Thread: deep creek tractors?

Default deep creek tractors?

Did it open today? Any reports?

did what happen today, report on ?????????????

AAAAHHHH..... Kevin, Tractors are how the charter boats are launched at Deep Creek off the beach.
    Unless I'm an idiot, I think Yukon wants to know if they have starting launching for the season & if they did, how did it go.

I too, would like to know if they are running yet... anyone down in that neck of the woods that knows? Can't seem to find anything on the 'net about their operating season or hours for 2011.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

They looked line they were getting ready to launch when I drove by Sunday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I too, would like to know if they are running yet... anyone down in that neck of the woods that knows? Can't seem to find anything on the 'net about their operating season or hours for 2011.
    Rod van Saun of Van Saun charters would know. He said the other day halibut and kings are out in front of Ninilchik so I'm guessing he got that from somebody already in the water. I'll ping him.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Charterboat Operator

tractors are launching both a Deep Creek and Anchor, few boats, some early king success and reports of halibut, mostly chickens but did hear of one @ 50lbs. Of course all i did was work on getting things ready instead of actually participating, but that WILL change this weekend.

I stopped in on the 1st and 2nd. Very few boats using the launch, and the seas were flat or under a foot.
    did see some guys trolling the shore line south of launch in the legal fishing area. heard of a boat with a couple kings, the 20 lb size.
    halibut were caught too. no size though reported,, .
    launch price is $60 if you pay with cash.
    if you use credit card, its $61.80..
    that seems to be the only change is the extra $1.80 for the c card..
    I will try the launch tomorrow afternoon and fish the eve high tide.
    gonna have to use last years herring I guess..
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I didn't think anyone could legally charge more for using a C/card?

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    I don't think it is "illegal" but I believe it violates most credit card agreement's fine print. That 2 to 3 percent charge by the credit card companies definitely can get someone's attention though. So I think they might get in trouble with visa or mastercard but probably not with "Johnny Law".

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Actually it is illegal in the State of Alaska to ADD to a bill for using a CC, as in a State of Alaska statute. It is not illegal to offer a cash discount, which is a much smarter way to recoup the CC fee. Also doesnt pizz people off as much. The CC companies dont care for it very much either.
    Dont ask how I know..............LOL
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I know that the boat launch has been eating the 3% borough sales tax. I think this is what this is about. He will eat the sales tax and pay it out of the $60 if its cash, so he loses about $1.80 when you pay cash.. so he is really charging $58.20 and the tax is the $1.80
    he gives the discount in this way. if he eats the 3% sales tax, and the 3% Credit card charge, then its a 6% ,,and add that to your bottom line every year, and it adds up alot in the negative column... and lets face it,, he is in business to make a living,, no crime there..
    SO,,,,,,,About the credit card thing and charging the extra to use them..
    We sale Fishing licenses at our store, and as most of you know, there is not really any money in those fishing license sales. we get a
    $ buck for each license.. and that my friends does not cover the amount of paper work we have to do each month to sale them and to do the work to send the money to the state and all the forms etc... If someone wants to charge their fishing license on a card, then I actually lose money. lets say a guy buys an out of state fishing license and king stamps etc. the bill is $200 .. he wants to use his card.. I pay the Credit card company $6. for the transaction, and the state gives me $2. for the sale because it was 2 items he bought... great business plan isn't it,, I lose $4 on the transaction and paid someone to stand there in the store and do that.... Many people just whip out the C card and say, " its says on your door you accept Visa and Mastercard".
    If a business like my little tackle shop wants to stay in business next year and pay my help, you need to do transactions that do not actually put you in the red, right off the top.... along with not really making any money on the sale of the licenses, Or actually losing money, you have to pay your staff to stand there and sale a product that no business on the planet could make a living at selling. the mark up is a negative.
    We have the licenses for sale so people have the service and we hope they buy a fishing lure or a soda pop to help make it worth our time to have them in the store.... sort of a loss leader.... Fred Meyers, and the other big chain stores welcome you to use the Creditcard for the licenses,, they actually figure it into the idea that you get that warm body into your store and the vast majority will purchase something of enough value and mark up to make it worth their time to provide the licenses.
    Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna,,, sales more fishing licenses than anyone on the entire Kenai. They do not accept Credit cards for fishing licenses. !!Cash only!!... They have the sign up at the counter where you get your license, and although they accept Credit card for any other purchase, they know the numbers don't add up.
    I am not totally sure that you can legally force someone to let you use a credit card on all purchases..
    Try to buy a boat from River and sea marine with a credit card after you have negotiated the deal.... They won't take it unless you add the extra 3% to the total.,,, I tried it 2 years ago ,, and they told me absolutely no way on a $34,000 boat purchase..
    just last week I was in Lanes store on K-beach road, the arctic cat, Mercury motor dealer on the kenai, and it says right on each item on the floor for sale that the price is " Cash, add 3% for credit card"
    Its just common sense that a business would just as soon not mess with the credit cards, It makes them all inflate the prices to absorb the 3% plus ...
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Actually it is illegal in the State of Alaska to ADD to a bill for using a CC, as in a State of Alaska statute. It is not illegal to offer a cash discount, which is a much smarter way to recoup the CC fee.
    You're gonna have to dig up a citation on this statement. I've just searched the state statutes and didn't get any such law come back. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, as they sometimes use funky wording in statutes. I'm just not getting any hits on such a thing.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    You're gonna have to dig up a citation on this statement. I've just searched the state statutes and didn't get any such law come back. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, as they sometimes use funky wording in statutes. I'm just not getting any hits on such a thing.
    Well, A few years back I started adding the fee to the purchase price. Finally one of my customers (happened to be a banker), brought it to my attention. We did the research and one of the office gals found the info with the state. Now I couldn't tell you where to look, Its been a few years and I don't keep track of things like that...............
    But the bottom line (IMO), it feels much better to get a discount for cash then to get penalized for using a card...........and I fully understand the reason for charging, if margins are tight no one wants to give a couple percent away, of course the other option is don't take cards........?

So to the best of my knowledge and research, its illegal, if you find out otherwise, let us know............
    TR

Here's what the originators have to say about passing credit card processing fees to customers.

VISA states that "you may not impose any surcharges on VISA transactions. You may, however, offer a discount for cash or another form of payment (e.g., proprietary card or gift certificate) provided that the offer is clearly disclosed to customers and the cash price is presented as a discount from the standard price charged for all other forms of payment"1

MasterCard states that "A Merchant must not directly or indirectly require any Cardholder to pay a surcharge or any part of any Merchant discount or any contemporaneous finance charge in connection with a Transaction. A Merchant may provide a discount to its customers for cash payments."2

Discover states that "You may assess a surcharge on a Card Sale conducted using a Credit Card provided that (i) the amount of the surcharge may not exceed the Merchant Fee payable by you to us for the Card Sale, and (ii) you assess surcharges on card sales conducted using other credit cards accepted by you."3

American Express states that "You must not accept the Card for costs or fees over the normal price of your goods or services (plus applicable taxes) or Charges that Cardmembers have not specifically approved."4

Every originator except for Discover forbids surcharging credit card sales, however, as MasterCard so clearly states, "A Merchant may provide a discount to its customers for cash payments." This statement holds the secret to passing credit card processing fees on to customers. The trick isn't charging customers more for using a credit card; it's charging them less for using cash.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

To Alaskacanoe,
    I just read your post thoroughly and a lot of good points, the cc thing is definitely a double edged sword. It can add up to a lot of money in a years time.........I have never raised my prices to account for the fee.....but have sure considered it.
    One of the "supposed" advantages to taking cards is the money is in your account right away.............but not always true, we tried a new "provider" last fall and they were supposed to be cheaper..........well come to find out that was not the case...........they did not make the transfer right away, they were hanging on to the money for 3-5 days and they had some fees that amounted to double dipping as far as I was concerned. We no longer use that company, if you are taking CC's it pays to do the research and pin down the fees.

I think Soldotna Hardware has the right idea on license sales..................cash only, makes sense to me.
    TR

Pretty much anytime I am in a non chain store I'll ask if they give a discount for cash. 98% say no, so I whip out the plastic and get the air miles.
    On the opposite side, when a potential customer is in my booth and asks for a discount my response is sure, if you pay cash. Not check, but cash. Most will then just use their plastic.
    The amount of bank fee's I pay as a very small business owner are staggering. The widespread use of plastic has pretty much caused price increases in most all businesses that accept it.

But wow, $60 to launch? I'll never go back to Deep Creek unless I can launch my jet boat on the beach myself.
    Tennessee

Don't know how mutch it costs to tractor launch at Anchor PT, I would think it is about the same. But it's over $200 to be pulled out when you get stuck, If the tractors are not pulling or launching boats that have paid. So if your going to do it your self take two trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Don't know how mutch it costs to tractor launch at Anchor PT, I would think it is about the same. But it's over $200 to be pulled out when you get stuck, If the tractors are not pulling or launching boats that have paid. So if your going to do it your self take two trucks.
    I've heard it costs more than double that to get pulled out on the Kenai beach in July. Its a cool homemade rig (beach tires, all modifications to the base jeep are homemade) that shows up, run by a really nice guy. I've spoken with him a few times, but never (yet) had a need for his services. Between calls sometimes he just runs around on the sand, knowing his next client will arrive soon.

I have seen the tractors at Deep Creek charge 250 to pull a truck and boat off the beach and that was at the end of the day when they where not busy. If they are busy they will let your truck go underwater.

On a side note, I have a small business and I charge the extra percentage on all CC transactions. I call it "handling" and it goes along with shipping..... if you pay with a check you only get charged shipping. There are plenty of times that if I did not do this I would actually loose money on a transaction. I used to charge the percentage as a fee for CC use but was told it was illegal to call it that, so you just have to call it something else.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson