, because as an archer you know it is more of a challenge to harvest an animal with a bow. Unless of course her heart is into archery. I am sure your experience will be great, I am more excited about having my wife harvest her first animal than I am about harvesting anything this year for myself. good luck

Default Thanks

Thank you all for the great information.

Default Becoming an Outdoor Woman

Becoming an Outdoor Woman is a program for women getting into the outdoors. Maggie Lindsey in Anchorage usually runs the program, might be a good start.

There are also some forums out there for women only hunters.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012